Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio And Lights Flickering On And Off?

exponential

Hi guys.

Had this problem for a while now and it's starting to get to me.

My radio will turn off and on again together with my lights for a a second or two when setting off from stationary.

Doesn't happen every time but happens enough to be noticeable.

Also, when turning the wheel whilst driving, the radio again will turn off and on again. Doesn't happen every time either but regular.

Any thoughts on this guy's?

I think it may be some sort of pressure being put on the wiring loom at random intervals but not sure....

Mike.

thats an odd one Mike. i'd check the wiring at the back of the stereo to see if anything is loose but as its your lights too i'm not sure. might be worthwhile visitng an auto electrician?

• Like 1

thats an odd one Mike. i'd check the wiring at the back of the stereo to see if anything is loose but as its your lights too i'm not sure. might be worthwhile visitng an auto electrician?

Its really strange. It has been the same since i've had the car (10 months).

I had the car looked at by the people I bought the car off and they had an auto electrician check it out and he/she found nothing?

I did a test yesterday, made sure there was no traffic and gently turned left to right continually for a while and each time, the radio and lights flickered on and off.

I don't know if it could be related but my steering seems to go to sleep when I bring the car to a stop.

I will be waiting at lights for example, start to drive off and my steering just doesnt respond.

There is a definate jolt/resistance when I start turing the wheel then it frees up and I can steer normally although my steering is awful to be honest, really heavy steering and not very responsive. On "standard" steering set-up by the way.

Could it be a power drain or maybe a faulty battery??

Thanks Dan. Will check out the cables tomorrow mate.

could be a doggy earth wire a back of the steering wheel console.

• Like 1

could be a doggy earth wire a back of the steering wheel console.

It crossed my mind mate. Gonna check the alternator cable etc at dinner (if its accessible) and go from there.

Would a dodgy earth also cause the steering issue do you think??

Checked all visible cables and all seem ok. Checked fuses too. I did notice that the earth cable at the right hand side of the engine bay, next to the fuse box is heavily corroded.

Maybe that is the cause of my issues??

Checked all visible cables and all seem ok. Checked fuses too. I did notice that the earth cable at the right hand side of the engine bay, next to the fuse box is heavily corroded.

Maybe that is the cause of my issues??

Could well be. Its amazing what battery and connection issues can cause to a Ford. Id get that off and cleaned.

• Like 1

Could well be. Its amazing what battery and connection issues can cause to a Ford. Id get that off and cleaned.

The car is in for some work in the next couple of days so I will get my mate to go through all connections and earth points (where possible).

Will report back with the solution if it is found! :o

Nice motor by the way mate! How you got a 3 series coupe bodykit to fit on a focus chassis is nothing short of a miracle! ;)

• Like 1

anyone would be forgiven for thinking he cheated and went out and bought one, when really, its his Focus at heart, he just changed every nut and bolt!

Its rather clever really. I photoshopped a two door Focus and stretched it out a bit.

I know I have gone German but have you seen the BMW Owners Club site. It is so quiet and boring I dont know why they bother, so I prefer it on here. More fun and always interesting.

• Like 1

anyone would be forgiven for thinking he cheated and went out and bought one, when really, its his Focus at heart, he just changed every nut and bolt!

Hehehe. Like it.....:)

Its rather clever really. I photoshopped a two door Focus and stretched it out a bit.

I know I have gone German but have you seen the BMW Owners Club site. It is so quiet and boring I dont know why they bother, so I prefer it on here. More fun and always interesting.

Oh yeah, I can just make out some digital artefacts from the stretching process! :D

Thing is, you get to know so many people on here and it bolsters your trust in people for the valuable info they provide.

Maybe it's a different mindset for beemer owners?? I dunno?

Anyway, lovely motor mate, really impressed.

• Like 1

Nah, its cos most BMW owners are afraid to get there hands dirty on the modern ones :p plus, they know that they could never fix it themselves. What happens is, when you take your car into a BMW garage, they just give you a new one with your number plate on it, because its cheaper and easier :p

• Like 1

Nah, its cos most BMW owners are afraid to get there hands dirty on the modern ones :P plus, they know that they could never fix it themselves. What happens is, when you take your car into a BMW garage, they just give you a new one with your number plate on it, because its cheaper and easier :P

I still get my hands dirty. I just serviced the wifes 53 plate Clio. I may not want to service the Beemer but I wouldn't take it to BMW. I would have to re-mortgage. Anyway I have a good Indy down the road thankfully.

to be fair Bruce, your one of the few exceptions that prove the rule! I have a lot of people at work who have beemers - none of them have done any of their own work....

• 8 years later...

Hey did you find the problem to your car sorry the same thing is happening to Mee and i can't seem to find what's causing it

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club