Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thudding Sounds When Turning Right - Cv Joint ?

ianc65

Hi all, my 2008 Focus estate (1.8L TDCi) has developed a nasty thudding sound when I turn the wheel to the right. These thuds are timed to the road wheel speed so the faster I go the more frequent it becomes - took it on long run after all repairs below and worse than ever, the wheel only has to move slightly from dead straight and thudding begins big style a bit concerning when on motorway!

I have replaced the drop-links, had the wheel alignment checked and adjusted, had all wheels balanced, replaced front drivers tyre which was worn unevenly - all with no success. I have read threads which suggest CV joints but there is no sign of any damage to outer or inner rubbers and no leakage of grease so I'm confused.

Do CV joints wear out, get damaged by pot holes? Car has done 90K

Any advice

Ian

A cv usually clicks and on full lock, unless it's that bad that's what it is

That does sound like CV joints and yes they do wear out, sometimes its just the boots, other times it might just be the full link, I replaced mine twice over 240k km on my old Toyota conquest, good luck

• 2 weeks later...

buying two compete drive shafts (left & right). Will have a go at replacing drivers side first as the sound appears to be louder on that side. Fingers crossed

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I changed both drive shafts and no improvement - noise still occurs when turning wheel to right and is louder if more weight on front left (down hill turn to right). I did notice that the near side drive shaft spines which fit into the wheel bearing had a rusty deposit.

I have swapped all tyres around and the noise is still the same. Taken to garage and had thorough inspection but no obvious wear in any joints or suspension and no indication of wheel bearing failure. I have made a short video of the noise which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0Z7Y6-EQk.

Any more ideas as to the cause - I am thinking of replacing the near side wheel bearing next but if anyone has any other advice I would be happy to hear.

• 2 years later...

I did go ahead and got the front nearside wheel bearing changed and noise has now completely gone.  So 'thudding sound' was a wheel bearing starting to go.  

• Like 1