Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

808 #16 Dashcam - For Rear Use

Byr0n

Just to let everyone know I have ordered a 808 #16 dash camera from banggood:

http://www.banggood.com/808-NO_16-HD-120-Degree-Mini-Camera-Module-7g-p-82197.html

Details can be found here:

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C16/

It's a 720P camera designed by the chaps who made the Mobius which I already have in the front of the car. I didn't want to spend £40+ for the rear as it's not as important but 720P will capture what I need.

There are 3 lens types: A, B and D (not a C)

I have ordered a lens D as it has the most wide angle, difference between the 3 can be seen in post below

The camera can be configured just as the Mobius using the software designed by Isoprop: http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/

Once I receive will post up review :)

• Like 1

Not sure why but comparison video does not appear in post above, this is link:

• Like 1

D looks good to me! not a bad investment will be interesting to see how it all works out for you :)

• Like 1

What about mounts? Any suitable for rear screen?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

What about mounts? Any suitable for rear screen?

Yep, only £2.37 from the developer on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221414238693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This then screws either in to a suction cup mount or adhesive mount.

I wanted something small so was discreet and not in the way when looking out the rear mirror

• Like 1

Oh and you can get extra 5% off any item on banggood using this code: b185f7

Takes another £1.30 off my dashcam :)

• Like 1

You had me worried.. A camera for the rear? :o

• Like 1

hehe, everybody needs a camera for their rear ;)

• Like 2

This is the camera before they thought about turning it into a dashcam/action cam.

I didn't know mounts were available this is a nice alternative. It's built to be a spy cam so even better at hiding

This is the camera before they thought about turning it into a dashcam/action cam.

I didn't know mounts were available this is a nice alternative. It's built to be a spy cam so even better at hiding

Yes, the previous versions were designed to be spy cams, but the #16 was designed to turn on when powered, loop record and switch off automatically when power was disconnected. Looking forward to having a play :)

• Like 1

Not bad at all, although it will be interesting to see if the price justifies the product!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how did you wire this in Byron. I've got the mobius in the front but so many t***s I'd like to catch up the rear of my Focus.

If a power socket is available in the boot (or you can wire one in as Lenny did, but hide it behind the panel) you could run the power supply from there, up the rear panel and D pillar, through the roof lining and either:

a) through the rubber boot grommet up to the hatch and out to the window

or

b) stright from the headlining, across the gap and onto the rear window, (little loose cable).

Alternatively you could always affix it to the headlining, or the boot trim so you dont have the wire bridging the gap up to the bootlid?

• Like 1

Looking forward to a review here Byron, I love the idea of the PC and android interfaces for it, that would be enough to drag me over to it! my cams already gone back to full disk space and needs formatting to get it working...

If a power socket is available in the boot (or you can wire one in as Lenny did, but hide it behind the panel) you could run the power supply from there, up the rear panel and D pillar, through the roof lining and either:

a) through the rubber boot grommet up to the hatch and out to the window

or

B) stright from the headlining, across the gap and onto the rear window, (little loose cable).

Alternatively you could always affix it to the headlining, or the boot trim so you dont have the wire bridging the gap up to the bootlid?

I thought of that, but I wonder will the 12v power socket in the boot be permanent live or live on ignition?

Long winded way I guess is to do the piggyback fuse option like the mobius and feed the wire across the roof to the rear.

It will be ignition live, it just depends if you want it that way or otherwise.

Perfect I better get on with adding the socket in my boot.

The +12v Orange feed that's taped up behind the OSR carpet trim in the boot is not ignition controlled; i.e. it's permenantly live.

Although the orange tipped 2-way connector (the one that's taped up near to the boot floor) is the correct pattern for a standard Ford 12v power socket there's no earth wire so you'll have to make up your own earth wire.

Note: Ignore the skinny Brown/Blue ? wire with the black cover that's taped up alongside the power connector - it's far too small and not an earth wire.

If you have the factory fit reverse sensors then don't use either of the two mounting screws for your earth point as they both screw into plastic inserts so you won't get an earth from them.

