Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Esp System Fault!

jonnyc170

Hi, I have a focus st mk2 2006 and every time I put my foot down it jumps ( like when you stall and it shots you forward ) and the ESP system fault comes up on the dash. I have tried simple things like cleaning the MAF sensor and sensors around the wheel and its still doing it! Any ideas what it is? I have been looking on the internet but there that many things and people say its a common problem.. Anyone had/having this problem. Thanks

Sounds like it could be a bad ABS adapter or wiring loom. Do you see the ABS light come up at all? and does it come on intermittently then go off of its own accord?

No haven't seen the ABS light and the light stays on until I turn my car off and then it clears

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

hmmm, in that case it doesnt seem to be the ABS sensors, in which case I suspect its an issue communicating to the ABS system for the ESP. The ESP should basically deliver more braking to one side of the car than the other to keep it tight, so I think you will need error codes, but I suspect you will need a dealer to look at it.

Ok thanks :-)

Wonder if it's a boost leak turbo gauge not moving as much as it did and there a whistling sound which I just thought it was my K&N filter

My mate had this problem he had his turbo serviced and it fixed the issue

Great! I hope it is just as simple as that lol

It might be simpler still such as a split turbo hose or pipe. I had a crack on my CMAX turbo pipe and replacing this resolved my issue.

Great! I hope it is just as simple as that lol

Ok il get under my car this weekend to see if I can see anything. Got my MOT next week too joys! Last one cost me £600+

fingers crossed this one only xosts 10% of that!

Thanks for the help il let you know in a week or 2 what the problem was

Changed my air filter back to the genuine filter and it's running ok now advice for everyone don't get a K&N air filter! lol

seriously? thats it? the K&N was throwing ESP errors? how the bleedin hell did that happen :S or where they two seperate issues I cant remember lol, but as for the noise, the K&N doesnt surprise me!

A couple of friends thinking it's letting to much or little air to the maf sensor

more likely too much as the K&N's are a rather good quality.

• 4 years later...

Got an st3 2006 wheel bearing failed then esp light came on. 

Replaced abs sensor and bearing still light on but no eeeor codes reported any ideas

Unplug the sensor from the hub, start the engine, turn off. Plug sensor back in and plug in an obd diag (bluetooth ones should be fine) then ignition on. Get an app such as Torque (on android) and have it read the codes, then even if non listed, go to the option to clear them. Turn off again, unplug the obd and you should be good to go. Take a small trip around the block to make sure, but if the light comes on after that it's likely to be a fault with the sensor and the hub in some way.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi reading through this I have a similar problem now but a strange one, ESP system error code is along with the ABS and now the EML.. but at the same time I'm struggling to get into 5th and 6th, also lol soon as I let off the accelerator its constantly popping and grumbling like it's over fuelling? ( mk2 ST with a stage 2 map ect ) 

• 3 months later...

Brommers90 , did you find a fix for your fault? I have described issues as well, but also along with the milage disappearing on the dash

• 8 months later...

The ESP seem to be a problem I changed my  brake pads front and rear and the front wheel bearings but the light for ABS and ESP fault is still there... Any help guys. 

2 hours ago, Sifiso said:

the light for ABS and ESP fault is still there

The ESP system has two additional sensors as well as the ABS wheel sensors. One is a steering wheel angle sensor, mounted next to, or part of, the steering column "clock spring" unit. The other is a yaw sensor ( a sort of solid state giroscope), usually bolted to the floor near the driver's seat. The ABS unit performs all the logic & control operations needed for ESP. Really you need a system like Forscan to reveal the DTCs (error codes) that will be present with those lights on, to even start to narrow it down to one sensor.

Wheel sensor failures are down to wiring problems about as often as they are down to sensor problems, so changing wheel bearings is no guarantee, and the ABS sensors themselves may not have been changed.

• Like 1

Hi Sifiso, you need to use Forscan to read the DTC's. Only when you have the fault codes will anyone be able to help.

Download Forscan from here:-  https://forscan.org/download.html

Connection lead:- ELM327 - https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club