• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 philip1976

philip1976

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: ford galaxy
Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Like the title says i was getting the lights on the dash and was told i need a new alternator,so first i tried a second hand ones but was still getting the lights on and car just running off battery,so decided to have my original one reconditioned but i am still getting the lights on the dash !! took the alternator back to where it was reconditioned the guy checked it on his machine and said its working fine and there must be a problem on my vehicle

Anyone know what it could be??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Andre

Andre

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 2.3 Zetec

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Like the title says i was getting the lights on the dash and was told i need a new alternator,so first i tried a second hand ones but was still getting the lights on and car just running off battery,so decided to have my original one reconditioned but i am still getting the lights on the dash !! took the alternator back to where it was reconditioned the guy checked it on his machine and said its working fine and there must be a problem on my vehicle

Anyone know what it could be??

Check the tension on the drive belt, if not tensioned correctly then this can cause problems, check the alternator cable connections and wiring from the alternator.

You can also check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running, the alternator should maintain the voltage at around 14 volts even with everything turned on but no more then 14 volts.

#3 philip1976

philip1976

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Am only getting 12 volts not 14

#4 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

it sounds like you have a wiring fault and the alternator voltage is not getting to the battery, try cleaning the earth wiring connection points.

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,754 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

have you tried checking the voltage at the alternator when the engine is running? sounds to me like it could be a wiring fault

#6 philip1976

philip1976

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

It must be a wiring fault,booked in to have an auto electrician have a look tomorrow

#7 Andre

Andre

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 2.3 Zetec

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

Am only getting 12 volts not 14

12 volts is fine and it's not above 14 so all is good there.

As the others have said it sounds like wiring, could be faulty or dirty contacts within the charge light connector block. But the Auto Electrician should find it out.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users