Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Mpg Of Ecoboost Engines

fiestalux

I work and live in Germany ATM British army

I get it tax free so it's not dear cost me bout 36 pound for full tank of 102. smell pure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford

I used one called Road Trip Lite, it was basic but simple. Don't know if it's still about though!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

How's everyone getting on with that little petal thing which gives you a rating on how you drive

Last christmas me and my girlfriend drove to my parents in law in Hungary from Denmark, a 1600 km trip, put on the cruise control at around 120km/h as it seemed to get the best km/l at that speed (around 5.5-6) averaged the whole trip at around 6l/100km).

I'm finding mine uses a lot more fuel going anywhere over 120km/h for a longer period. Just pumping up the speed to 130 it reads around 8l/100km.

I have a 1.0 100hp titanium.

What are your experience with speed / fuel consumption?

This summer me and the misses will go to Hungary and Croatia from Denmark, planing on doing around 4000-5000km in the summer ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

post-46157-139815129428_thumb.jpg

It only appeared once.

All my petals are green, apart from speed which is 3 petals. Oh dear.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Nagendahl, My car is very new so it is perhaps unfair to judge it but it has the same engine, currently its doing about 8l (overall average) but mainly in slow city traffic plus some open road driving recently. It has however come down from 9.3+ which is what it started it, so it is a step in the right direction.

Around 23-26 normally, guess thats why! Whenever I do motorway it's only part of the journey so I guess it doesn't really count lol.

Yes, Mine is averaging 39MPH, so makes a massive difference, people do slate official figures but you will never get close to them when you aren't making the average speeds the tests are conducted in, such as the below.

Hence why people never make them, Impossible to replicate in real life, plus car makers can disconnect the alternator, mirrors, tape up seams etc to boost efficiency.

Urban cycle

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start where the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. The maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h). The average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km). The cycle is shown as Part One in the diagram below.

Extra-urban cycle

The extra-urban cycle is a cycle that is intended to represent the use of the vehicle on roads that are external to the urban environment. The cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving with the remainder being accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. The maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h). The average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure

The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Nagendahl, My car is very new so it is perhaps unfair to judge it but it has the same engine, currently its doing about 8l (overall average) but mainly in slow city traffic plus some open road driving recently. It has however come down from 9.3+ which is what it started it, so it is a step in the right direction.

Hmm, mine was never that high as i remember, and i didn't really notice any difference in the 8000km i have been driving it from new, but maybe it just needs to be used ;)

Oh. And driving around "normally" (which consists of spurts of watching the mpg gauge and bursts of occasional "who-cares-foot-down-caning-it") I get about 42 average.

That's pretty good coming from a 1.8 diesel where similar driving style got me 45-50mpg. You gotta remember that unleaded is cheaper than diesel. And I'm paying no road tax with the Zetec S :)

I suppose all this reinforces the adage that it's not actually driving around as slow as you can in the highest possible gear.. It's more about driving in the appropriate gear for the speed and load your engine is under.

Oh. And driving around "normally" (which consists of spurts of watching the mpg gauge and bursts of occasional "who-cares-foot-down-caning-it") I get about 42 average.

That's pretty good coming from a 1.8 diesel where similar driving style got me 45-50mpg. You gotta remember that unleaded is cheaper than diesel. And I'm paying no road tax with the Zetec S :)

I suppose all this reinforces the adage that it's not actually driving around as slow as you can in the highest possible gear.. It's more about driving in the appropriate gear for the speed and load your engine is under.

Unleaded is cheaper than diesel? In the UK?

Here its more expensive. (Average £1,3 for unleaded 95, and £1,1 for diesel (both pr. liter).

Yea. Supply and demand I suppose.

Years ago driving around in my first car (a diesel fiesta), diesel was cheaper than petrol. This was before diesels all got direct injection and turbos, so no one wanted to drive them.

Now a days the reverse is true. People wanna buy diesels.

• Like 1

When do you get the petal trophy, I had all the petals but no trophy :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Nagendahl, you are right it really does need to be used :) So far it has not much on the clock but it is extremely new.

