Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Strange Noise (Video Included)

Phil 87

Sorry all i can hear in that video is the turbo spooling, then chattering as it dumps the not needed boost back into the intake system.. (they have a recirculating type valve) Seems more noticeable on the St's then some cars.

Under heavy loads the sound will change to a more of pisst sound.

My new ST does the same, and is much more noticeable my old 1.0lt ecoboost.

The sound will be more noticeable on mountuned cars as the filter breathes more and allows more noise through it, plus its an extra hose to let even more turbo sounds out.

You're probably right, and yes it does change to a "pssst" sound when I floor it :)

I'm not to keen on the sound of the cone filter russdaz. Sounds a little chavy for my liking.

I've been out in my mates focus ST and that's pretty much exactly the same as the noise from the fiesta st as well Phil and that's got 8k on the clock. So I think it's safe to say it's just how the ST's sound.

• Like 1

Take a listen to this video. I so want that cone purely for that sound lol

https://youtu.be/SUKyoO2UmNM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SUKyoO2UmNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah I like that noise too, mine kind of sounds like that when I let off the power, just makes me want to change gear all the time lol. Although that kind of filter seems a bit pointless, sucking in all the hot air from the engine. Good for the sound though. You can even hear the "strange noise" as I call it in that video.

I'm not to keen on the sound of the cone filter russdaz. Sounds a little chavy for my liking.

I've been out in my mates focus ST and that's pretty much exactly the same as the noise from the fiesta st as well Phil and that's got 8k on the clock. So I think it's safe to say it's just how the ST's sound.

Cool, I think we can safely say it's just the sound of the turbo spooling up then. I guess it shows how effective these twin scroll turbos are, when they start spooling up when the car is hardly moving :)

Only down side to the twin scroll is they loose boost high up in the rev range. That's why most have over boost from what I've been told. But yeah there super effective low down as you don't get the lag of a normal or veriable geometry turbo as the cylinders 1-3 spoil one side and 2-4 the other side so power comes in more or less instantly. Here's a couple of videos explaining it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JTRRlSEYI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqSgbyNjqXo

• Like 1

Phil, the one from ggr like that has a carbon heat sheild to prevent heat soak.

• Like 1

Phil, the one from ggr like that has a carbon heat sheild to prevent heat soak.

Yeah that's good, it would have been better if Mountune did something like that for the MP215.

Yeah that's good, it would have been better if Mountune did something like that for the MP215.

Yeah would. But it would be a keeping the Ford warrentee thing, as the extra 15bhp will be mainly a remap thing.

• Like 1

Only down side to the twin scroll is they loose boost high up in the rev range. That's why most have over boost from what I've been told. But yeah there super effective low down as you don't get the lag of a normal or veriable geometry turbo as the cylinders 1-3 spoil one side and 2-4 the other side so power comes in more or less instantly. Here's a couple of videos explaining it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JTRRlSEYI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqSgbyNjqXo

I watched those and the videos on turbos and variable geometry turbos, very interesting :). The stuff about exhaust manifold pressure kind of went over my head lol, but I can see how the twin scroll is designed to spool up faster at lower revs.

So it looks like a variable geometry turbo is best in terms of the overall boost, and the twin scroll reduces lag at the expense of high-RPM boost, is that correct?

I watched those and the videos on turbos and variable geometry turbos, very interesting :). The stuff about exhaust manifold pressure kind of went over my head lol, but I can see how the twin scroll is designed to spool up faster at lower revs.

So it looks like a variable geometry turbo is best in terms of the overall boost, and the twin scroll reduces lag at the expense of high-RPM boost, is that correct?

Pretty much.. but what that video fails to mention is vgt are only really viable on desiels, as its crazy expensive to make vgt for petrol cars due to higher exhaust gas temps, which damages the vanes. Hence the use of conventional, twin scroll or sequential turbos (later being giving good spool times and higher rpm boost) being the main the stay on petrol engines. Porsche for example has used them, but £2,000+ (x2) for a replacement turbo.. not really a viable option in most consumer applications.

• Like 1

Found another instance of the noise you mentioned.

it's quite clear in this video around the 1:40 mark. Just sounds like induction noise or something as Darren said.

• Like 1

Another vote for induction noise.

I picked up a low mileage second hand 14 plate Mountuned ST last week. Around 1500-2000 revs I get that weird sound like these videos. It's like one of those corrugated tubes you had as a kid... You whirl around in the air above your head and it makes a strange-almost-whistling sound.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Another vote for induction noise.

I picked up a low mileage second hand 14 plate Mountuned ST last week. Around 1500-2000 revs I get that weird sound like these videos. It's like one of those corrugated tubes you had as a kid... You whirl around in the air above your head and it makes a strange-almost-whistling sound.

Yes that's an excellent way to describe it, and it's probably because the air is moving through the tubes in the car in the same way.

And congrats on getting an ST :)

• Like 1

Phil, I have just listened to the video again, I have the exact same noise.

It started when I had the mountune fitted, I believe it is the air being sucked up in the extra intake pipe they fit with the airbox, it reminds me of one of those plastic flexy pipes we had as kids and used to wizz it round and it would make that wooing noise.

Ahh. I didn't see this earlier in the thread. Looks like we all hear the same thing :)

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC