Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mindel The Mondeo Build Thread

jeebowhite

Introducing Mindel the Mondeo! Picked her up end of March and already have a few plans for her, but as I have now got a lack of coins in the bank other than the below all else is pretty much on hold!

7bd9877e-0929-4213-81ce-c09e16ca131f_zps

51053e17-12ae-4c71-be56-f01b23ff3407_zps

IMG_20140409_100236_zpsffprh0ea.jpg

IMG_20140409_100257_zpsvhrcl5wz.jpg

So the modifications have started! first job was to install heated fan jets:

IMG_20140411_134236_zpsjwbhbipt.jpg

and also the dashcam.

IMG_20140514_082119_zpsl0hoxao5.jpg

Then was the parking sensors. Front, and rear! I decided to install only two front parking sensors (I found my nose was touching a few walls before hand!) and four rear sensors also installed. Reverse Gear activates the Rear sensors, and Brakes activate the front. Only cost me £15 :) I personally think its a good colour match! I bought them silver, sanded them down, primed them and painted them "bumper grey" which is a universal colour I bought from eBay!

fe0090b3-9329-442d-8ed5-7c4523d938f4_zps

IMG_20140513_183630_zpsqmg4fiwf.jpg

b4a0c2f0-9d28-470f-a13c-f2fdf6437905_zps

For the front sensors, I made my own brackets rather than buying them, had an old battery box, so measured out the side, and took a drill to it, and the result is not too bad!

IMG_20140513_183603_zpsddfxcmjj.jpg

IMG_20140513_183609_zpsxrnckw7g.jpg

I ran through the LED display from the boot to above the mirror.

IMG_20140514_082142_zpslty7t08j.jpg

The mirror might look a little larger as this is my aftermarket clip on which will also be my reverse camera screen. Mounted to it are the LED display and also my Inforad K2! and just behind, you can see the dashcam peaking out!

Next Job was to install a spare 12v outlet (pictures will follow) this is under the center console alongside the gear shifter. Didn't have to split any wires, I just poked the live and earth cables into the mains and tied them up with amalgamating tape.then, put in a 4 way adapter. This powers the dashcam and a USB bluetooth - aux adapter which is hiding in the glovebox. Over time, I will also poke the wires through for a phone charger, and hopefully a wire for my handsfree kit so that I can keep it relatively well charged.

I pulled the gearstick cover up and saw the connector, disconnected it, and just poked the red wire into alongside the brown and white, moving it so that when the wire goes in, its wedged in place between the wire and the plastic surround, then the black wire alongside the black wire in the same way. I then used amalgamating tape to wrap the two sets of wires together (separately) just to stop the wire coming loose and pulling out.

IMG_20140515_082639_zpsvt56pofn.jpg

Here you can see the faint blue glow of the ion switch of the 4 port hub and the silver of the edge in the background. I just removed the panel on the passenger footwell and put the port and extra socket just installed straight into there. I would have just cut the plug off the 4 port hub, but to be honest, I prefer the idea that the unit itself is fuse protected.

IMG_20140515_082957_zpssgqsevya.jpg

Next jobs on the cards: install and wire in the rear view camera, and see what LED Bulbs I have will fit this motor!

• Like 1

Nice car mate looking forward to seeing more of this project

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks Pete, photos added to the first post including the parking sensors.

How easy are them dash cams to fit mate, been looking for a while but never found anything that was any good for the price I can afford

Take a look at my signature, that's the one I have and works a treat, no complaints and there's some sample videos. It's easy to install suction cup to window, camera in and cable run under headlining, down pillar, over to centre console and plug in, or as I did, run a second 12v out of sight.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers mate, just been looking through that thread and also the one with the mobius dash cam, I'll have a proper look when I finish work in the morning

Well worth it, although mine is beginning to do my head in, seems I have the quality too high and it just keeps filling the card lol. I need to look into seeing if it can overwrite once it gets to the end!

As for this thread, I have added the pictures now for the extra socket.

Liking the extra socket, been looking at getting usb power into the boot, this may be a good place to start, Ive got a spare cigarette socket too

Yeah I was tempted to do a boot one, bought two for a motorbike from China cheap as chips, got one spare so might well put it to use but the cmax had one and I never used it lol

Nice car! - how do you find it compared to the c-max?

World of its own FOCA! I love it, the handling is graceful, the interior build quality (aside the odd squeak and rattle its earned over its years of labour!) is so much nicer! but its quieter, so much more economical (already heading towards an 800 mile tank!) and having done 400 miles in a half tank (about 70% motorways) its sitting around 61 mpg to the average.

Otherwise, the space in the boot is on par with the CMAX, but its just much nicer (less plastic, more carpet!) its just feels like so much more car. Even the simple things like Cruise Control and ESP just add to the positivey of the car.

All in all, even though its giving me some small headaches (little rattles, air con not working, airbag light intermittently popping on) I havent regretted it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the reverse camera is in situ, needs to be wired up which I should be able to do a chunk of tomorrow. I am waiting on a fuse tap so that I can wire it up to the mains, but I should at least be able to leave the cables.

