Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

exhaustpotato

Focus Mk 1 Injector Questions

8 posts in this topic

hello new guy here.

i have been told by the garage that i have a dead injector on number 4 but i am in two minds about keeping the car or spending any money on it so i have a sting of questions so as to help me make up my mind.

1. is it better to try and replace one or should i replace all 4 and the fuel rail?

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MONDEO-ZETEC-1-8-1-6-16V-1998-to-2004-FUEL-RAIL-INJECTORS-/181357538625)

2. will replacing the injector and going back up to 4 cylinders sort out the horrible fuel economy?

3. is it particularly hard to do? i know which end of a spanner is which but am not a mechanic

4. does anyone know where the part number is on mine so i can check or if there is a way to check the one i found on ebay is definitely the correct one as it seems cheaper than others.

thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I have never removed injectors from a focus but I have on other cars.

It really just a case of unbolting the fuel rail, remove the fuel lines and pull them straight up and out.

There are seals on them that should be replaced but, if they look ok and are in good condition then just lubricate them before refitting. A little bit of clean engine oil would do.

If you can get a set of 4 still on the fuel rail, this is your easiest way to go.

to be honest it will be a pain in the !Removed!, primarily because you need to recode the injectors.

If your already having thoughts about passing the car on, then you might find its cheaper to do this.

thanks didn't know about the re mapping thing

James I'm not sure the mk1 petrol injectors will need any coding?..

I would have thought that any car with an injector needs coding? but then again its certainly not my forte so I could be entirely wrong!

I would have thought that any car with an injector needs coding? but then again its certainly not my forte so I could be entirely wrong!

Modern diesels certainly do, not sure if they making petrol ones that need coding?

Older petrol engines should certainly be ok

Hopefully as it makes for OPs easier switching if that is the case!