5 replies to this topic

#1 simba

simba

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Titanium - Ocean Blue
Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hi guys,

Yesterday i noticed a very strange noise coming from under the bonnet whilst driving.

It happens only when accelerating slightly hard.

Heres the issue:

the engine makes a 'whoooooshing' sound when accelerating slightly hard, normal acceleration is fine - it sounds like a burst of wind noise which is what i thought it was, but its definately not that as iv tested it many times now. What on earth is it? A turbo leak?

This morning about a minute after setting off to begin my 40mile journey to work it happened but the engine malfunction light also came on - so i thought poo!....pulled over, stopped engine waited a bit then started up again and fine - but the same noise still as i had to check.

Iv never had any warning lights come on to indicate anything needs topped up etc and Oil is fine as it was topped up 2 weeks ago.

mpg was also 47mpg instead of around 54 which is the norm for me....

advice?

thanks,

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Sid_WRC

Sid_WRC

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Focus zetec s wrc 1.6 16v

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi guys,

Yesterday i noticed a very strange noise coming from under the bonnet whilst driving.

Heres the issue:

the engine makes a 'whoooooshing' sound when accelerating slightly hard, normal acceleration is fine - it sounds like a burst of wind noise which is what i thought it was, but its definately not that as iv tested it many times now. What on earth is it? A turbo leak?

This morning about a minute after setting off to begin my 40mile journey to work it happened but the engine malfunction light also came on - so i thought poo!....pulled over, stopped engine waited a bit then started up again and fine - but the same noise still as i had to check.

Iv never had any warning lights come on to indicate anything needs topped up etc and Oil is fine as it was topped up 2 weeks ago.

advice?

thanks,

sounds like you're turbo is going, the vans at work do the same, check the smoke coming outta your exhaust, if its a lot blacker than normal its definately your turbo

#3 matty2008

matty2008

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ford Model: 2002 focus st170
Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hi guys,

Heres the issue:

advice?

thanks,

sounds like theres a whole in the intercooler, or maybe if your lucky, just a pipe to the intercooler. if it is the intercooler, whats more of a concern is what caused it to blow a hole in it? when mine went, it was because it was filling with oil which was leaking from the turbo which was worn out. so you could end up needing a new intercooler and a new turbo.

i was advised that i could leave the turbo as it would last another few thousand miles, but if yours turns out to be the same problem, id advise you to change it straight away. after about 200 miles the turbo blow in spectacular fashion, it dumps the entire contents of the old straight into the engine via the intercooler. so the engine runs on this oil with the rev counter on the redline, with absolutley no way of stopping it,bellowing a massive black cloud of smoke. eventually the engine stopped dead and your left wondering if the engines just ceased up. it hadnt, but it was scariest thing thats happened to me in my 15 years of driving!!!

but thats a worst case scenario!!, it could just be a split hose or something

hope this helps, and i havent just scared you to death

#4 Sid_WRC

Sid_WRC

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Focus zetec s wrc 1.6 16v

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:21 AM

hope this helps, and i havent just scared you to death

this made me giggle lol

#5 Texaspete81

Texaspete81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: focus 1.8tdci (climate)
  • Year: 2007

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I have the same issue with mine. I'm running a Focus 1.8tdci climate (07 plate, 62k) and get the whooshing noise at 1800rpm when I accelerate quickly, the noise stops once I settle out at speed and I have no loss in power (but I think my fuel consumptions down a little). I've checked all the hoses but found nothing untoward, also the noise isn't very loud but as I've heard it once I hear it everytime now.

I have no warning lights up and have tried the turbo cleaner recommended by the garage to see if that would clean out any blocked vanes.

Any suggestions where to look next without having to spend a fortune in the garage?

All help is hugely appreciated :)

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,981 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

could be a simple split in the air hose, 90% of the time this is what it is, if your turbo is behaving

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users