Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Strange Noise (Video Included)

Phil 87

I'm watching this on iPad and I'm kinda hearing a low down "police siren" type noise? Is this the case or is it just the iPad? I'll check it with headphones in a bit...

I'm watching this on iPad and I'm kinda hearing a low down "police siren" type noise? Is this the case or is it just the iPad? I'll check it with headphones in a bit...

Could be just the iPad, it's mainly that noise from 12-17 secs, which is quite low pitched but I don't hear anything that sounds like a siren (my first Fiesta made a noise a bit like a siren, needed a new water pump). This noise doesn't really sound like anything else to me, except the sound of a broken car lol.

Fair do's. Hope you get it sorted ok mate.

• 4 weeks later...

I just remembered I'd forgot to post an update on this. I took it to Ford twice, both times it didn't really make the noise, even after I left it with them overnight and drove it round the dealership with the mechanic next to me.

It's still making the noise, but I've been told by 3 different mechanics that it's nothing to worry about and might go away by itself. One of them said to leave it until about 3,000 miles and see how it goes. I'm not convinced it's ok, but it's certainly driving ok.

I've done just over 1,500 miles now, might take it back to them at around 2,000 miles if it doesn't magically fix itself as they seem to think it will.

Phil, I have just listened to the video again, I have the exact same noise.

It started when I had the mountune fitted, I believe it is the air being sucked up in the extra intake pipe they fit with the airbox, it reminds me of one of those plastic flexy pipes we had as kids and used to wizz it round and it would make that wooing noise.

I've just listened to this again and it sounds just like mine. I only notice this when moving off both forwards and backwards. I also thought it was a sticking brake at first but it's not. I suspect it's the turbo starting to spool up but I may be wrong. I've done over 4000 miles but only noticed it because I started opening the window before setting off when the weather improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Have you had the mountune fitted Phil? like I say I noticed it straight away after having it fitted.

If it helps, Mine makes the same noise after I fitted the graham Goode induction kit

It's good to hear that some of you are hearing the same noise on your cars, makes me less worried that there could be something wrong. Maybe mine is just louder, I can hear it with the windows closed when there isn't much road noise, even when the engine has warmed up, mostly around 2000 revs.

And no I haven't had the mountune fitted, maybe I will at some point.

• Like 1

Mine is loud Phil, I think it's the turbo spooling/sucking air in.

No mountune on mine either but I agree it's probably the turbo spooling up. I notice it most when the car is cold first thing but after driving a while seems quieter. Can't here it with the windows closed though

Phil, I have just listened to the video again, I have the exact same noise.

It started when I had the mountune fitted, I believe it is the air being sucked up in the extra intake pipe they fit with the airbox, it reminds me of one of those plastic flexy pipes we had as kids and used to wizz it round and it would make that wooing noise.

Slightly off topic here but just wondering whats the Mountune package like ? is there a big difference mine going in for the mountune upgrade a week today can't wait !! :D

Hi Adam, I had it done with about 560 miles on clock, so not to sure power wise but throttle is a lot smoother, I was only revving up to about 4000 revs before I had it done, now I just take it to what ever suits now. Fuel wise, again not sure because its going up all the time, roughly getting 41mpg driving it half motorway half A/B roads, it just keeps pulling through the rev range, all in all it's a nice badge for £649. :)

Done 970 miles now.

Hi Adam, I had it done with about 560 miles on clock, so not to sure power wise but throttle is a lot smoother, I was only revving up to about 4000 revs before I had it done, now I just take it to what ever suits now. Fuel wise, again not sure because its going up all the time, roughly getting 41mpg driving it half motorway half A/B roads, it just keeps pulling through the rev range, all in all it's a nice badge for £649. :)

Done 970 miles now.

sounds good to me yeah i heard fuel wise the Mountune package for a lot of people can actually improve fuel consumption I'm averaging around 35MPG at the moment i knew someone who was getting the same and after he got his Mountuned it increased to over 40MPG and everyone i speak to about it says if you have an ST you have to get it Mountuned so week today i will join the Mountuned club :D

I'm averaging around 35MPG at the moment

Same here, using Shell Vpower. I'll see if my mpg goes up after mountuning it, probably not cos I'll be flooring it all the time :driving:

Same here, using Shell Vpower. I'll see if my mpg goes up after mountuning it, probably not cos I'll be flooring it all the time :driving:

I've been using Shell V power and BP Ultimate with my ST recently and i don't think i will ever go back to using standard 95 Octaine fuel anymore i find that high octane fuel has made a big difference in fuel consumption get better MPG and range aswell i would say deffo worth the extra ££ should be intresting to see how it adds on after the MP215 kits been added :)

I only feed mine Shell or bp standard 95, not convinced that 97 or 98 Ron would make this engine perform any better, but ... I might give it a go, going off your comments.

• 9 months later...

I just thought I'd resurrect this thread again because my car is still making this noise lol. It might not be as bad as it was before, but I'm coming up to the first service in a few weeks so will probably bring it up then, after being told by other dealers that it should go away by itself.

So can I just ask, those of you who said your cars are also making a noise like this, is that still the case? And any other ST owners, can you let me know whether your car is making this noise or not?

Small stone stuck against the brake disc?

I've never heard it on mine but I'll check when I'm next out for you and let you know. Only thing I've noticed on mine when the window is down is how loud the induction and recirculation valve noise is.

Small stone stuck against the brake disc?

It can't be the brakes because it sometimes makes this noise before the car starts moving, although brakes were what some of us suspected when I started this thread.

I've never heard it on mine but I'll check when I'm next out for you and let you know. Only thing I've noticed on mine when the window is down is how loud the induction and recirculation valve noise is.

I've noticed those too, and the difference is that those are sounds that I like to hear :)

So I've just been out in mine and I seem to be getting a similar noise to that. Mines done 10600 miles it only does it when on the power then stops when I let off the power. When I drive normal (ie not putting the foot down) there is no noise. I've spoke to a friend of mine and this is apparently a common sound of the twin scroll turbos used on both the focus and fiesta st's. My friend is BMW master tech and said its the same as some of the there cars that have twin scroll turbos.

• Like 1

So I've just been out in mine and I seem to be getting a similar noise to that. Mines done 10600 miles it only does it when on the power then stops when I let off the power. When I drive normal (ie not putting the foot down) there is no noise. I've spoke to a friend of mine and this is apparently a common sound of the twin scroll turbos used on both the focus and fiesta st's. My friend is BMW master tech and said its the same as some of the there cars that have twin scroll turbos.

That's some really good info :). That's what I assumed up to now, that it was basically a noise that all 1.6L Ecoboost engines make (and maybe 1.0L too). But there are some ST owners who said theirs doesn't make this sound, so maybe they just didn't notice it. It would be good to hear from anyone else if you have or haven't got this sound coming from your engine.

I'll admit I never noticed it until I checked as I've not had the window down whilst ive been out in it. Plus with the sound symposer you get a lot of the grunt but no induction or turbo noise so I can understand why most don't realise. I know a lad that has a new focus st I'm going to have a word with him when I can and see if they do it as well as they have a bigger version of the twin scroll turbo so should make the same noise.

• Like 1

Sorry all i can hear in that video is the turbo spooling, then chattering as it dumps the not needed boost back into the intake system.. (they have a recirculating type valve) Seems more noticeable on the St's then some cars.

Under heavy loads the sound will change to a more of pisst sound.

My new ST does the same, and is much more noticeable my old 1.0lt ecoboost.

The sound will be more noticeable on mountuned cars as the filter breathes more and allows more noise through it, plus its an extra hose to let even more turbo sounds out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club