Since I had taken the OSR rear parcel shelf support trim panel off (in order to make easy to drill the hole) I had good look round for a suitable ready made earth point and ran a heavy gauge wire forwards alongside the main harness (the section that runs directly past the upper mounting point of the OSR damper) and used the mounting bolt of the perimeter alarm horn as my earth point as it already acts an earth point for the perimeter alarm horn.

The perimeter alarm horn is mounted by an 8mm diameter threaded bolt (10mm head) just behind the upper edge of the dark lower trim next to the OSR door right where the joint between the C-pillar dark and light trim panels meet (roughly about armpit level when sitting in the OSR seat).

I used cone cutter to make the hole (28mm was needed for my splashproof socket as used in boats) and mounted a 12v auxiliary power socket into the vertical flat area just above the rearmost hook on the plastic trim panel.

Location of Perimeter Alarm Sounder

gallery_21712_1080_41775.jpg

Position of 12v auxiliary power socket

gallery_21712_1080_18463.jpg

• Like 2

Another method would be to run 1 wire from the same piggy back fuse under floor carpets since its close to your PJB and create an earth point within the boot somewhere, I suppose it really depends on where your mounting the camera.

I've been thinking about it and for my car I wouldn't want it stuck onto the boot lid glass that will leave you with moving parts (your power cables) however mounting it elsewhere will require some adaptive mounts I think

• Like 1

The power cables for cameras are usually quite thin and with a bit of care can be routed through the 'rubber snake' that holds the regular cables (rear screen, rear wiper, boot latch) for the hatch and then down the D-pillar of your choice.

• Like 2

I have been considering something for the front that's very small and discrete so I can leave in it in place and not have to remove it just in case thieves may see it and break into the car. This looks like it could do the job.

I did get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Full-HD-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-NE-/251532675235?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3a908408a3

but I feel its too big and a bit of a pain to take off as you either have to keep sticking and unsticking the suction cup or unscrewing the camera, which is a fiddle if right up against the windscreen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The cams posted by the OP are selling for £17.32 on eBay, although not sure whether its a,b or d.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16GB-Capacity-Key-Camera-Cam-Keychain-808-DVR-/150741489497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2318e49759

they are going for under a tenner if you are willing to take a chance on a chinese version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2G-4G-8G-16G-808-Spy-Keychain-Camera-DVR-Covert-Video-Spy-Camera-DVR-720-480-30f-/261460736578?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item3ce0463a42

That bottom one looks OK, the quality is apparently:

The only thing I do wonder is if you can configure it the same as the mobius, and the one thing that did my head in was the fact that the timestamp in the corner was floating... not sure what was going on there!

I am about to ask a handful of questions such as is it configurable, does it auto overwrite etc, and will post the sellers response. If they do, I will be buying one!

EDIT: in fact I just re read the listing, looks like there is no way to configure it, it seems fixed in its configuration, and I suspect that it probably wont overwrite the old when its full.

That bottom one looks OK, the quality is apparently:

The only thing I do wonder is if you can configure it the same as the mobius, and the one thing that did my head in was the fact that the timestamp in the corner was floating... not sure what was going on there!

I am about to ask a handful of questions such as is it configurable, does it auto overwrite etc, and will post the sellers response. If they do, I will be buying one!

Thanks for the fast reply James.

The other small cam I saw was this, as it has mounting brackets included.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Digital-Pocket-DV-Camera-Sports-Bike-Helmet-Action-DVR-Video-Cam-UK-/291128473201?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item43c89bf671

that one doesnt seem to be car mounted, or at least I cant see it in the kit thats sold?

that one doesnt seem to be car mounted, or at least I cant see it in the kit thats sold?

True, but you can use the crocodile clip supplied to clip onto sunvisor, or get some double sided tape or velcro and stick the other bracket to the screen or the dash. With velcro it would be extremely easy to whip off and put away too.

There are so many to choose from nowadays, its difficult knowing which one to get. Yes I know you get what you pay for so the cheaper ones will always be inferior, but as long as its clear enough to get registration numbers and faces, thats pretty much enough.

There is this one too, which looks fancy, g-sensor, rear camera remote control etc but I don't think this has any type of fixing bracket. my bad it has a sticky pad :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Smallest-Camcorder-Mini-Car-Dash-DVR-Camera-Recorder-Video-Cam-G-sensor-/371088900410?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56669f413a