Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Question

winkfir

Hi

I have a Ford Fiesta Zetec S (58 reg) and seem to have a problem with the air conditioning in that it only blows cold air when accelerating. If I stop in traffic or at traffic lights it continues to blow air but it's not cold air, it then begins blowing cold again once under acceleration. I've had the problem quite a while but it's become more annoying with the recent hot weather. I had the system re-gassed at the end of last year so don't think it can be due to this.

I've also just put it into a garage but the mechanic seems to think that it's just the way some cars are made, which seems strange and I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Open the bonnet with the ac running, is the belt / tensioner moving properly?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Run the aircon for a bit standing still and open the bonnet. Is the fan behind the radiator spinning? It draws air through the condenser which is why it may not blow cold when stationary, so it should be.

I have this exact same problem on my 2006 Zetec S. When stationary, you can hear the compressor is continually engaging, then disengaging a few seconds later accompanied by a hissing noise. Seems to work fine when moving.

Regassing made no difference.

My thought was also that the engine fan was not working, and I can confirm that it does not come on when air con is on and the car is stationary - it should shouldn't it?

I've checked/ replaced the engine fan fuses and relays - made no difference.

Any ideas anybody?

I have this exact same problem on my 2006 Zetec S. When stationary, you can hear the compressor is continually engaging, then disengaging a few seconds later accompanied by a hissing noise. Seems to work fine when moving.

Regassing made no difference.

My thought was also that the engine fan was not working, and I can confirm that it does not come on when air con is on and the car is stationary - it should shouldn't it?

I've checked/ replaced the engine fan fuses and relays - made no difference.

Any ideas anybody?

Find where the fan power connector Is and disconnect it. Then with the the air con running check that power is getting to the fan by probing the connections with a multimeter. If power gets there, it could be a burnt out fan. Check the fan works also by running 12v through the fan's connector and it should spin. Keep anything out of the way!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Could also just be something like a rotten connection, needing it to move to work and when idling it isn't in place or something stupid. but it is powered over the alternator, if the tensioner isn't great or turning properly it could be the cause

Find where the fan power connector Is and disconnect it. Then with the the air con running check that power is getting to the fan by probing the connections with a multimeter. If power gets there, it could be a burnt out fan. Check the fan works also by running 12v through the fan's connector and it should spin. Keep anything out of the way!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks, entirely sensible suggestions - just what I was intending to do next if I can find my !Removed! little old multimeter :)

Thanks great advice. I'll check it out at the weekend.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club