Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Replace Stop Light On Mk4 Hatchback?

MikePurser

The stop light on the drivers side needs replacing. The manual I have says its not owner-serviceable, but I am reluctant to take it in to a dealer just to replace a bulb.

When I remove the fabric cover I see a metal plate and two light bulb holders. (couple of photos attached) However, I can't work out how to get at the bulb holders to replace the stop light. Can anyone help ?

post-53952-0-54227500-1399047485_thumb.j

post-53952-0-97616600-1399047618_thumb.j

What year is your car? As from 2011 onwards the rear lights were changed and the stop lights are LED and therefore they are not owner serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Its 2009 - so should be do-able I hope

Are the stop lights LED as if they are you definitely need to book it to get sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Looking at the pics I would say that the 2 bolts need to be taken off which may loosen the light cluster and take the connector block off and it can be pulled away, if it takes standard bulbs then that should be a quick replacement, if its led style then its a ford jobby

Undo the bolts you can see being careful not to drop any down the carpet area when they come off, the light cluster will pull out and all you need to do is unclip the plastic bulb holder and replace the faulty bulb.

Reverse of this for refitting but becareful not to over tighten the bolts as you can snap the bulb holder!

If you do have led then yes it is a ford job :(

2009 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Zetec + Zetec sports Pack

Thanks guys! Bulb changed and aok.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Fantastic!!

Just Followed what was posted above and bulb changed in a Mondeo Zetec 2008, took about 15 minutes.
A little tip to add, make sure when you are sliding the lens back into place that it has located itself properly into the plastic guide on the body.

Thanks guys.. Big Help! 

• 3 years later...

Just had same problem. Good news is that the nuts do not need to be taken off as the bulb holder just clips off through the hole shown on the above pic

• Like 1