Horrible cirumstances in which to join but as good a time as any. I spent a while reading previous posts about thefts so thought I may as well join the club.
Member lyonsb123 I'm in the process of reading through your theft thread. Some useful info there.
My 61 plate ZS petrol was stolen from the front of my house last night (27th April). I had a motion activated video camera installed on the front of the house a few weeks ago so I at least got to see the circumstances of the theft!
- At 20:45 (not even dark yet), the car was parked on the street at the end of my driveway. It had been there all day.
- 2 men crossed the road from the opposite side. One looked like he pulled a small object from his pocket.
- They huddled around the driver door and in under 10 seconds (the length of each of the video clips my camera takes) they were in.
- The next video clip shows them driving away. The time stamp is 30 seconds later. No broken glass, no wheelspin. Casual as you like.
Both keys accounted for in the house. It had the standard remote central locking, key in the ignition start so not the usual keyless theft. Unfortunately it was the passenger door in view of the camera so I didn't get to see any tampering with the door handle.
The Police said Fiestas and Transits are vanishing with no trace and that if they ever do find the car, it will most likely be just a shell in a scrapyard.
The insurance claim process so far:
- They won't give us a courtesy car as they only give courtesy cars for accidents. Although they didn't give me one when somebody wrote off my Fiesta MK4 a few years ago. They seem reluctant to give courtesy cars in any circumstances.
- They said we need to wait for a call from G4S as we need to explain the details to them in order for them to investigate the circumstances and decide on a value for the car. Why a private security firm needs to be involved when I gave my story (along with CCTV video) to the Police is beyond me.
Surely by now with all the similar thefts happening there needs to be some liability placed on the manufacturer? I keep trying to blame myself in some way because it's very difficult to accept that it just disappeared like that. It would have taken the thieves more time and effort to take my £300 phone from me than it did to drive my £10k car from the front of my house and disappear without a trace!
I'll try to keep this updated if people are interested. I wish my case was a one off.
Attached is a picture of it the day I picked it up from from Ford used. Only had it 8 months!