Do Not Sell My Personal Information

59 Plate 1.6 Zetec Oil Change.

frostman83

i have the filter and the oil.

what tools do i need to complete the job? i have a socket set but wondering if anything else will come in handy?

• Like 1

If it's got an under shield/cover fitted you will need torx bit sockets - I can't remember what size (t30?)

Apart from that you should be fine

• Like 1

13mm socket and probably a oil filter wrench or screwdriver if your a bit of an animal

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

yep, t30 torx bit to remove the engine undertray and 13mm for the socket. the oil filter should remove by hand if youre wearing latex gloves

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Will I need a new washer and sump plug?

Best to get a sump plug washer off ebay`, ford only seem to sell the washer with a new sump plug which is £5 or £6!

The sump plugs with the rubber washer can be used a few times no problem.

i have the filter and the oil.

what tools do i need to complete the job? i have a socket set but wondering if anything else will come in handy?

a can of wynnes engine flush costs under 10 pounds and is great for using before draining the old oil,

WYN51265_zpsaaorlzvg.jpg

a can of wynnes engine flush costs under 10 pounds and is great for using before draining the old oil,WYN51265_zpsaaorlzvg.jpg

I would save the tenner and use it towards a good quality fully synthetic oil. Personally I can't see why modern engines using quality oil and serviced at the correct interval need flushing.

As Hyundai a said (in 2009 when they advised against the use of flushing products), an unusually dirty engine is not a normal problem.

• Like 1

I would save the tenner and use it towards a good quality fully synthetic oil. Personally I can't see why modern engines using quality oil and serviced at the correct interval need flushing.

As Hyundai a said (in 2009 when they advised against the use of flushing products), an unusually dirty engine is not a normal problem.

Hyundai use solvent based glue to hold it all together thats there problem :lol: what about diesel engines with EGR valves in operation causing excessive carbon deposits to build up in the oil slowly leading to a blocked turbo oil feed pipe, :)

Hyundai use solvent based glue to hold it all together thats there problem :lol: what about diesel engines with EGR valves in operation causing excessive carbon deposits to build up in the oil slowly leading to a blocked turbo oil feed pipe, :)

Ford have used an undersized oil feed, that's their problem :lol: I know of many diesels with hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock which have egr valves and have had nothing major done to them.

I have always been wary about engine flushes stripping out more than is good. My opinion is unless the engine needs a flush, leave it alone. Modern oils contain detergents so changed on time or before they should be doing the cleaning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie guys.

Am I correct in assuming 4.3l is the max fill up for the new oil?

Cheers

Ford on the ti vct flush the engine as part of the emissions service before changing the oil

Did the oil change all was fine. The old oil was dark and had a strong petrol smell to it.

Thanks for all the help on here.

WHat do you guys recommend for spark plugs?

glad to here you did the change with success.... did you put a film of oil onto the rubber filter seal prior to fitting, if not dont worry...

i must be a animal then, as i must over tighten the filter due to every time i do a change its impossible to remove by hand lol

as i dont have a petrol i carnt help you, but ppl do upgrade the plugs for a better spark etc.... maybe a ngk iridium or something of its equivalent....

sorry i carnt help any further

• Like 1

Yes I put a seal on the filter. I removed the old one by hand.. It was tough mind. But all in all happy with my first attempt.

Have done spark plugs before but they will be next along with a pollen filter.

the 1 thing ive never done is my pollen filter..... ive read to many stories about them leaking once have been changed.... and tbf thats put me off.... lol

Isnt the pollen filter on the Focus behind the centre console as my CMAX was? (i.e. between the two footwells?) if so that shouldnt leak it was only the MK1 styling where the filter was under the windscreen that was the issue?

• Like 1

yes its between both foot wells and hold in with bolts i think.....

That won't cause any leaks don't worry :-)

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

The mk2 pollen filter is just a pita to get to!

• Like 1

in this case i may have to ermmmm get er dun this weekend, along with the valvoline turbo cleaner

• Like 1

Well changed the filter. Was a bit tricky. Took around half an hour. Have to take glove box out and drop fuse box. Bit tight for space but no too bad all in all although the spark plug change was a lot quicker. All serviced for another year though so thanks for the input all.

no problem, glad to be of service :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club