Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Dies Then Seizes

Highlander2536

HI,

I have a Mondeo 54 plate 2L TDCI duratec 6 speed estate. About 2 weeks ago, while driving, the car shuddered then stalled on a trip. When I tried to restart, the battery seemed as though it was dead.

First instincts was one of the earth straps had come away. I replaced them but still no joy. There was a major drain on the battery as soon as the ignition was turned as if the starter was jammed. Once I got the car transported home, the chain cover was removed but no visible sign of any damage and the chain is sitting correctly.

I removed the starter and it spins normally. However, as soon as you put the car in gear, it will not move and the starter will not spin while its connected.

Ive been told by one mechanic that its the dual mass flywheel has come apart and is jamming everything but aniother garage says its the engine.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

DMF is quite likely, it can disintegrate and get into the starter, as normally you have to replace two for one when it goes, but putting it in gear and having the trouble would suggest its an issue.

I have a receipt for my MK4 mondy, it was replaced with clutch at around 65000 miles, and cost the best part of £1000.... But I am sure if you look around you could get it done with the clutch for a lot cheaper than that!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club