Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Start Of The Day!

Lostinspace

Hi

I have a 2.0L diesel on an 11 plate. Very good car, done 86k miles and no problems until some weeks ago when starting from cold first thing the morning. It fires ok and for several seconds runs well but then develops a "misfire" and runs very lumpy. If you try an get the engine to clear by gently pressing the throttle it may run worse or even stall. After maybe 2/3 minutes the problem will apparently clear and drive on 4 cylinders but with a prnounced rattle when accelarating. As the engine warms up so the rattle will disappear. Fuel consumption and performance is good when warm/hot. If car is left for hours during the rest of the day the problem will not appear until the following morning. Left car in garage last night so it was warmer by 4 degees and problem was no where near so bad. Is there a temperature sensor that controls the cold start for example? Any other ideas please?

Mike

Update, the last few days have been warmer and consequently the "misfire" while the same does not persist as long and today its 18degrees outside and the problem has almost disapppeared. There must be a sensor somewhere that detcts temperature and controls cold starting..........its beyond me. All comments would be welcome please.

Sounds like it could be a glow plug issue. How long does it take the glow plug light to go out on the car when you start it?

I had a similar situation recently, although it was more of an almost stall but recovered, and it seems to be related to the glow plugs (having covered 111k) its something I will look to do if it gets worse!

Hi, thanks for your reply. The car has run today and therefore still a bit warm I guess. Consequently when turning on the ignition (its keyless - why?) there is no light on the dash that relates to the glow plugs i.e. like a pair of zero's or glasses. Will have to check in the morning I guess. Will let you know. Thanks again

if its diesel, it should have a yellow coil icon that comes on for a few seconds!

icon26.png

You might need to do a diagnostic to check the bulb works!

What is the situation with regard to its service history, and more specifically when was it last serviced and what oil was used?

I thought I had replied to the service question but cannot see it. Car is serviced regularily and maintained as per the manual etc etc.

However the gloplug light did not illuminate this morning and the engine staggered into life. THought this was was the answer but checked with owner of C Max 2.0 and their light did not come on either.

I will check the fuses at lunchtime...............its certainly the nearest I feel I have been so far , thanks.

All the conventional fuses are ok, those labelled F3/F4/F5 which are high amp and related to the glow plugs dont seem like conventional fuses and maybe covered with a plastic moulding. The warning light still does not come on either.

Stumped.......................

have you tried getting into the diagnostic mode and checking that the light illuminates?

If the car thinks the engine is fine, it might flick the light on for a fraction of a second then back off, if it doesnt believe its warm enough thats when you see the light on. But, if the bulb is covered, or blown then you wont get the light at all.

I would start by testing the bulb works before continuing to worry though.

Hi, I cant find the diagnostic mode for this model of Mondeo, only those with a button to press for the mileometer etc. I have been advised to try an injector cleaner by a Ford technician and a diagnostic expert. There is a Ford bulitan relates to poor starting for this series of engine.

It was 9 degrees this morning and still no glow plug heater symbol.

Update to follow......................

To access the diagnostic, you need to turn the ignition to zero, then press and hold the OK button as the key is turned to position 2.

This should enter test mode where you can release the button.

You can then scroll through pressing OK to go through all the tests.

Hi Mike,

I've a 2.0 petrol & I've had a similar situation twice in the last 6 weeks? When starting it sounds ruff like it's not running on all cylinders? and there's a slight loss of power? I've also had it where it's flooded when starting but it's a push button start???

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks Admiral, but mines a diesel unlike yours?

So I added the diesel cleaner in quantity yesterday, sloshed it about and left car to idle for about 60mins, left overnight. Started as badly as ever, engine temp showed about 30 degrees on the scale.

Also got the diagnostic to work thanks James and the glow plug LED is there and eventually ends up "behind" or covered by the fule guage.

So no further forward, still feel its related to temperature, heater plugs or something like that. Dealer wants £80/hr to investigate and I can set a financial limit to their spend, no guarantees there then.................................

OK so the light is there and not hidden by tape - thats a good thing! however, the fact that the engine shows such low temperatures and the behaviour of it is seemingly pointing to them, the next best thing is to remove and test the glow plugs to see if they behave correctly. I was advised recently that you can use a multimeter and see what the readings are for the likes of resistance, this might help identify if they have had their day. If there is no power getting to them, then this might explain why the light doesnt show. Normally glow plugs light if not for a split second on startup, and remain on for as long as its needed to warm the cylinders.

I would say unplug one and see if when you turn the key it does anything, it should glow brightly and if it doesnt then you may need to replace the big amp fuse.