Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Occasionally My Focus Tddi Refuses To Start, Not Even A Click

CamMan

Hi to you all. This pertains to a 2002 Focus 1.7 LX TD DI diesel estate.

Every so often the car will not start, all lights show on dash but when you turn the ignition there is not even a click, absolutely zilch. Dash lights don’t dim, radio works, electric windows go up and down. I then charge the battery and every thing is good to go.

Now this is what has me banging my head against the wall… I replaced the battery then drove 30 miles, parked the car up and when I came back it wouldn’t start, again not a click, nothing apart from all the lights showing on the dash so had to bump start it. Came back home turned ignition off then tried it again immediately and it started. I left it for an hour and it still started.

Prior to changing the battery the car would start every day for a couple of weeks before doing nothing, hence recharging the battery and then finally changing it, but after today I suspect it is not the battery.

I’m sure this is a common problem and most probably there are lots of possibilities as to rectifying the fault but I’d like to know please what you think is the most likely ones bear in mind that I am not a mechanic or auto electrician?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Sounds like the battery is done for. Had this a few ocassions myself.

You will need to replace the battery with a silver calcium (something like a Bosch S4 or S5) as Silver Calcium is the only one that works properly with the Ford Smart Charge system.

If you havent already noticed, you might here a random click / tick noise from the passenger footwell. and If you do the dash trick you will likely find error codes related to the battery voltage, but as you have already said a recharge resolves the issue, then this is likely to be part of the problem.

However, if the battery is relatively new, then you may need to consider that the alternator is at fault. Pop to your local Kwik Fits, or other garages who may offer a free battery and alternator test. Whatever you do, dont go to just one if you can avoid it, and dont let them talk you into buying a battery from them. If they say the alternators fine and the battery is dead, then pop to euro car parts, or order a battery from online. Its a lot cheaper and you get better warranty.