Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Change Glow Plugs On Mk2 1.8Tdci?

lucky162k

Hey,

Wonder if you can help me please?

I have a Focus MK2 (2005) 1.8Tdci and had a limp mode issue with the car and got a P0670 Glow Plug Control Module Circuit Fault DTC and took it to Ford this morning and confirmed it is a glow plug failure and needs replacing and been quoted £200, ridiculous!

Just shopping around to see which garage offers the best repair deal but in the meantime I know I'm an engineer and can do it myself but unfortunately not fully equipped with tools etc. but happy to do it if I can.

Can you please guide me or let me know if there is a guide on here on how to change the glow plug set, what tools are required and perhaps where is the best place to buy these parts online? Also wondering if I can still drive it in limp mode until I get the parts delivered?

Thanks and appreciate a quick response.

Look forward to hear from you...

P0670 DTC Glow Plug Control Module Circuit Fault

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0670
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Make sure the engines warm before you remove them as they will snap and mess the engine up

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Iirc they are quite straight forward to get at on the 1.8tdci - they can be accessed without removing the inlet manifold.

I can't remember any sizes bit it's as simple as unbolting the cable from the plugs and then unscrewing the plugs either with a glow plug socket or just a deep socket. No need for any fancy tools.

I have never had any plugs snap on me before, it does happen though.

They are quite simple my cousins a mechanic and he said take the car for a 20 min drive before or they will snap, i have never done them, better be safe than sorry lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

its a 7mm for the nuts holding the wireing i think and 8mm for the plugs themselves, use a normal deep socket 1/4" or 3/8"

youll need to remove the oil dip stick nut and lift it out of the way to access one of the plugs

also good idea to spray some penetrating oil (Wd40, Plus gas) on the threads and let it sit for a few mins before loosening

would take you 10mins to change :)

before you dwell into changing them, just have a look at where the loom meets the main in-feed. take the engine cover off, and you will see it on the right hand side of the block.... mine snapped here.... loom 14 quid, and a 8mm socket.....

I done my uncles van. Spray with wd40 and warm the engine up. Then.as your about to remove the glow plugs don't dive straight into it. Get the tension on the plugs first then give it a little extra pressure and they should come.out with ease.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app