Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven handbrake?

MR GHIA

I'm soon taking my 1986 Fiesta Mk2 to the Mot station, but it has an uneven handbrake at the moment.

Three clicks until the wheel goes solid on the right hand side and four clicks on the other, I would prefer them to be even on both sides.

The rear brakes are self adjusting but is there anything I can do to make the handbrake even on both sides?

Steve :D

• 1 year later...

It's probably buggered mate.

I'd just chuck it in the bin if I was you.

Know what i'm sayin' yeah?

It's probably buggered mate.

I'd just chuck it in the bin if I was you.

Know what i'm sayin' yeah?

LMAO!! Another classic!

I wouldnt worry about that too much, a handbrake normally setup for 5clicks, so solid both sides for 4clicks is damn good on age of vehicle you have.

Only thing if your picky to do is remove drum of the one that takes 4 clicks and manually 'click out' the shoes a bit, not too much else you wont get the drum back on!! But its a tricky little job and you get fraction too much and the shoes will rub too much etc.

If i was adjusting your brakes, I be well happy with 4 clicks solid both sides!! :)

I would have thought more likely to be hand brake cable starting to seize on one side.

But if it locks wouldn't worry too much.

I would have thought more likely to be hand brake cable starting to seize on one side.

But if it locks wouldn't worry too much.

but then the handbrake would bind, due to not releasing...he not complaining of that!

but then the handbrake would bind, due to not releasing...he not complaining of that!

Depends on the amount of bind, as the springs will overcome a small amount of bind allowing the brake to come off but the free side will apply more easily, giving the reported fault of one side coming on slightly before the other :blink:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club