Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

footfistart

Mk2.5 Side Light Removal

11 posts in this topic

Guys I need some help. I'm wanting to upgrade my side lights to some leds but how on earth do you remove the little buggers. The quick guide I've got with my car says pull rubber plug off and remove bulb?? I know there the plastic tang but what do you do with it I've had some pliers on the hand and gave it a tug but it's solid? Is there a good easy technique in removing and installing them? Ta

Basically there are lolly pop type sticks attached to the bulb one for each side. If you turn them slightly and pull towards you it should come away with the bulb attached and also the wire with it. The trick is to not turn them too much or with too much force. I use a pair of long nose pliers to reach as far down as possible so as there is less stress on the plastic. I made the mistake of twisting too much and misshaped the plastic. Also at the bottom of the lolly pop is a slot which you could try slotting a large flat head screwdriver in and try turning. Either way it only takes a little turn normally to release them. Hope that makes sense and good luck

Lee

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

I almost snapped one of mine doing it

I found that if you get a flat blade screwdriver, the plastic bit has a sort of half moon shape that the screwdriver fits in and you should be able to twist that a little bit easier

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah I notices the tang and I did twist it and as you say it seems very fragile. So long nose pliers as far down as possible and turn. Does it's matter which way it turns? I don't fancy breaking mine lol. The bulb are the capless 501s or capped? Have you got your ones in led? Thanks for your reply mate :)

You only have your twist or slightly. If you use pliers and twist and pull towards you gently it will come out. I've got Cree ones in mine. Tight squeeze but are super bright

Lee

Did you get your bulbs off of eBay? There seem to be so many on there when you type in 501 gapless led. There's ones that look like the end of your usb plug at the bottom of the bulb. Could you point to me what sort of ones will fit if it's a tight fit.

Weirdly I just posted about this as I have led side lights. Ive actually snapped part of mine off because thru were so stiff...really ticked me off so im having to go to a scrappy to find some new ones...

I went on amazon for mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0089MS4AO

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Mine were a pig to get out too twist push and pull worked with long nose pliers, Then the leds flickered after a week or two got some cree ones which havent flickered yet, I greased the bayonet bit for easier removal next time

removed full head lamp, approx 2 mins. then another 1-2 mins to change bulb.. approx 6 mins either side... easy peasy

The Cree led ones that you have fitted where can I get those from as I would like ones that are not going to be an issue. I have a Cree reverse light and that's awesome. Like having a flood light in comparison.

The headlights I can have out in no time about 30 secs each but then spend the next ten mins trying toget the buggers out. Il have aanother go on the weekend I'm sure once they've been out once I'm sure it will be easier the next time round.

Thing I forgot to ask talking of bulbs do I need canbus friendly bulbs?