MattDRX as for those cycles, I have to say they do look a bit boll*cks and not at all realistic.

Nagendahl, you are right it really does need to be used :) So far it has not much on the clock but it is extremely new.

MattDRX as for those cycles, I have to say they do look a bit boll*cks and not at all realistic.

Of course they aren't, the EU even agree they aren't but the only way to provide accurate figures are to test every vehicle in every environment and situation which isn't going to happen. It's stupid imo as they should just have one test on the road, publish the results and say there you go take it or leave it. But we have to think of the shareholders first you know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

I am not doing great on gearing with the Petals :-(

I don't always change up a gear when the up arrow shows

Ideally to get green gear changing petals you need to be changing up before that arrow appears. That's what I've noticed in my experiments anyhow.

Not too early though, you don't want the engine struggling and near-stalling because that uses more fuel. If you have one of those OBD adaptors and some software on your phone or tablet like "Dashcommand", you can see how wasteful this is... the gallons per hour goes through the roof and so the mpg suffers.

I had 5 petals in all the flowers last time I checked (it's been a while admittedly) - I usually upshift at 3k rpm unless I need to accelerate fast.

If you want to get anywhere near 60mpg you need to have run in the engine to the point where it no longer doesn't like going below 1500rpm...and then never go above 1500rpm. Also accelerate very slowly so as to never let the turbo spin up. If you start to feel the torque surge you've used too much throttle. When I first got mine it didn't like sitting at anything less than 45mph in 5th, now its happy sitting at 32mph on a flat road at 1100rpm in 5th, with the instant mpg showing 80mpg.

On an 8mile trip to work I managed 62mpg there and 58 round trip (more traffic on way home), though it was incredibly boring and probably annoying to people wanting to go faster, but I needed to save the fuel!

If you go over 60mph on motorways then you have little chance of 55mpg+

It is possible to get in the 60's but you have to be very careful and drive slower than most of the traffic on the road. I generally get 44mpg with lots of "feck it, I'm putting my foot down" bursts of speed.

• Like 1

Thanks, GlynnZS, sounds like good advice. I live Luxembourg so am frequently in Germany and given how the Germans love their speed on the autobahns I am not sure if a speed of 60mph will amuse them too much, that said I am not exactly boy racer material anymore:) One advantage though is I can fill up before I cross the border to Germany and save some money on the fuel bill.

I will give your tips a try on a longer trip that I have planned.

Ideally to get green gear changing petals you need to be changing up before that arrow appears. That's what I've noticed in my experiments anyhow.

Not too early though, you don't want the engine struggling and near-stalling because that uses more fuel. If you have one of those OBD adaptors and some software on your phone or tablet like "Dashcommand", you can see how wasteful this is... the gallons per hour goes through the roof and so the mpg suffers.

Gallons per hour never works, my old old astra GSI said I was doing 0.5gph @ 30mph so that's 60mpg right? Like !Removed! it could even dream of that.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

I've had my car since the 12th of this month and I'm getting about 44mpg average according to my car, and the Fuel Log app puts my average at 41.90mpg (over three fill ups)

I got the Eco Champion trophy pop up the other day, and at the moment all of my petals are filled in white.

I do occasionally put my foot down but overall the car is a massive improvement from my 1.2 Corsa so I don't need to rag it to get what I consider good performance out of it

I have had my ST2 for 3 weeks now and I'm averaging around 33mpg which is pretty much was i was expecting to get out of it before i got it

but my previous car MK7.5 Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost which i had for just over a year i was averaging around 45mpg

Darrylw91, it seems we got our cars on almost exactly the same day but you do seem to be driving a little more fuel efficiently than me :) So far I am still doing about 8.3l per 100km (mainly city driving recently in traffic) so that is certainly a large part of the issue.

I used to have a 1.2 Corsa which really needed pushing whereas the Fiesta doesn't so I find myself driving a bit more relaxed. Plus I like to try and get the MPG as high as I can so it's kinda helping a lot :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club