Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ranger 2007 4X4 help

galaxy0906

Hi All, first post to this site as very little info available antwhere else on the web !!

I have had my 2007 Ranger Thunder D/Cab for 1 year now from new, its back at the dealer having its 1st years service and minor repairs.

I have issues with its 4x4, I engaged 4x4 one day when the heavens opened and road surface was awash with water , driving along fine in a relatively straight line until I needed to make a turn on a small round-about and the truck put up a resistance (like hand brake applied whilst driving !). I have discovered this on several occasions and I am confused !

The owners manual is poor and not clear on its proper use, yes I understand that I have the option of going off road but this is not likely to be a habit of mine !

Any one else experienced this, Ford dealer has stated a couple of their guys got caught out whilst trying to park a truck !! This seems to be a bad system ? :(

Any Help appreciatted !

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, first post to this site as very little info available antwhere else on the web !!

I have had my 2007 Ranger Thunder D/Cab for 1 year now from new, its back at the dealer having its 1st years service and minor repairs.

I have issues with its 4x4, I engaged 4x4 one day when the heavens opened and road surface was awash with water , driving along fine in a relatively straight line until I needed to make a turn on a small round-about and the truck put up a resistance (like hand brake applied whilst driving !). I have discovered this on several occasions and I am confused !

The owners manual is poor and not clear on its proper use, yes I understand that I have the option of going off road but this is not likely to be a habit of mine !

Any one else experienced this, Ford dealer has stated a couple of their guys got caught out whilst trying to park a truck !! This seems to be a bad system ? :(

Any Help appreciatted !

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I used to get this too, It's normal the vehicles are not meant to be in 4 wheel drive on the road, I only use mine in slippery conditions, If I'm going slowly around tight corners I drop back into 2 wheel drive.

The problem I had was reversing off my driveway after fogetting to take it out of 4x4. You get used to it.

• 8 months later...

I've experienced this myself in a 55 plate Thunder.

It was great in the snow, but if I was trying to park it on relatively grippy tarmac it felt like you describe.

I just put it down to having all 4 wheels pushing with the front ones facing a different direction. Maybe someone a bit technical can tell me if it's something to do with the slip diff?

Cheers

What you are all experiencing is "transmission windup" .

The Ranger been 4wd has a diff at the front and back to enable each wheel on the same axle to rotate at differing speeds but it is not equipped with a centre diff to allow for differing speeds between front and back wheels. When its in 4wd and goes round a corner all four wheels need to rotate at different speeds and when its on tarmac they cant.

Strain is placed on the driveshafts/transmission and worsecase either your shaft/gearbox goes bang or a wheel spins to overcome the stress.

You should not engage and use 4wd on a tarmac surface.

Hope that helps

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club