Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Do You Clean Your Car With?

Carnaby07

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this Fiesta world and purchased a 2013 3 door econetic in silver last year. I love it, its nippy and saves me a tonne of money on diesel!!

Anyway, I clean it usually once a week - I work in Weston Super Mare so Seagulls poo on it daily - and need some help on choosing the best products. At the moment I use turtle wax car shampoo and then give it a spritz of Simonitz detailer wax. Should I be looking for a wax? Can anyone recommended any other car shampoos or detailers? Or am I doing it all wrong!!

basically just want a nice, clean and shiny car with protected paintwork! Forgot to add that I use Auto Glym tar remover every few weeks too on problem tar spots.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Sam

Don't forget sponges are a no no, use lambs wool wash mits instead.

I think it's down to personal preference as long as you buy one of the well known brands you should be ok , I use autoglym with no problems although my car is white so I dont know if that makes a difference suppose it depends on how much you want to spend

Really good guide on here to what order to use products and things to avoid

Make a nice cuppa and have a read through mate

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

Just had a quick look at this as i dont have any experience with detailing and all that and i have to say Its a really helpful guide! I will definitely keep looking back at it for tips!

• Like 1

I use lots of Meguiars stuff but I will occasionally use Autoglym, Dodo juice Diamond White wax is a favourite on my silver focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Really good guide on here to what order to use products and things to avoid

Make a nice cuppa and have a read through mate

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

Just had a quick look at this as i dont have any experience with detailing and all that and i have to say Its a really helpful guide! I will definitely keep looking back at it for tips!

Have to agree there's some interesting tips there, but I can't help thinking how quickly the neighbours would start making their kids cross the street when they pass my house if I started drying the car with a leaf blower :)

I'd recommend "Bilt Hamber" products they win nearly all the various tests Autoexpress magazine and with good reason nothing quite like then, go direct or via amazon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

Rain

+1 water and sponge = job jobbed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks everyone for your input, I will certainly read through the link above. Have to agree though that I think the line will have to be drawn at using a leaf blower haha!!

As a side note I washed my Dad's black c-max yesterday and then spritzed on the simonitz detailer spray, and wow what a smeary mess that was!!!

Autoglym car shampoo, and autoglym wax occasionally. I use a microfibre pad for washing and then a good chamois to dry it. As for tar I use a claybar once it gets really bad. Also Zaino prodicts are very good, but once you start using once, you need to go with pretty much all of them. Their Z9 and Z10 leather cleaner and conditioner are amazing and give a brilliant leathery smell in the cabin. Less so since only the steering wheel are leather, but when I do a car with full leathers its a smell that just smells right.

A good drying towel is a must, one with a nice deep pile, the trouble with a chamios is if you pick up the slightest bit of grit you are gonna drag it all over the paintwork causing swirls

i have a 'woolly mammoth' towel and it's brilliant can dry 2 cars with it without having to wring it out

Not the cheapest but defo the best. i've had mine 3 years and its still going strong

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_Guys_Wooly_Mammoth_Drying_Towel_p/woolmamm.htm

A good drying towel is a must, one with a nice deep pile, the trouble with a chamios is if you pick up the slightest bit of grit you are gonna drag it all over the paintwork causing swirls

i have a 'woolly mammoth' towel and it's brilliant can dry 2 cars with it without having to wring it out

Not the cheapest but defo the best. i've had mine 3 years and its still going strong

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_Guys_Wooly_Mammoth_Drying_Towel_p/woolmamm.htm

It's out of stock :(

I too have a silver beast that I wash weekly! Amways shampoo and Amways silicone glaze has done me proud! Feels like glass after a polish! Autoglym tyre dressing seems to keep the tyre walls black for a while too! However after reading the above about Meguiar's Hot Shine, I am keen to give that a go!

+1 water and sponge = job jobbed.

Don't even do that. Let it rain heavy and that will do lol

• Like 1

The thing I'm learning most here is just how many sites there seem to be out there selling car cleaning products. Makes your head spin

edit:

As an aside, do people here use a combined wash/wax (maybe foaming first) then just dry off, or wash, dry, wax & polish? And if the latter - how do you find the time?

Wash, dry, polish then wax. If it's done right, using the right products, you'll only need to polish and wax 3-4 Times a year. Then you only have to keep up with washing and drying.

Also, if your paint is in good condition you can leave the polish stage out.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

The thing I'm learning most here is just how many sites there seem to be out there selling car cleaning products. Makes your head spin

edit:

As an aside, do people here use a combined wash/wax (maybe foaming first) then just dry off, or wash, dry, wax & polish? And if the latter - how do you find the time?

I spend a full day twice a year doing a full detail, the rest of the year it's just washing and wax top-up's :)

• Like 1

Wash, dry, polish then wax. If it's done right, using the right products, you'll only need to polish and wax 3-4 Times a year. Then you only have to keep up with washing and drying.

Also, if your paint is in good condition you can leave the polish stage out.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

I spend a full day twice a year doing a full detail, the rest of the year it's just washing and wax top-up's :)

Bugger. Was hoping for a vote for a combined wash/wax :D :D

A full day? Ouch. Have to admit I don't think I've ever taken longer than a couple of hours cleaning a car - and most of that was hoovering crud out. Looks like I've a lot to learn. Oh dear.

I like my cars clean. Some don't care that much.

I bought a fiesta ZS new in 08 and kept it 5 years. I did my usual routine, spending probably a couple of hundred quid in products and thousands of hours keeping the car as close to "mint" as possible. It might have made a difference in the price if I'd sold it private and the right person came to see it. But, trading it in made maybe only £200 quid more than any other good condition one.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

I totally agree with kristriple on how to clean your car , I clean mine and my wife's car the same, "Am a great believer in if you look after your car the car will look after you"

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club