Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo Not Working

TBarclay

Hi, I'm new to this so bare with me,

I was removing my stereo to fit an aux lead to the back and as I took it out I knock the wires coming from the back on the climate controls and saw a spark, once fitting it all back into place it won't turn back on at all, I have tested all the fuses and none of them are blown, I'm not sure what else it could be?

Could someone help please

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Forgot to mention, my car is a ford focus mk2 (2006) and the CD player is a 6000cd

It probably just earthed out, and the spark was hopefully nothing, but if the stereo wont turn on at all then it probably has blown the stereo fuse at the back of the stereo, if that is not present then it may have blown the stereo itself.

I cannot see a fuse and everywhere I look online has different answers as to weather or not it has a fuse?

Certainly the 6000CD on the Focus does have it to my knowledge. It should be on the back next to the large connector block. Stoney871 has posted on a few ocassions (but I cant recall where exactly) a fuse diagram showing exactly what the layout of the rear of the unit appears as.

Here we go (took a few minutes to find it!)

Quadlocklayout110913owndoc.jpg

Some models do have a fuse on the marked position on the radio.

The 6000/6006 models however do not as far as I know.

I'd say that the radio is likely blown and a replacement may be necessary.

Ford would charge about £800 for a new one and radio repair companies will charge silly amounts.

Best way to get a replacement if needed is via eBay.

You can pick up 6000's for very little nowadays.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-cd-player-6000-/251540717703?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a90fec087

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-6000-Cd-Player-Transit-fiesta-/181415178619?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a3d2ff17b

Or better go for a Sony model, much nicer looking and great sound.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Cd-Layer-For-Ford-Focus-2006-Onwards-/281347120149?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4181985c15

Contrary to what this listing says, you definitely need a code for it, easily obtained from eBay for a couple of pounds using the V code serial number on the sticker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-FORD-RADIO-CODES-AVAILABLE-SERIAL-NUMBERS-V-M-A-C-L-SONY-VISTIEON-CLASSIC-/330841733072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d07b437d0

Thanks will have to order one via eBay and hope for the best!

test the infeed with a mulitmeter just to check you have power to the connector

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new stereo today and hooked it up, still not working? Does this mean that it would be the wiring that damaged?

Short of buying a dud off eBay its quite likely to be a wiring issue.

Did you get to run a multimeter between the live pin and the earth pin?

prob not

I don't have access to a multimeter, could Halfords or someone test this for me?

take it Halfords and they would be better licking it to find out if their is power there... They wont be experienced in the art of multimeter use (one or two across the nation perhaps, but they are not given any real training). If you take it to the old autocentres (Halfords bought the service and garage division a while back I believe), you might have more luck.

If I was you, I would go to your local wilkinsons store, pick up their dirt cheap multimeter (I paid about £5 for mine if not less) and then pull the stereo out.

Using the image I hijacked of Stoney's above, poke the red prong into the permenant live and the black into the earth and the meter set to voltage readings (up to 20v). Then record each reading with the ignition off and the ignition on. Repeat the test with the switched ignition live.

If neither of these offer a reading or a reading close to 12v in both positions, then you have a wiring issue. It could be a short circuit or water ingress up the loom, either way, its going to make it more fun for you to replace the wiring. Likewise, it could be as simple as a blown fuse (wrong amp fuse in the slot) which causes your issues - But I am sure you would have checked this)

Okay, I have taken it to Halfords got everything checked, turned out it was just a fuse(after another Halfords had told me they were all fine)

Hooked it all up and no sound came out, turns out I blew the amp in the stereo, luckily I ordered the replacement stereo and it all works fine, only problem is I got a mondeo 6000cd player so it doesn't quite fit the trim, I'm just gunna sand it down abit so it fits properly,

Thanks for all the help though it's much appreciated

No problem, glad to be of service!

No surprise that they got it wrong, but I take my hat off, Halfords managed to sort it out!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club