One note for anyone who does install the camera on a mondeo MK4....

When you remove the trim from the boot (with the Ford Logo on concealing the lighting and bootswitch) its inevitable that you will break at least one or like me - all of the clips at the bottom. I have just put it back together without issue and it doesnt wiggle around so I wouldn't worry about it!

So I will post pictures of the completed article and I hope that I can get this done this week. It will be the final big mod I suppose, but it should look good!

Looking forward to seeing this mate, haven't done much on mine apart from do the full led upgrade inside and change the air filter which didn't need doing as it looks fairly new!

I will get round to my air filter, but for now I am not choking on it so in no hurry! :p

I look forward to getting it working, although I am trying to work out how to get the wire to the mirror, debating taking the wire straight across the headlining, or run it round the sides and up....

Id run the wire along the trim , be easier to remove if you change you car mate

Yeah I was thinking that, checked the wire and it's got be 10 feet long lol

Think you might just have enough then :P

Not sure about that lol. But didn't get much done today, removed the boot plastic trim the wire is ran to the top and now needs the wires connecting up, hopefully the fuse tap is ready and waiting in the office tomorrow :-)

Wont be long then, hurry up and get some piccies done :D

Aye, will do and will picture my latest unapproved modification, some useless twerps addition of a key scratch all the way across my driver door...

Aye, will do and will picture my latest unapproved modification, some useless twerps addition of a key scratch all the way across my driver door...

Was that recent? - a lot of jealous yobbos about! - i bought my car keyed nose to tail on one side - had it a while and someone thought the other side should match!

Sadly so, a couple of days ago in the local maccies. This twerp was parked like a drunken handbrake turn, I sadly chose to park next to him to make it easy to get the youngest lad out. came back and found their car had gone, and my car had mysteriously grown a scratch.

I might check the dashcam and see if I can name and shame the motor involved. I was parked wonky, got out, realised and straightened up trying to give them a bit more space and this was the result... I am rather peeved about it, but hoping that when I get a good day weatherwise, and the kids will actually release my shackles, I will be giving it a good going over with some elbow grease and TCUT, I dont see why I couldnt polish most of it out. Otherwise I might go for a tin of spray paint,and just spray the scratch itself using tons of masking tape. Then, when its settled after the lacquer, start to T Cut it again, and just help it to blend in. Another side project I suppose to returning the car to its former glory.

That's a pain mate,someone has caught my bumper already but I was already going to get it painted as it had some scratches on it, feel for you mate

a bit of elbow grease and I should be fine I hope! I will be fitting the camera and once thats done, I will be working to wash the car, polish the scratches, fix the chips and see what I can do to make it look better!

Camera is now installed and operational :D just have to tidy the boot and fix the relay to the bootwall!

Camera in situ:

ced1ab3e-1f61-4dec-87ae-73bc87a2907a_zps

dde79a34-fa4e-4dff-869b-acb6ebb8f5e6_zps

Rear View Camera now acting as an LCD Screen:

IMG_20140605_140311_zpsvgjyfnfo.jpg

Took me a while to complete, all in all probably took about 4-5 hours work but it was spread out across a few weeks waiting for the right weather, and trying to get the car taken apart and put back together in less than an hour!

I am personally quite happy with the results. the only thing that did irritate me, is that it appears to be missing one screw to hold the camera into the support clip that attaches to the rear light housing. But with a few wraps of emalgamating tape, that is nice and secure, and I dont think its too obvious?

So to do this, I bought a relay (£2 off ebay) and a fusetap (£2 off ebay) and tapped an unused fuse in the rear fusebox (10amp fuse probably will try this with a 5 amp). Wired this to pin 30 on the relay, Then, ran the trigger wire from the reverse wire (where I tapped in with a PosiTap for my parking sensors) to the pin 86 on the relay. Pin 85 was ran to the earth point behind the boot lining, and pin 87 was two in line fuses. I basically wired these two in line fuses into the one pin using a spade clip (just wrapped the naked wires around each other, popped and crimped. Installed two inline fuses and one went off to the camera, the other off to the mirror. I ran the cable along the floor of the car, so went behind the nearside passenger seat, down behind the door seal, across the bottom of the B pillar, along to the dash, up behind the door seal and popped out at the top corner of the windscreen. The wires are all above the head lining above the passenger side of the mirror. and most of the wires are out of sight. I could do with just tidying the last few wires behind the rear view mirror to make it look tidy (tomorrows job I guess!) and off we go :D

Next jobs, get the car washed, polish out the scratch, maybe invest in a chip repair kit and tidy up the bodywork.

I noticed yesterday that someone had been fiddling with my front parking sensors! seems that someone had tried to remove my bracket and pushed it back but either got disturbed or realised they werent going to get it so walked away, so I straightened that out and hope it doesnt happen again :P

As well as trying to tidy the bodywork a little, I suspect I will be working towards changing the bulbs for LED with whatever I have and works! then I think most of my mods will be complete other than watching out on the market for something new!