Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ic Cluster Screen Not Lighting Up

nazsky786

I had done the cluster swap and car starts etc.

All the icons light up so things like the handbrake etc but the little screen in the middle does not light up.

Its meant to light up red is there any way of making it light up and stay lighted up.

I thought it would have been as I enabled auto lights in elm config but that makes no difference.

its hard to see it but everything else lights up.

When I was doing the cluster swap it was lighting up so it can't be the light just gone or something it has to be some settings that's need adjusting,

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nazsky786

• JW1982

• mrmetallica

• jeebowhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is the screen pluged in properly ? theres no setting for it it just lights up.

I've notice my central locking not working either. I'm gonna take it out. Make sure it's connected properly. Then I'm gonna have to go through the setting to try and fix everything.

Just need to know does it stay on even when you have headlights on etc?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ford OC mobile app

I suppose you have a Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster now.

The Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster should be lighted continuously after the ignition is switched on. If the screens remains dark it could be that a 12 volt positive signal is missing on the instrument cluster. In total the instrument cluster has 3 different 12 volt positive wires. If 1 of the signals is missing the instrument cluster will work but some functions may be missing. You can check the fuses to determine all 12 volt signals are present.

There should be a continuous 12 volt power on Pin 32 of the instrument cluster connector (Fuse F46).

There should be 12 volt power on Pin 4 of the instrument cluster connector if the ignition is switched on (Fuse F67).

There should be 12 volt power on Pin 15 of the instrument cluster connector if the ignition is on the accessoire position (Fuse F68).

There should be 12 volt power on Pin 9 of the instrument cluster if the light switch is switched on.

If all the 12 volt power signals are present the instrument cluster will most likely be defective. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters are known to have bad soldering connections of the circuit board. Due to vibrations the soldering connections may crack which results in a bad connection or no connection at all. My experience is that the Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters are pretty delicate. Installing/removing the instrument cluster connector a few times can even cause problems. In most cases resoldering the connector to the circuit board solves the problem.

Ahhhh. Don't say that. There is 12 volts at all the pins stated.

I really wanted it to work. It looks nice way better then the dull black old one.

I'm gonna see if it's the connection. But you may be right , as I did take it out quite a few times.

I will have to check. And get back to you with any updates.

You can see how dark it is.

post-40987-139879408165_thumb.jpg

do you hav dimming.try turning it up

No. My light switch don't. Is that the problem do you think? I just have standard level and headlight on etc. No dimming.

No. My light switch don't. Is that the problem do you think? I just have standard level and headlight on etc. No dimming.

maybe not sure

If there is no dimmer the instrument cluster illumination should be burning on full strength (both with and without the lights switched on).

If a dimmer is present the illumination of the instrument cluster will be burning full strenght if the lightswitch is on the OFF position. If the lights are switched on the illumination of the instrument cluster will dim according to the position of the dimmer.

Ok. So I have connected it to the computer and found that when it says diagnostics the cluster lights up red. So it cannot be any connections as it does light up.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking it maybe a elm config change I have done.

Look at this.

I enable focus rs does that mean anything?

post-40987-139880137008_thumb.jpg

best thing to do is reload all of the original elm settings from before you started tinkering, and then work one at a time to pin the trouble down!

I did this recently when I tried to enable a load of stuff on my mondy and I just kept getting an "alarm system service required" error popping up!

Well I've been quoted prices to have it fixed as they say it's a common issue.

I have 3 options, really only 2 as £150 is way off.

£79-£99 from Cluster Repair UK. 2years warranty

£80 from Revtonic. 1 year warranty

£150 from Cartronic. 2 year warranty.

You may have guessed I'm using Cluster Repair UK.

I have had some of the engineers tell me that it could be software or illumination pins. Does anyone have wiring diagram to know if the cabling in a focus mk2 to a mk2.5?

I'm gonna play with FoCom testing to see if it fixes it. Elmconfig seem to do nothing.

The instrument cluster wiring of the MK2 and MK2.5 is exactly the same. There are no differences.

You could try to update the instrument cluster firmware to ROM 511 (big display) or ROM 511 (small display) first. If it is a software issue (which I doubt) this may solve the problem.

Until now I repaired about 15 times a MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters by resoldering the connector to the circuit board. The symptoms on these clusters varied from the illumination not working (same as yours) to a flashing immobilizer light (car not starting).

Ok. So how do I update? Can I go back if that doesn't solve it? A step by step I would prefer. I don't wanna mess anything up further.

How much would you charge to fix it? I can post?

I done the cluster test. The gauges sweep, led all turn on. The only issue is back light not turning on. So I'm gonna have to agree that the dash is faulty and needs to be repaired for £80.

The firmware of the instrument cluster can be upgraded with ELMconfig (this function is only available for the MK2.5 instrument cluster). This function can be found on the second procedures page of the HEC module. You just have to follow the instructions of the ELMconfig program. After upgrading you can Always go back to an older firmware version. All available firmware versions are included in the ELMconfig program.

At the moment I do not repair instrument clusters anymore. Because of my busy job I do not have enough spare time for it.

Ok I think I screwed something up it says error on elmconfig and the indicators are flashing on the cluster.

I selected ROM 508 AJ

Guess what. Rom 509 ya full quickie Rom fixed it . Thanks for everyone that tried to help.

post-40987-139888737513_thumb.jpg

hazaaa, just saved yourself £80 :D

Yh I know. Eco mode has come up as well. 2 leaf so I must be driving like a mad man.

Gonna still mess with the features.

hazaaa, just saved yourself £80 :D

we can share it lol