Photo

Strange Noise From Under The Car (I Think)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j_cocker

j_cocker

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: TDCiI 2.0
Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

I am pretty clueless when it comes to car, so please bear with me.

A few days ago I started to notice a faint noise coming from under my 58 reg 2.0 Diesel S-Max when the car was moving.

Best way I can think of describing the noise was as it I had some chicken wire wrapped around the wheel and the noise was made when it was grinding against the metal arch around it when moving. Not very scientific, I know... It was so convincing that I even stopped to have a look it there was anything there (there wasn't).

The sound seem to come and go, but I couldn't find any correlation between speed, road condition, etc and the sound itself.

Anyway, today the sound become more prominent, so I tried to give the car a shake, and there seem to be a sound coming from the side when doing it. Not the same sound, but none of the other 3 wheels makes any sound when shaking.

I therefore suspect something to do with the suspension for that wheel - I wouldn't be surprised considering the state of the roads here...

Am I on the right track, and if so what shall I do next?  It is a matter of straight to the garage for example?

Thanks in advance,

J.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,820 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

I'd get the spring checked on that corner, the roads are very punishing on them.

I had one break a few weeks ago.

If it is the spring then get them to check the strut top bearing at the same time, my garage didn't and it cost me another £115 for them to strip everything down to replace a broken one.

#3 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

dunno if there fitted to the smax but when i ran my lexus common problem was something like a disk gaurd,thin metal that had bent??

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users