surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: ROMAN
  • Ford Model: ford focus Style 1.6 Diesel TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

i have recently purchased a 09 plate Focus Style 1.6 TDCI .

I have noticed that on occasions

1. whilst 'cruising' at low speed (30mph) in 3rd/4th gear, the engine intermittently experiences a hesitation in power and then its fine again.

2. the engine experiences a loss in power when changing up in gears - normally occurs after driving for a while (about 30 mins) but can be intermittent.  When I set off for work in the morning, there is normally a punch in the acceleration as I change up in gears and revs. At other times I dont know if I am imagining this or not ??1?  :wacko:

I have also had one experience where I couldn't get any more power whilst going up a mild to moderate hill (10-20% gradient ?) no matter how much I pressed on the pedal. Even changing down and then changing back up didnt seem to make any difference. 

There are no messages or faults indicated on the dash and the engine idles nice and smooth. 

This is my first diesel and so I need some guidance/

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like it could be fuel filter related, alternatively, it could be a clogged EGR or damaged turbo.

Do you get excessive smoke at all? or do you have a whistle under the bonnet often?

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

#3 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: focus titanium x/comms/sports pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

dpf?

#4 surfing69

surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks but no idea what 'dpf' is.  

Dont know what EGR is either?

As for damaged Turbo or blocked fuel filter I honestly would not know - as I said, I am new to diesels.

As far as i can see or hear there is no smoke or whistling. No unusual (to me anyway) sounds whatsoever?

I also mentioned that there have been no icons lit up on the dash. This would suggest that the management system cannot or has not picked up a fault.

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yeah I am thinking maybe just check the service history, find out when the fuel filter was last replaced and if it hasnt been done of late, then just get that done. Worst case scenario, you waste around £50 if you get it fitted, or about £25 if you do it yourself, but to be honest it can only improve the car anyway.

As for the EGR, you dont always get an error light, if its coked up then the sensors still work, but its like running and hurdling - the difference in how it performs!

#6 surfing69

surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

thanks for the further comments

Today , on my way back from work and about 30 mins into my drive, I noticed a loss in power during acceleration. Everything was sort of fine up until this point.  As I was queuing to get onto an island, I decided to rev the engine to between 2000 to 3000 revs and keep it there for about 5 secs at a time. I did this a few times.

I also switched the engine off and then back on and found that the power had miraculously returned. However a couple of mins further down the road, the engine icon lit up and stayed lit up!!  This is the first time I have seen this and can I have to ask if this is associated with me revving the engine (??).  However despite this warning light being displayed, the power was still there - well up until the next 30 mins??

As I dont have a diagnostics device, I guess its a trip down to the garage. I do have a 6 months sales warranty worth £500 per claim which may or not help.

#7 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

if ur local to stoke, i may b able help... code reader etc   anyways lol

#8 surfing69

surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

not really - but thanks for the offer  :)

#9 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

the ecu has logged a fault with a sensor some where.. try the dash code trick and see if you get any fault codes logged in there

#10 surfing69

surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

dont know what the 'dash code trick' is - pls explain

or if u can tell me which scanner to get,  i think Ebay do them for about £15 e.g.  http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27ddc9553b

#11 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

if you have a andriod phone, down load the torque pro app, cost around 3 quid..... then u will need a elm 327 bluetooth adaptor found on ebay/amazon  

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item48588191d1

all done... around a tenner n loads better than the cheap hand held

#12 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

read http://www.fordowner...et-trick/page-4

#13 surfing69

surfing69

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

i've read http://www.fordowner...t-trick/page-4b

However my Focus doesnt have a trip reset button like i've seen in this Youtube vid

Everything is done from the indicator stalk/lever where you have to press menu and scroll to Trip reset setting and then depress the end of the stalk  until the 'odometer ' is reset.  Can the 'dash code trick' be activated this way?

#14 Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: Simon
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec estate 109hp tdci

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the 'TRICK' Martyntdci, unfortunately my motor still shows no fault codes.

Hello surfing69, take a look at my extensive post and what has been changed without improvement, if my explanation fits your fault then you will at least know what not to change and save plenty of cash.

#15 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Click on my signature for guidance on buying a code reader.

With regards the error, and the MIL lighting up, I dont believe its related to revving, its probably the sensor somewhere has decided its not seeing things correctly.

1) Fuel filter - as I mentioned before, this could be choking the fuel to the engine, the high pressure means the fuel isnt getting to the engine quick enough, so a reduced fuel and more air means that the car hesitates and will run rough / unresponsive, until the pressure equalises and returns to a reasonable flow. This may be why after you have turned the engine off, the pressure has dropped, and restarting it has offered full normal driving.

2) DPF - Diesel Particular Filter - This could be old and choked. Check the service history and make sure that the EOLYS fluid has been topped up every 3 years, or if the DPF has been replaced every 6. If this is the issue, then you will likely need a forced regen at a garage, or a lot of steady motorway miles to help heat it up to catalyse the reaction. Alternatively though, If it is this, I expect you will need to replace the DPF and top up the fluid. The other option of course is its removal, but this is now an illegal activity.

3) Engine sensor - this is why you need a code reader. If you have one you can check what the car is shouting is wrong, if its throwing the EML light up, it should refer to an error code that helps to clear the issue up.

Hope some of this helps!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus, diesel, intermittent, loss, power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users