Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen - 2012 Fiesta Zetec S

ZSMJ

Horrible cirumstances in which to join but as good a time as any. I spent a while reading previous posts about thefts so thought I may as well join the club.

Member lyonsb123 I'm in the process of reading through your theft thread. Some useful info there.

My 61 plate ZS petrol was stolen from the front of my house last night (27th April). I had a motion activated video camera installed on the front of the house a few weeks ago so I at least got to see the circumstances of the theft!

- At 20:45 (not even dark yet), the car was parked on the street at the end of my driveway. It had been there all day.

- 2 men crossed the road from the opposite side. One looked like he pulled a small object from his pocket.

- They huddled around the driver door and in under 10 seconds (the length of each of the video clips my camera takes) they were in.

- The next video clip shows them driving away. The time stamp is 30 seconds later. No broken glass, no wheelspin. Casual as you like.

Both keys accounted for in the house. It had the standard remote central locking, key in the ignition start so not the usual keyless theft. Unfortunately it was the passenger door in view of the camera so I didn't get to see any tampering with the door handle.

The Police said Fiestas and Transits are vanishing with no trace and that if they ever do find the car, it will most likely be just a Shell in a scrapyard.

The insurance claim process so far:

- They won't give us a courtesy car as they only give courtesy cars for accidents. Although they didn't give me one when somebody wrote off my Fiesta MK4 a few years ago. They seem reluctant to give courtesy cars in any circumstances.

- They said we need to wait for a call from G4S as we need to explain the details to them in order for them to investigate the circumstances and decide on a value for the car. Why a private security firm needs to be involved when I gave my story (along with CCTV video) to the Police is beyond me.

Surely by now with all the similar thefts happening there needs to be some liability placed on the manufacturer? I keep trying to blame myself in some way because it's very difficult to accept that it just disappeared like that. It would have taken the thieves more time and effort to take my £300 phone from me than it did to drive my £10k car from the front of my house and disappear without a trace!

I'll try to keep this updated if people are interested. I wish my case was a one off.

Attached is a picture of it the day I picked it up from from Ford used. Only had it 8 months!

post-53804-0-81296500-1398694574_thumb.j

Yikes, its scary how they have this skill set, its almost like they have a universal key with every chip code known to man on there!

Fingers crossed you get it back in one piece, or get through the process pain free!

Sorry to hear about your situation mate, it’s sickening. I
know a few years back when my brother had a Fiesta ST mk6 some scumbags
stripped everything but the alloys off it and when he spoke to the Police they
said he was lucky as at the time a lot of ST’s were being stolen where the crim’s
would literally lift the car onto a flatbed truck and be gone.

Very worrying
that they can now just be driven off, hope you hear some positive news soon.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope you get the situation resolved quickly and painlessly. It's terrifying how these scum bags can get away with a car with no keys in a matter of seconds! :unsure:

my friend had 2 stolen the same way

the second after she got her new replacement only 5 days after getting it

That terrible news! I hope everything gets sorted without too much hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

An update!

It's been going on for nearly 4 weeks now and finally progress has been made. It sounds petty saying 4 weeks. It feels like an eternity but I'm sure 4 weeks is quite a result.

2 weeks ago G4S arranged a phone interview and all details were given. The guy at G4S said that he'd submit his report that day and then it was up to the insurers.

Then heard nothing for a week. Called insurer who said they hadn't received the G4S report! It was a weird couple of weeks of chasing the insurer every day. Although it's my car that was stolen I somehow started feeling guilty, thinking there were delays because my report didn't add up. The whole thing still doesn't make sense in my own head so how could they fathom it?

Anyway, something reassuring but also worrying: The guy at G4S said he holds a few phone interviews every day and at least one each day is a Ford stolen in the same circumstances. Poor Fords :(.

Today I received a call from the insurer and they have offered £9800 for the car. The equivalent car to buy is £10,000 so that's not a bad start. They advised to get some quotes and forward them on to see if I can get it increased

Fortunately I was added to my mum's car insurance so I can drive her Zetec S Diesel. It's only at the weekend I can use it but it at least allows my girlfriend and I to do the shopping and run errands a little easier and it somewhat lessens that feeling of being isolated without the car.

I'm going to get an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser installed once I get the new car and since the theft my mum has been using a Disklok on her Fez, which I quite like. Once it's on the drive, put it full turn to the left so it's pointed towards the fence, lock the wheel and put the Disklok on. I think that's about as difficult as we can make it without full aftermarket security.

I've looked for cars for the past week or so and have toyed with the idea of Petrol/Deisel, BMWs, VWs, Seats, Skodas but something draws me back to the Fiesta Zetec S. It is so spot on that I'd be willing to take the risk again, albeit with aftermarket security and a hefty Disklok. I'll probably de-badge it too and maybe buy it in a less striking colour than my beloved Moondust Silver ;).

I can only advise all owners of newer Fiestas, especially the ones with all the trimmings, to put a couple of hundred aside to beef up the security a little. The Police were courteous and arrived within 5mins of me calling but they had to close the case within a few days. They can't help so we need to help ourselves.

Had to laugh the other day: I was looking on Auto Trader at the new Fiestas and thought to myself ''if only they'd stolen it next year, I'd be able to afford an ST'' :D. Sometimes you have to look at the funny side or you'd go insane.

