Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Rattle - Mk 4 Mondeo

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So another minor niggle I have with my car is a slight rattle, it seems to be coming from the nearside seemingly front end? as I drive over some bumpy roads I hear a kind of plastic'y rattle on ocassion, also if I drive the car in a high gear (6th at 30) I hear the usual "choose the right gear you idiot" vibration and noise, but also hear the plastic!

I have had the car to two garages now, both of which have checked it over and dont appear to be able to find the issue! the car has been on two lifts, wheels suspended and standing on wheels, neither appear to show an issue, the other garage has tried to pull the wheel off generally speaking and couldnt find an issue!

so I have a mysterious rattle, that Is intermittent and I cant fully pin down, I was wondering if there where any known rattles that I might have overlooked?

I noticed that there is a marginal knocking of the airbox heading towards the grill, I have "secured" this with amalgamating tape, but this didnt help, also the battery box had a loose vibration, but removing this also has not helped.

Anyone have any words of wisdom they could offer?

Mine has rattles and it is not even 2 years old yet. Going to get the garage to take another look during the service in June/July.

They did fix a bad one though on mine, it was the insulation had come away/moved from the plastic of the dash where it meets the windscreen.

I know it is not the same car, but your description of the rattle is pretty much the same mine was. You can see on mine now, from the outside, at the bottom of the windscreen the insulation just poking out beneath the plastic.

Im with you on that one Alex, but of all the mechs I have had in the car with me, the noise certainly appears to be exterior.

Before I got the car, I know they replaced the pads, I have had a look but cant see anything around there that might be the issue.

I suspect it will be something that Ford might pick up on in a year when it goes for its next service!

Anyone have any words of wisdom they could offer?

I have some words; I'm sorry, but that's all that I can offer.

I noticed that there is a marginal knocking of the airbox heading towards the grill...

Easy bit first!

When I took my car in for a service, the Ford dealer said that there was one of the rubber mounts for the air filter missing. I'd noticed that the filter housing did wobble about a bit, particularly when starting, but I hadn't realised that it was supposed to have a 'foot' more. Now I'm not sure exactly what list of bits they wanted to replace to get this fixed, but it wasn't as simple as '...buy this rubber mount...' and fit it. (And, slightly irritatingly, I can only believe that the foot went missing when it was serviced - so a Ford dealer would have lost it, in the first place.)

What I actually did was to just drop a rubber (normal eraser) between the air filter box and the fuse box. Not only has it held in place, without any glue or tape (it is into a tapered gap, and you just need to push it in), but it doesn't seem to have melted, or anything and seems to have done the job. Colour me more surprised than a very surprised person. And then some.

...so I have a mysterious rattle, that Is intermittent and I cant fully pin down, I was wondering if there where any known rattles that I might have overlooked?

I had one of those, too, and I was more than a bit peeved by it. I mean, you buy a car that has done a fair few miles, without developing rattles, and then a couple of months after you have bought it, it suddenly starts rattling at you. Unfair, or what?

I couldn't really track down where the rattle was coming from (passenger door? glovebox?), but it was irritating. Well, in the end, it was quite the simplest thing. Sunglasses rattling in the overhead sunglasses holder. Cure: keep sunglasses in a soft sunglasses wallet in the overhead sunglasses holder.

Ho, hum.

I have some words; I'm sorry, but that's all that I can offer.

Easy bit first!

When I took my car in for a service, the Ford dealer said that there was one of the rubber mounts for the air filter missing. I'd noticed that the filter housing did wobble about a bit, particularly when starting, but I hadn't realised that it was supposed to have a 'foot' more. Now I'm not sure exactly what list of bits they wanted to replace to get this fixed, but it wasn't as simple as '...buy this rubber mount...' and fit it. (And, slightly irritatingly, I can only believe that the foot went missing when it was serviced - so a Ford dealer would have lost it, in the first place.)

What I actually did was to just drop a rubber (normal eraser) between the air filter box and the fuse box. Not only has it held in place, without any glue or tape (it is into a tapered gap, and you just need to push it in), but it doesn't seem to have melted, or anything and seems to have done the job. Colour me more surprised than a very surprised person. And then some.

I had one of those, too, and I was more than a bit peeved by it. I mean, you buy a car that has done a fair few miles, without developing rattles, and then a couple of months after you have bought it, it suddenly starts rattling at you. Unfair, or what?

I couldn't really track down where the rattle was coming from (passenger door? glovebox?), but it was irritating. Well, in the end, it was quite the simplest thing. Sunglasses rattling in the overhead sunglasses holder. Cure: keep sunglasses in a soft sunglasses wallet in the overhead sunglasses holder.

Ho, hum.

I keep forgetting about them, I swear I am going to leave them in there when I give the car back if it is not the summer at the time, lol.

Might have to try that on mine, I have put everything in the glove box in soft bags in my car to stop any rattles, but my sunglasses did come with a soft bag to put them in....

Could it be the plastic arch liner or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Could be, the noise seems to be somewhere around there I'm tempted to secure an old phone with recorder running to track it down!

Come to think of it, before I bought the car the brake pads at least where changed on that side, so wondering if it could be related...

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Could it be that the pads were put in with no anti squeal shim or copper slip and it's making a noise from time to time?

I had exactly that problem on my civic type R.

When does it make the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

That thought did cross my mind, but as it's more a rattle than squeak or squeal it's further down on my considerations, however when I get a bit more back to strength I probably will be taking the wheels off anyway so can fidget with the brake pads and see if there is any play.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app