tmzy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: tommy
  • Ford Model: focus TDCI Ghia
  • Year: 2002

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

hi paul have you checked for leaks in pipes like the boost pipe or the pipes leading to your intercooler.

also have a friend handy to rev the car to 2000 revs and head to the back of the car to see if you have any black smoke or if you can smell anything. if you can smell something like antifreeze sort of smell (best i can compare to) then it could be your clutch going.also might be EGR valve. its quite a common problem.  

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi Tmzy,

Thanks for the reply, I think the next course of action is to have all the pipes checked etc. Thanks for the tip on the revving bit though I haven't tried that, will give it a go and see if we can see/smell anything. I do hope its not the clutch etc or something big. I don't get any gear slippage and seems to change fine. With doing just over 150k miles and no sign on the logbook of things like the clutch being changed in the past it could be anything. The power loss comes at totally random times. Yesterday I drove to work and I suddenly felt the power go. Then getting in the car 8 hours later it was fine. I've found today driving that the engine is very noisy while accelerating. 

Cheers

Paul

#18 mick85

mick85

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

If it's intermitting most likely an electrical issue how often does this occur does it only happen when hot cold certain temperature u can buy little obd box records live data while u drive if no faults showin at least u can see wats going on with live data an wat changes when fault occurs

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#19 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hi Mick,

I can get the issue once in a couple of weeks and then suddenly 3 or 4 times in a week. Totally intermittent and I would say it comes more if I'm careful of my mileage/keeping revs down. If I keep revs up a bit like the regen procedure, the car seems much more responsive. When I lose all of the power, the car is still accelerating but very slowly along with alot of noise. No turbo there etc. Thanks I will have a look a the Obd boxes on lunch now. I would say it happens more in cold conditions than warm

Thanks

Paul

#20 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

I bet the EGR valve has never been replaced although they usually go before 150k. My focus experienced similar problems to what you are describing and it did turn out to be the EGR valve. Dont think i threw up any error codes either

Do you ever experience the revs just dropping off when your say stopped at a roundabout and the car stalls?

#21 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hi APJ,

Thanks for the info, I will have a look into the EGR valve. I haven't had the car stall but feel like its struggling for revs sometimes and a bit stuttery (if thats a word). 

#22 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Would anyone recommend a EGR blanking plate? 

#23 mick85

mick85

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Stainless steel thicker the better

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#24 tmzy

tmzy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

i agree with mick  about blanking plate

#25 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Tmzy/Mick I have ordered a blanking plate to install and try

#26 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hi Guys,

Just with my latest update. I installed the blanking plate in the EGR pipe part. Everything was great for a few days. All the power I'd lost was there and the car was fine. About a week in, the engine warning light came on (which I was warned would happen). I carried on regardless. To look into the engine issues, I bought myself a OBDII adapter to plug in and bought the android software Torque.

On running diags, I get a P0490 - Powertrain fault. This is the main fault I get every 2 - 3 days. However one day the car started stuttering and had a lost of power again. It registered a P2263 Powertrain Turbo/Super Charger Boost System Performance fault.

Once I clear the codes, everything is fine but I find I am in the situation where I have to plug in/clear codes every few days. I just wondered if you guys thought I was potentially damaging the engine/car computer or whether I am fine to continue with this method? I don't know whether I can leave the OBDII adapter in all the time, or whether this will cause problems/battery drain?

Thanks for any help again, always appreciate it

Paul

#27 tmzy

tmzy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

might cause battery drain but im not sure as i havent bought anything for my focus as yet. i would check o2 sensor or turbo boost pressure sensor. but im running out of ideas now

#28 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,076 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Sounds like something else is not helping check the wiring as you may have knocked a wire loose during egr installation?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

#29 crazyshelby

crazyshelby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ok thanks guys I will check the wiring, as long as the blanking plate is not doing any lasting damage

#30 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Just with my latest update. I installed the blanking plate in the EGR pipe part. Everything was great for a few days. All the power I'd lost was there and the car was fine. About a week in, the engine warning light came on (which I was warned would happen). I carried on regardless. To look into the engine issues, I bought myself a OBDII adapter to plug in and bought the android software Torque.

On running diags, I get a P0490 - Powertrain fault. This is the main fault I get every 2 - 3 days. However one day the car started stuttering and had a lost of power again. It registered a P2263 Powertrain Turbo/Super Charger Boost System Performance fault.

Once I clear the codes, everything is fine but I find I am in the situation where I have to plug in/clear codes every few days. I just wondered if you guys thought I was potentially damaging the engine/car computer or whether I am fine to continue with this method? I don't know whether I can leave the OBDII adapter in all the time, or whether this will cause problems/battery drain?

Thanks for any help again, always appreciate it

Paul

Ok thanks guys I will check the wiring, as long as the blanking plate is not doing any lasting damage

It won't be the EGR blanking plate - a correctly fitted blanking plate is highly unlikely to do any damage - it will be something else unrelated / a seperate underlying fault -

EGR plates have been unfairly blamed for causing limp (home) mode, in every case i was involved in of this,  when the issue was further persued, it was found to be somthing else causing this, not the EGR blanking plate    

It sounds like you have a turbo fault - your VNT mech can get coked up over time (especially if the car is driven round town/ sedately mostly without a regular hard run) - if the VNT gets coked up it can cause too little boost (laggy, loss of power) or too muck boost (ECU puts engine ito limp (home) mode to protect engine due to too much boost when the car is driven harder)  

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users