Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Code P0490 After Fitting Egr Blanking Plate

Randallsfocus

I believe there are two locations where the EGR can be blanked on the 2.0TDCi

As in: there's two locations where the flange is the same.

Noe somewhere between these two locations is a pressure sensor which is triggered of course when the flange further up the line is blanked,

However: if the egr system is blanked as close to the exhaust as possible then the pressure wont build around the sensor location.

Sadly ive not been near a 2.0TDCi to show anyone where it is though.

Hi, does this help? Number 5 where it bolts to exhaust manifold

post-39445-142065986921_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Hi, does this help? Number 5 where it bolts to exhaust manifold

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1420659867.809822.jpg

Yes that's perfect blanked before it even reaches the cooling chamber,

If blanked there at bottom left elbow in image there number 5 it shouldn't throw up any EML's

Ow and use a stainless steel blanking plate otherwise it will eventually burst through.

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll get to try it this weekend

• Like 1

Will that work for a 1.6tdci 2010 as well or are they different?

Trac

• Like 1

I'm not sure on the layout of the 1.6 tdci system. In the Ford Focus guides section Lenny has done a detailed guide on fitting a EGR blanking plate on the 1.6 engine

• Like 1

Will that work for a 1.6tdci 2010 as well or are they different?

Trac

here's a link to the guide for blanking EGR valve on the 1.6TDCi engine,

Guide is also available in PDF format on the thread: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

hi lenny

cheers for that, yes I seen your guide and ive ordered the plate from your link

what I was meaning was can I put the plate before the cooling chamber on my 1.6tdci using the same method as described earlier on the 2.0 tdci or is putting the plate after the EGR the only option on a 1.6tdci?

trac

• Like 1

hi lenny

cheers for that, yes I seen your guide and ive ordered the plate from your link

what I was meaning was can I put the plate before the cooling chamber on my 1.6tdci using the same method as described earlier on the 2.0 tdci or is putting the plate after the EGR the only option on a 1.6tdci?

trac

Sadly its not possible to blank the 1.6TDCi EGR system before it passes through the cooler,

I too would like to be able to blank it before the cooler but there is no plate available to perform this.

Also if blanking the 1.6TDCi following my guide it wont trigger an EML like the 2.0TDCi does when blanked in the same location.

Sadly its not possible to blank the 1.6TDCi EGR system before it passes through the cooler,

I too would like to be able to blank it before the cooler but there is no plate available to perform this.

Also if blanking the 1.6TDCi following my guide it wont trigger an EML like the 2.0TDCi does when blanked in the same location.

awesome thanks lenny, that's all I wanted to check

trac

• Like 1

awesome thanks lenny, that's all I wanted to checktrac

no problem,

You may also like to view my induction filter upgrade guide its recommended after blanking the EGR: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

• Like 1

I fitted the blanking plate to my 2.0 a few months ago and just lived with the eml then after about a thousand miles its gone off and only makes a short appearance occasionaly. Now if I could only put that cruise control steering wheel back on and it sort itself out lol :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the links mate but unfortunately they don't work....I've previously followed the Haynes Manual upto the point of slackening the lower retaining bolt which I couldn't find at the time but now I have found out where it is so should now be do able.

Well first on the list for this year was cleaning out the EGR Valve.....failed at he last hurdle!

Managed to get as far as slackening the lower retaining bolt which is a bi*ch to get to and could not get the screw undone as its a torx screw and very difficult to get to. Would be easy if I could have got the battery and air intake pipes out but not doing that.

So plan B is to get some Wynn's EGR cleaner tomorrow which you spray into the air intake. Anyone had any experience with this stuff? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynns-diesel-egr-valve-cleaner-150ml

• Like 1

Ive not used Wynne's EGR cleaner but i have used the Engine Flush products and highly recommend Wynne's as a company that does what it says on the tin.

Why dont you blank off the EGR and be done with it or is this your plan after cleanimg?

Egr cleaner is good but the smell from the exhaust after is interesting. Better off blanking the thing lol

• Like 1

Yes I've used Wynn's before and think there products are great.

I've not had any issues to date with the EGR valve so just want to give it a clean through…think I'll give the cleaner a go

• Like 1