Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 02 Reg, Lighter Fuse Question

Trix14

Hey all. New to the forums and new to Fords! My last car was a Vauxhall Corsa 07.

Anyway. I drive a 02 reg Focus that has two lighter sockets. One is on the dash, and the other is at the back of the centre piece (The bit the handbrake etc is on) facing the back middle seat. The one on the dash doesn't work (Didn't check the other one at this point)

I've decided i'm going to try and be manly and fix problems with this second hand car myself, but i'm not doing a great job so far!

I pulled down the glove box, and saw that on the back of my glove box it had a diagram for the fuse box. It told me number 36 (If i remember right) was the fuse for my lighter socket, and it was a 15amp.

I checked it out, and in that socket was a 7.5amp fuse. I headed to Halfords, asked them, got given the right fuse and headed to the car, determined!

I pulled the fuse out of it's place, in the slot that the diagram said it was in. I went to replace the fuse, and realised i had bought the wrong size (Doh!).

Then i had the bright idea to actually test the other lighter socket, and it worked! Now i was super confused. Not only do i now have one lighter socket working and one not working, but it was working when the fuse was out!

This leads me to believe that either A) The diagram is wrong or B) I should give up and ask a garage lol

There is a slot on the diagram, next to the lighter fuse one, that is empty. Nothing is supposed to be in there. But on my fuse box it has a light blue fuse with no amp written on it. Not sure why.

Anyway. Sorry for the long wall of text. Can someone point me in the right direction at what i am doing wrong? Or is it a simple case of the one on the dash being broken. The whole fuse diagram being wrong has thrown me to be honest.

Thanks.

The rear socket is called power point :)

attachicon.gifF47-1.jpg

Lighter fuse is F47 15A (some models 20A)

Cannot see any mention of front/rear lighter sockets so that may be why some models have 20A fuse ?

Mine has front / rear sockets but my back one doesnt work:wacko:

F36 should be 7.5A and is for trip computer / instrument cluster.

Anyway to check this? Will it all be on the diagram?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

it could be that the power point underneath the cig lighter 21v is actually disconnected or damaged. Take both the points out of the car, disconnect and switch them over, see if the fault follows or stays, that should tell you one thing! if it stays, then your looking at a possible wiring issue, or just the wrong fuse, if it follows, then you need just a new 12v socket and install :)

Sneakkk, the wiring diagram is for a 2002 Focus, if this is what you have the wiring diagram is accurate.

Yeah my focus is a 2002 1.6 zetec mate so this does help :D

it could be that the power point underneath the cig lighter 21v is actually disconnected or damaged. Take both the points out of the car, disconnect and switch them over, see if the fault follows or stays, that should tell you one thing! if it stays, then your looking at a possible wiring issue, or just the wrong fuse, if it follows, then you need just a new 12v socket and install :)

Ok thanks for your help gonna wip them out at work tonight on nights so I have time :D they easy to replace?

Fairly simple but a tad tricky!

Never buy fuses from Halfords.the price is pathetic,euro parts do 2 for 80p which is still to much in my opinion but better than the 3 quid or w/e it is from halfrauds

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Never buy fuses from halfords.the price is pathetic,euro parts do 2 for 80p which is still to much in my opinion but better than the 3 quid or w/e it is from halfrauds

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Non of them places :D get like 50 for £1 from pound land ;)

• Like 2

Fairly simple but a tad tricky!

Ok pal thanks very much ill have a look when i awake later today, see how they wired and if its a pain to change.

• 3 years later...

So I replaced F47 like previously stated and now my door sensor for an open door is on. I replaced it with a 20A like what was in there and the lighter works now but that light is on. Any suggestions? 

Thank you! 

I would be checking the door sensor switch as it faulty or the wire to the switch is touch the cars body work. Try disconnecting the door switch 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club