Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Fiesta No Steering Lock

nigel3809

Hello All.

After a bit of advice please as the mot is next month.

I have a 1996 mk4 fiesta that has no power steering fitted and no adjustable steering wheel, only the bonnet catch underneath, but it does have an airbag,

First question, did a steering wheel lock come as standard on these cars.

If so then mine does not work what so ever, it would have failed last year but they did it as an advisory due to not being a failure on their system they had at the time, and they said the key was coded (little red plastic thing on the top of the key) though I don't think this is the case.

The fiesta has no alarm or immobiliser as far as I can tell.

Basically wondering how easy is to fix the steering lock, which part or parts would I need and will the airbag be a concern for a person like me with limited skill. Don't mind a garage doing it unless it will cost the earth.

Any advice would be appreciated once again.

Nigel

I believe a steering lock will have been standard on the mk4, yes. The steering wheel wasn't adjustable on any trim level mk 4 either, and the key is coded to the immobiliser, which is what the red thing is on the top of the key. As far as the steering lock is concerned I would recommend a garage, since you could trigger an airbag light or set it off somehow... Both not a great idea.

Yes, it should have a steering lock and immobiliser as standard (red light next to the clock) it should flash and when you turn the ignition on should light for 3 seconds then go out).

Regarding the lock, there is a pin that is part of the ignition barrel connected to the steering column and when you turn the key it pulls out. This may be broken and you'll probably have to get a new ignition barrel which means a new key so you'll have to transfer the transponder chip from the current key for the immobiliser to work. You could use an aftermarket steering lock to prevent theft but I'm unsure if this will be acceptable in an MOT.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Thank you for the replies, yes it has the red light next to the clock :).

Sound like its a garage job then, but hopefully not too expensive on parts if its just a barrel and a bit of labour.

Another question though, I have seen on another forum just this very second that having a steering lock only relates to cars after 2001. Only thing that puzzles me as mot's are normally on the lines if it was fitted from new it has to work.

The forum was called MOT Testing Forums. It goes on to state it is acceptable for a steering lock to be removed if there are other means of immobilisation, maybe that's why it was an advisory last year.

Again not sure on this one.

I think with the steering lock is, as it has one but not functioning and should the worst happen and actually somehow lock when it shouldn't ie when driving could be dangerous.

That's another good point.

I will leave it for now, see what the MOT says which is the end of next month, and let you know how it goes.

Don't really want to spend too much as the car was £300 off eBay, been a good runner these past two years though I have to say.

The plot thickens... A bit.

The trusty old Haynes manual says that there are 5 screws holding on the steering cowling, and no mention of removing the air bag, which is a bonus if true.

Also the lock sorts of locks, once the key has been removed from the barrel, and the barrel rattled a few times, after which a clock can be heard and steering wheel locks.

Wonder if that will pass lol

Sounds about right, think of the steering column with notches on it so may not be necessarily in the right position when you remove the key but a little turn one way or the other and it should latch on. (If that makes sense)

That sounds simple enough to check.

I may have a look at this in more detail on Tuesday. Be nice to have it fixed before the mot if its that simple.

Thanks for all the replies so far

I have had a look today.

Should the ignition barrel have more of a spring loaded feel to it, when both end are pressed together, as mine can be pressed in but then pulled back out.

Otherwise there is nothing obvious as to why it not locking.

With the barrel removed I even managed to lock the steering wheel by using a screw driver and turning the mechanism within where the barrel would go.

I get the feeling the barrel is the problem, but nothing seems worn as far as I can tell, apart from maybe what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

For now I have put everything back to how it was.

Another thing I noticed, in the place where the ignition barrel goes, I noticed a very small spring, (the typr usually found in door locks).

I noticed it felt quite loose, but secure, would this also be a problem. As if that's what the fault is, then I can see this being a very expensive repair :(

Just seeing if anyone has had any further thoughts.

Thank you for the replies so far

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Before I go out and but a new ignition barrel, does anyone know if a barrel from a mk5 or mk6 fiesta will fit a mk4 as they look pretty much the same from the pictures.

Many Thanks

Helen