Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight/rain Sensors (New Windscreen)

Banana Pilot

Hi Guys and Girls,

1st time poster, first time Ford Owner.

I recently bought a 55 Plate Ford Focus C-Max with all the toys on it. It's been back for a couple of warranty repairs, but all the 'auto' toys inside were working apart from half of the quickclear windscreen. The dealer replaced the whole windscreen as they couldn't fix the issue with the windscreen. All well and good I thought. But when I picked it up, the auto headlights stayed on for the whole day, and if I switched the auto wipers on, they stayed on. To me this suggests the car thinks it is dark, and raining, yet it is clear and sunny.

I've had a look at the outside of the windscreen and cleaned it with an alcohol based cleaner. However, there is quite a lot of dust and other rubbish actually UNDER the windscreen, between the glass and the sensors. Would you mind having a look and letting me know what you think?

To me, it looks like this rubbish (the dust and black stuff) could actually be blocking the sensors. Or alternatively, is there anything else I can try?

Thank you,

Paul

post-54339-0-43987000-1399979244_thumb.j

The gel pad is misaligned. Leaving bits of dirt in there is unforgiveable.

It's fairly easy to fix, but I would take it up with them TBH.

• Like 1

Thanks, going by your name, I would have thought you're a man in the know!

If this is the standard of their fitter's work, I'd have the rest of it checked.

Look closely at the image and aside from the slither of cured adhesive and dust, you'll see a black outline in the middle of the sensor pad. Look 'behind' this and you'll see where it needs to be, and what that blacked out bit does.

Got it, I can see where it should be now. I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thank you for your help.

It might even be upside down; hard to tell from the image.

Get them to check that it is fully functional and is sensitive to a spray of water. Block out the light by placing your hand or bit of car over the sensor and the lights should come on within a few seconds. Worst case scenario, it might have registered a fault which they can clear easily.

I say worst case, sometimes if the screen tint is changed (from a clear+solar coated to a standard green) it can affect how the sensor works. IOW, they are claibrated to the type of screen fitted at source.

Good luck.

Aha, so potentially if it had Solar Glass to start with, and it's been replaced with non solar, the calibration could be out.

Is there a way of telling what type of glass was fitted as standard? (Assuming it still had the original glass when I bought it).

I remember the original glass had an 'IR' icon in the bottom corners. Could this mean it was Solar?

Ah yes, from FordEtis - With Windshield Heat Shielding

Although not always conclusive (it might be an option) quote the chassis number to an OEM Ford parts retailer. If it's an either/or scenario, the rest of the car's spec should give you an idea, eg, if the car is a Titanium X = very likely to have an irdidium coated windscreen; or if you have leather/privacy glass etc.

I've experienced this issue with a Peugeot where the original windscreen was solar reflective. It had the screen replaced via his insurance company's nominated supplier who threw in a much cheaper, and non-standard, green tinted version. It registered a fault immediately and the auto wipers lost the plot completely. The fitting company shrugged it by saying he should take it to a main dealer to have the sensor reset by which point he'd lost all faith in them (unsurprisingly). His insurer agreed to let him take it else where and I fitted a genuine OEM screen - the correct spec for the car - and it worked immediately.

This might be the case with yours (if the original screen was the IR - iridium coated - version, the glass itself would be clear. You can see that the coating does not go over the sensor area). The sensor would therefore have been calibrated for clear (transparent) glass. If they've thrown in a green tinted version, the sensor may well need recalibrating, or replacing.*

*Ideally, the correct windscreen needs to be fitted of course.

That's brilliant, thank you. At least gives me a bit of knowledge (and ammo) to continue the dialogue with them.

It's so frustrating. They've solved one problem and in doing so, created 2 more.

• Like 1

Some good info there Glassman! very handy to have that sort of knowledge around!

• Like 1

I popped into a local glass technician this morning and they confirmed all you've said, and that the glass now fitted is green tint glass, not the purple-ish iR one that was original fitment.

Great to have the prior knowledge when I went to speak with him so thank you Glassman.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club