Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec S Dilemma - 1.6 Tdci Or 1.0 Ecoboost!?

RST_78

Ok so I need to pick what Mk3 Focus to buy, either a 1.6 TDCI or 1.0 Ecoboost. Both are 2012 models in white. TDCI - 10,000 miles @ £12.5k. Ecoboost - 23,000 miles @ £13k The TDCI will cost £20 less in payments per month but Ecoboost sounds a little more exciting? I'm travelling around 10,000 miles per year, what's the real MPG's people are seeing with these models and what would you go for?

CheeRS

Hello

My last car was a 2008 focus titanium 1.6 tdci fantastic car and a really nice drive, it returned around 42 mpg which was driving around town and motorway miles averaging 10,000 miles a year.

This year I bought a fiesta zetec s 1.0 125 and in my opinion this is the better engine of the two, I'm currently getting 43.5 mpg ( with petrol obviously been cheaper to buy) the car is more powerful than the diesel and also has free tax. The engine is very smooth and quiet when driving.

In my opinion I would without doubt have the 1.0 petrol but that's not for everyone, I would test drive both cars and see what feels best for you.

Andy

Hey cheers, I'm thinking the same about the petrol engine. Ive put a deposit down on the 1.0 and should get a test drive early next week but the lesser miles and cheaper diesel is appealing... Is it free tax on the focus 1.0? I'm sure Parkers website quoted £30? Also, is the tailpipe visible on the TDCI ?

Sorry yeah Parkers is right it is 30 on a focus (my dad has one) I can see what you mean about the the lower miles but 23,000 miles is not too many especially on a twelve plate, and I think it's the 1.6 turbo petrol focus that has the exposed exhaust tip.

I was very surprised at the 1.0 having had the tdci I sort of scorned it but having driven it I put my deposit down as soon as the test drive was over.

But then again the diesel is also a good engine very strong and smooth but in my opinion more suited to motorways.

Andy

I believe the focus has a six speed gearbox as well as opposed to my fiestas five speed so your mpg may be a little better than mine on longer drives

Ye my last car was an Insignia 160bhp diesel vxline but kinda like the smoothness of the petrol engines now. But I do 30miles of motorway per day! So what's the deal with the visible tailpipes on MK3 Focus S then?

Am not sure why it seems to be just that engine that gets the exposed tip. I may be wrong about it but am sure when I was looking to change mine that the only ones that had it were the 1.6 petrol which was a shame as I liked the look of the car but didn't want the engine that was in it.

You may find the 1.0 a little underpowered if compared to the insignia it been 35 hp less and the torque figures will be less but it depends on your driving style.

Ye I know it's gonna feel a bit slow but I'm just downsizing the car as we are buying two to replace the Insignia. You'd have thought with the Zetec Sport that the exhaust would show on all engine sizes eh!

It does look a lot better having the exhaust tip exposed it seems a shame they don't offer it on all models, you'll have to report back when you've had your test drive to let us know how you got on.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've bought the 1.0 Ecoboost, test drove it yesterday and went ok. It has the upgraded alloys, city pack, rear electic windows and privacy glass - looks good in white! ☺️ Didn't get the chance to drive the diesel version but weighing up running costs, there was not much between them and I prefer the smoother petrol engine. I'm thinking a dual exit exhaust will set it off so will look into fabricating one. I noticed when starting the car, the fob was in a compartment and I simply pushed the power button, would this mean the car has keyless entry aswell or is that a separate extra?

CheeRS

• Like 1

Nice one mate your happy with the little engine then lol, it will look smart with a twin pipe exhaust out of the back plus yours will be the only one like it you'll have to upload some pics once it's done, am not sure with the keyless entry if it has it then there will be a small piece of plastic on the door handles which you can press to lock the car instead of using the key and to unlock you simply walk up to the car and pull the doors ( giving that the key is in range which is about a foot) when do you pick her up

Ye the rear valance on the Focus S looks like it's been designed for dual exhausts! Pick the car up tomorrow so will have a wee play with the buttons then ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club