Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With 2005 Tdci 2.0 Or 2.2

aachil

hi guys ive just joined the forum I hope u can help me I have a few questions lol..

im going to view 2 separate Mondeos tomorrow both 2005 years both have around 85000 on the clock.

difference is one is a 2.0tdci ghia 130bhp I think or ps 0-62 in 9.8s

and the other is a 2.2tdci ghia

question is 1 engine more reliable then the other?

and second which will have more fuel economy will there be much difference mostly in town driving as im in London and what can I expect roughly mpg of both thank you guys

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You will hear many horror stories about injectors and flywheels but in my opinion they are very reliable cars and it wouldn't put me off another one. Let's be honest, you only ever hear about the bad things and it's not as bad as people make out. If the eat injectors every other week there wouldn't be as many mondeo taxis..

I drive the 2.2 st tdci, have done for over 3 years. Very reliable in every respect.

Diesels are not really for town driving, they prefer to munch miles on the motorway. I do most of my driving on motorways/dual carriageways and B roads, I'm getting on average about 47/48 mpg every week. Around the town though the 2.2 does drink the fuel.

Its not tge st version just 2.2 tdci. Do u think the 2.2 will eat alot in town driving?

What abiut the 2 litre

The st uses the exact same engine as the 2.2 ghia.

Definitely not a car for town driving unless you want to spend a fortune

The 2 litre should be better but still not a car meant for town driving

Ahh ok. My last car was a ford focus 2006 1.8 tdci was getting around 32mpg around town. But had an engine problem so had 2 get rid. I have 2 kids and another on the way so the focus is 2 small now so thats why i want a mondeo and with abit more power but still decent with diesel

It depends what you are used to - the 2.2 / 2.0 L Mondeo diesels are not ideal for short journeys or around town, but are probably better round town than some petrol-engined cars, especially if they have similar performance - most get about 35Mpg

There is not that big a difference in design between the 2.0L and 2.2, the 2.2 is basically a 2.0L with a longer stroke, the pistons, head valves, turbo are all basically the same (like for like, eg a euro4 with electronic actuator )

A stock 2.2 produces about 152Hp, and a stock 2.0L TDCI 130, in reality its close to 140Hp so, some have bought a 2.2 after owning a 2.0 and been surprised how close they were performance- wise, a remapped 2.0 can outperform a stock 2.2 and they have similar power- potential, the 2.2L has potential for more torque but is torque- restricted in 1st and 2nd anyway to protect the trans

there are owners of 2.2s with remaps, sports exhaust and FMICs that claim to get very good MPG on a run

You must put it into perspective, a Petrol 3.0L ST you would expect 20MPG round town and 30-35 on a run - same with a Mk4 2.5T the Petrol will gave more ultimate performance than the diesel, but does not have the balance between power/ MPG

Ok thanx for that. Well i just viewed the 2.2 tdci ghia it was scratched alot everywhere and the car took 4 times 2 start and when it did it cut cut out twice then was fine the guys excuse was its been left on the drive 4 a while. And also when the car was idlin there was a whooshing like belt sound. Car only had 85k on it

Ok thanx for that. Well i just viewed the 2.2 tdci ghia it was scratched alot everywhere and the car took 4 times 2 start and when it did it cut cut out twice then was fine the guys excuse was its been left on the drive 4 a while. And also when the car was idlin there was a whooshing like belt sound. Car only had 85k on it

All sounds a bit dubious. If the four-times-to-start was because it had a poor battery, then the damage might just be a replacement battery, and that might not be bad at all (partic if the warranty covers it). Or, it might be bad (and did you check that the car was cold when you got to it, or had the guy warmed the engine up a bit first - if he had, don't under any circumstances consider it, because he knew there was a problem and tried to deceive you about it and the only thing that you know for sure is that you are buying the car from someone you can't trust).

Cutting out twice shouldn't happen, even if it had been stood for a while. The whooshing sound could be cheap (a burst pipe, say) or moderately expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless you get something like a warranty (check the small print!) or it is subject to an independent inspection at the seller's expense (unlikely), and it has a service history.

