Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Early Oil And Filter Change

Phil 87

I was thinking about having an oil and filter change at about 1,000 miles if that sounds sensible? That will probably be in a week or 2, so I have a couple of questions. First of all I'm not very mechanically minded so sorry if these are silly questions.

When I take it to Ford is it worth asking them what oil they'll be using, and maybe pay extra for a premium oil? Or are all brands of synthetic oil basically the same?

Also is it worth paying for an engine flush at this point? After a little research I think there might be no point, I'm guessing any metallic bits from the bedding in of the engine will just drain out with the old oil, or will an engine flush actually help with this?

I just want to make sure I'm properly caring for this brilliant engine B)

Wouldn't bother with a flush yet dude, I'd use some Shell Helix oil, always been good for me, has a very good detergency ( not a word but hey ) rating. when buying a filter make sure it has the sump plug washer.

Stealer will use whatever is going at the time at the best price. DIY for £40 odd.

I've never done anything like this myself, wish I'd learned to do it on an older car. I'm going to have to take it to Ford, I'll have to just ask them if they could use Shell Helix or something else, but you're probably right they'll just use whatever oil they use for all the other cars.

Ask them if you can supply the oil yourself and just pay for labour, Opie Oils sell the right Shell Grade for about £38 for 4 litres, Filter from Ford will only be about £6.

Is it recommended to change oil so early? I was only going to do it at the first service?

Certainly won't hurt to do it, healthy turbo = Longevity of the Boost innit. don't want to be buying one of them once the warranty has run out, ( which by the way will be a mare to change, had a look at getting a hybrid but I reckon you'll need the entire front end off, drive shafts out, mounts off and tilt engine to get it off and back on to avoid any drama )

LOL at the MG advert on this page, fund the Chinese war machine and the people that scammed rover out of millions why don't we.

I've been told that If you don't use the oil they specify it will void the warranty on your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

No, they recommend Castrol ( as BP pay them, same reason you have the BP sticker on the inside of your fuel flap, good advertising is all ) and the oil needs to be a certain grade of 5W30 Fully Synthetic. thats all.

look at comma xtech itsfully synthetic 5w 30it meets the what required by all of the ford units, it can be foundon amozon for about 18 pound or from motor parts direct at 11pound but you will have to spend 40 pound see site.the dealer will use your oil when it meets the requiment lade down by fords and it will

I had a look at Shell Helix oils but there are quite a few different ones, even when I'm only looking at 5W-30 fully synthetic. Is this the one I want: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68973-shell-helix-ultra-extra-5w-30-premium-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx ?

That's the stuff I've used in my last 4 cars. But.............. This has come down in price a lot this year.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-977-fuchs-titan-gt1-pro-c-1-5w-30-synthetic-engine-oil-for-the-latest-ford-mazda-vehicles.aspx

This Fuchs stuff is the preferred oil for Track Day goers, never used it doe the cost it was always around £70 to fill my Clio up but a lot of people recommend it.

I think I'll go for Shell Helix. Do you know what's the difference between Ultra Extra and Ultra AVL? Both are on amazon at just under £40.

If I recall correctly the AV part is for Audi Volkswagen engines ( not that it really makes a difference ) but I'm sure the technical sheets will be different but you'd need a Chemist to tell you what the real difference is.

Or maybe Castrol Magnatec, it's only £22 for 4L and is the one that's recommended by Ford. Or Castrol Edge / GTX? Too many to choose from lol.

Never been a fan of Castrol, and it varies in price too much, not sure why it can be £20 one place and £50 a bottle in the next, it seems to cheap as well which to me, just implies something isn't quite right or it's just old stock, which isn't what I would want.

But thats just my personal thoughts to be honest, I do that with a lot of things, Like buying meat for instance, when it's been halved in price at some point that batch generally isn't that great or as I have found with Oils in the past when buying cheap, it comes from some Eastern European nation ( can tell as no Engrish printed ) and in fact wasn't as advertised and the seller in the UK actually had no clue what it was, just tried matching the pictures and advertising 5W30 and hoping for the best.

I've seen French Shell oil before stating "Gazole" and it was advertised on Fleabay for Petrol engines ( clearly thought it meant Gasoline but in fact it's Diesel ).... says it all.

New car engine are bedded in from factort anways as all cars go thru a quality control (not a rebuilt engine, that requires running in correctly) but id advise changing the oil every 4-5k miles.

Make sure you use the correct oil. Phone up your dealer an ask them what grade etc. An if you wish you use a diffrent brand (Shell etc.) Ask them if its ok as the wrong type of oil will void your warranty.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

id advise changing the oil every 4-5k miles.

Do you mean just while the car is still quite new, or for as long as I have the car? I think the Haynes manual recommends an oil change / service every 6 months, so with the miles I do that's pretty close to an oil change every 4-5k.

An if you wish you use a diffrent brand (Shell etc.) Ask them if its ok as the wrong type of oil will void your warranty.

Good luck to any dealer being able to find out what oil is in the car in the first place, I doubt even the factory can, would probably have to send a sample to the likes of BP to examine.

Yeah I'll ask them if I can bring the oil myself, then I know exactly what's going in it, and I'll ask about the warranty. I take it 4L is enough to fill it up? And will there be any left over?

Probably, you'll never get all the oil out unless you strip it and flush it, there will be minimal left over so wouldn't worry about that. I normally put the old oil back in the can so I can chuck it away (irresponsibly )

• Like 1

I've been told that If you don't use the oil they specify it will void the warranty on your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Wrong as long as you keep all recipts you can use any oil or filter etc in the car

The new ford eco boost engines use a specific type of oil - taking it into a ford dealer, you will get Castrol edge proffesional (thats the only oil I would recommend for that engine)

An oil change is not necessary at that mileage but its obviously up to you if you want to do one

An engine flush would be pointless as tgis stage also

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Wrong as long as you keep all recipts you can use any oil or filter etc in the car

Infact your wrong. Ford will void your warranty if you use in correct specification of oil. E.g if you put in 10w 40 and it requires 5w 20 (which some ecoboosts do) then any warranty claim on powertrain (engine) will be void

An if you wish you use a diffrent brand (shell etc.) Ask them if its ok as the wrong type of oil will void your warranty.

Good luck to any dealer being able to find out what Oil is in the car in the first place, I doubt even the factory can, would probably have to send a sample to the likes of BP to examine.

Weve had a few claims be refused due to incorrect oil. Had the oil sent away for analysis and it came bk as the wrong grade was used

You can change the oil as often as you like... You could change it EVERY thousand miles... But that would cost a LOT!! Changing it every 5k will certainly ensure you have good condition oil in it, which if that is every 6 months, then that's not too excessive. (Can't comment on the warranty aspects of what oil to be used though).

If you are changing the oil regularly, then there is certainly no need for an engine flush - Some of these can actually cause problems if not done exactly right, and (in my opinion) should only be used to solve specific issues with deposits in an engine (usually in older / higher-mileage engines that have not had such regular oil changes).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club