• Like 2

Glad it's sorted dude, Get a Clifford alarm installed, they are stolen these days by hacking the OBD port and reading the key codes, they then have a blank key / remote which they program in an instant, Joke these things aren't licensed, they will be once an MP gets his Jag nicked though, shambles.

They'll never nick a car with a clifford immobiliser, in fact you'll struggle to start the car with it sometimes.

Police won't be bothered, if they know you are insured they'll just leave it to them.

Shame you can't program mykey to limit it to 5MPH, it's what I was planning to do with the spare key whilst I am away with work etc but it's 60MPH min.

And it's probably better it wasn't recovered, having a stolen recovered on HPI won't look great when it comes to selling and worse it'd probably be damaged and abused, personally I wouldn't want a car back once it's been nicked.

Should look on eBay for engines being sold and get them to provide the engine number, probably on there.

Matt, at least there is some progress, little comfort as it is, at least your getting somewhere! I would definately get the quotes together and go back to them advising you are wanting a bit more money they will quibble but will likely give in eventually.

Sadly immobilisers arent all they are cracked up to be, but an aftermarket makes their hijack effort less effective. Also, if you park the car close to the house, I would invest in a WiFi camera, that way you can plonk it in the car and if its nicked off your driveway, hopefully you can catch the face of the scoundrels who are trying to nick it if they get in or try to do anything.

• 5 years later...

In 2010 I brought a Fiesta ZS from Ripple Road show room in Dagenham. A month to the day that that I got it, it was stolen from outside me home. 

So I a while before I brought decided to replace it. 2011, I decided to do everything differently, i didnt tell anyone i was getting a replacement. (Not even my father who works for fords). 

I went to a different show room in Newbury Park and I even got my partner to take the car out in his name instead but the car was registered at our address, (same address as the previous vehicle). 

We wanted to be take extra precautions just incase this 2nd one was stolen, so we also took out the Fords recommended Gap insurance just incase the car is stolen, your supposed get the full price value of the car at £16k covered rather than the £12k cover that your insurance will give you based on their glasses guide. Which values the car at a 2nd hand value. 

After we had completed the sale for the new replacement car, a couple of days later I had a call from the Salesman at Ripple Road, questioning me as to why I was buying another car? Why did I not come to his store? When I explained, I wanted to be closer to home. He proceeded to say "I thought your car would get stolen".

Which i was in absolute shock!

Just to add, I did not know this sales man personally or anything for him to be calling me and quizzing me about my purchase at a different show room. Further more how did he even know I was getting another car?!

A month to the day that we took the 2nd car home from Newbury Park showroom, a Fiesta ZS Metal. It was stolen from outside my home, again! Within less than 10 mins of parking it up. 

The extra kick in the teeth that Ford doesn't tell you, is that they expect you to have the car for at least 9 month for the Gap insurance to have any effect. I was left paying £6k out of my own pocket for a car I didnt have, was fully comprehensive insurance including the extra Ford Insurance as a just incase measure. But yet somehow left paying £6k thieves to drive around in. 

I haven't been back to fords since! 

Screenshot_20200104-205111_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200104-205139_Facebook.jpg

On 4/28/2014 at 3:16 PM, ZSMJ said:

Horrible cirumstances in which to join but as good a time as any. I spent a while reading previous posts about thefts so thought I may as well join the club.

Member lyonsb123 I'm in the process of reading through your theft thread. Some useful info there.

My 61 plate ZS petrol was stolen from the front of my house last night (27th April). I had a motion activated video camera installed on the front of the house a few weeks ago so I at least got to see the circumstances of the theft!

- At 20:45 (not even dark yet), the car was parked on the street at the end of my driveway. It had been there all day.

- 2 men crossed the road from the opposite side. One looked like he pulled a small object from his pocket.

- They huddled around the driver door and in under 10 seconds (the length of each of the video clips my camera takes) they were in.

- The next video clip shows them driving away. The time stamp is 30 seconds later. No broken glass, no wheelspin. Casual as you like.

Both keys accounted for in the house. It had the standard remote central locking, key in the ignition start so not the usual keyless theft. Unfortunately it was the passenger door in view of the camera so I didn't get to see any tampering with the door handle.

The Police said Fiestas and Transits are vanishing with no trace and that if they ever do find the car, it will most likely be just a shell in a scrapyard.

The insurance claim process so far:

- They won't give us a courtesy car as they only give courtesy cars for accidents. Although they didn't give me one when somebody wrote off my Fiesta MK4 a few years ago. They seem reluctant to give courtesy cars in any circumstances.

- They said we need to wait for a call from G4S as we need to explain the details to them in order for them to investigate the circumstances and decide on a value for the car. Why a private security firm needs to be involved when I gave my story (along with CCTV video) to the Police is beyond me.

Surely by now with all the similar thefts happening there needs to be some liability placed on the manufacturer? I keep trying to blame myself in some way because it's very difficult to accept that it just disappeared like that. It would have taken the thieves more time and effort to take my £300 phone from me than it did to drive my £10k car from the front of my house and disappear without a trace!

I'll try to keep this updated if people are interested. I wish my case was a one off.

Attached is a picture of it the day I picked it up from from Ford used. Only had it 8 months!

post-53804-0-81296500-1398694574_thumb.j

I know the feeling. Happened to my twice. Both cars stolen 6 months apart.