Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

MartynS

Black Thing Beside Rear View Mirror?

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the black box thing is next to the rear view mirror? I'm pretty sure it's not a rain or light sensor as firstly I don't have the auto wipers/lights and secondly it's located in the black band so can't be seen externally. I've been intrigued by this since getting the car and cant work out what it could be. Cheers!

Can you post a photo?

According to my Dealer its to do with the Ford emergency assist. Its a Satellite Transmitter/Receiver thing. I thought it was to do with my DAB radio.

Emergency assistance just uses Bluetooth to your phone doesn't it? Can't see how it would make use of a separate receiver?!

Correct, it just dials 999 when the airbags are deployed. otherwise it'd be a pretty high tech beacon to call out for help.

I know it sounds far fetched i thought it did. Something to do with being able to find the car....?.

Pretty sure it is the GPS receiver and part of the emergency call assist system. It automatically send the vehicles location based on the GPS coordinates in the event of an emergency call being placed to 112 (automatically in the case of a crash), so even if you are unconscious, the emergency services can locate the vehicle. The Sync Emergency Assistance chapter in the Fiesta owner’s guide gives more info.

Hope this helps.

Well apparently yes it does the above, I honestly didn't think the emergency services could pick up your GPS co-ordinates via phone hence why they have to ask where you are?!

Ah that makes sense, I did actually wonder how it knew your location. I thought maybe they could get an approximate one from your phone based on which towers you're connected to, but GPS certainly makes more sense.

Have to agree with ffoci, emergency assist if you have Ford Sync, it locates and sends the GPS co-ordinates.

Thought I may as well post a photo for anyone that doesn't have it and wants to see what we're talking about. This is looking up at the back of the mirror from the passenger side where the receiver thing is:

post-18302-0-06960300-1399058519_thumb.j

Yep, GPS antenna.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Nice one guys, mystery solved!