Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: mondeo TiTx Sport 173
  • Year: 2009

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Guys I need some help. I'm wanting to upgrade my side lights to some leds but how on earth do you remove the little buggers. The quick guide I've got with my car says pull rubber plug off and remove bulb?? I know there the plastic tang but what do you do with it I've had some pliers on the hand and gave it a tug but it's solid? Is there a good easy technique in removing and installing them? Ta

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 leesheffield

leesheffield

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 73 posts
Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Basically there are lolly pop type sticks attached to the bulb one for each side. If you turn them slightly and pull towards you it should come away with the bulb attached and also the wire with it. The trick is to not turn them too much or with too much force. I use a pair of long nose pliers to reach as far down as possible so as there is less stress on the plastic. I made the mistake of twisting too much and misshaped the plastic. Also at the bottom of the lolly pop is a slot which you could try slotting a large flat head screwdriver in and try turning. Either way it only takes a little turn normally to release them. Hope that makes sense and good luck

Lee

#3 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

#4 Chris_pickford94

Chris_pickford94

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2.5
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

I almost snapped one of mine doing it
I found that if you get a flat blade screwdriver, the plastic bit has a sort of half moon shape that the screwdriver fits in and you should be able to twist that a little bit easier

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#5 leesheffield

leesheffield

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 73 posts
Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

You only have your twist or slightly. If you use pliers and twist and pull towards you gently it will come out. I've got Cree ones in mine. Tight squeeze but are super bright

Lee

#6 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Did you get your bulbs off of eBay? There seem to be so many on there when you type in 501 gapless led. There's ones that look like the end of your usb plug at the bottom of the bulb. Could you point to me what sort of ones will fit if it's a tight fit.

#7 edhuduk

edhuduk

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Name: Ed
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec MK2.5
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Weirdly I just posted about this as I have led side lights. Ive actually snapped part of mine off because thru were so stiff...really ticked me off so im having to go to a scrappy to find some new ones...

I went on amazon for mine: http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B0089MS4AO

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

#8 theduke

theduke

Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Mine were a pig to get out too twist push and pull worked with long nose pliers, Then the leds flickered after a week or two got some cree ones which havent flickered yet, I greased the bayonet bit for easier removal next time

#9 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: focus titanium x/comms/sports pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

removed full head lamp, approx 2 mins. then another 1-2 mins to change bulb.. approx 6 mins either side... easy peasy

#10 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

The Cree led ones that you have fitted where can I get those from as I would like ones that are not going to be an issue. I have a Cree reverse light and that's awesome. Like having a flood light in comparison.
The headlights I can have out in no time about 30 secs each but then spend the next ten mins trying toget the buggers out. Il have aanother go on the weekend I'm sure once they've been out once I'm sure it will be easier the next time round.

#11 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Thing I forgot to ask talking of bulbs do I need canbus friendly bulbs?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users