BTW, is all of your driving in London, or do you do a few longer journeys? London not only has 'urban' conditions, but it is all too frequently stop-start. Without a bit of chance to stretch its legs occasionally, any car is likely to be more problematic. You could change the oil more often, and that might help somewhat. Or, maybe the Italian tune up, occasionally.

The 2 litre is quite a gutsy engine; not the fastest thing ever, but, because it has a lot of torque, I would expect it to be fine for most people around town. Of course, the 2.2 has even more torque. But, I doubt that you feel much advantage except in overtaking on the open road, something you'll not do that much of in speed camera bespattered and jam infested London.

haha yea true thanx for that mate appreciated yea its a shame I really liked he 2.2 but I just didn't trust it apparently it had been stood for a while but still I cant buy a car then start paying out for it.

I do some odd out of London journeys motorway journeys so yea.

Out of interest, I just had a quick look at Autotrader, and while these cars can be quite cheap, the higher spec cars are a bit rare at the cheaper end of the market.

A couple of Ghias, but mostly they are Zetecs and lower. Although, I did see a 2.2 155 Ghia X and a Titanium under £ 3000, which sound like good value cars, if everything checks out. For me, the Zetec is probably the lowest trim spec that I'd consider, but, at this age, you don't necessarily pay a lot more for a higher spec car, it just makes the search rather harder, because the choice is not as extensive as for the lower trim levels.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 115 bhp cars - not from reliability, just that, for me, that wouldn't be enough power, but YMMV, etc, etc, and round London maybe you wouldn't feel that much difference....I'd still want the higher hp rating, though. And, one of the problems with cars of this age is that they've had plenty of opportunity to be badly maintained. Any sign of a full service history would be very welcome, but expecting that might be a bit much, at this age, but some cars will be better than others.

I'm sure that there are bargains out there amongst these cars, but there is also the potential to buy a bit of a pug if you aren't careful. (So, be careful.)

cheers guys thanks for that yea im gona try to at least find 1 with some decent service history and I defo will not be going for a 115bhp version.

and tbh the lowest spec I would be looking at would be a zetec anything less and the car just looks a bit plain lol

and another reason aswell is do these cars usually come with the isofix for the children?

With the 115PS version (there is no 115Hp version, its 113Hp) a few minor, inexpensive mods and its 160+ Hp (more than the 152Hp of the ST-TDCI)

So i would not worry about whether its 115PS or 130 - look at the condition of the car

People get obsessed by trim levels - even the most basic LX (or equivelant) is very comfortable, its the same car underneath and the Ghia is not engineered any better than the LX, and do you need 6 or 10 motors in your seat? - No, it just wastes electrical power and adds weight - leather seats are cold in the winter (or you waste even more power on heating them) and hot and sticky in the summer

Extra junk does not make the car better, the extra weight makes the car worse - worse performance, worse economy

Personally I would rather see the money spent on quality engineering, not junk/ gimmicks - ever been in a Porsche - costs ££££££s but no junk - just what you need, and the money spent on quality engineering - not like a Cadillac

Condition - i would sooner have a good, well looked after LX than a thrashed/ neglected dog of a Ghia

Lol point taken true tho. Tbh ive never done any mods or would even try 2 scared lol

Lol point taken true tho. Tbh ive never done any mods or would even try 2 scared lol

Well - a remap is not really a mod, nothing phisical is actually changed - consider it "optomising" rather than a modification - of doing what Ford really wanted to do with the car in the 1st place, but couldent due to rubbish fuel sold in some countries, erocrats, red tape ect

Here is the bluefin remap (optimisation :lol: ) claimed 164Hp on the 2L TDCI130 - more than the 2.2 (152Hp)

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/mondeotdci130bhp-d.pdf

And it can be fitted without opening the bonnet!

Scared of mods? - you are on the wrong forum! :lol: (everything gets modded here- you name it)

haha yea tell me about it..

ok ive just seen an add for a 2005 st tdci 2.2 with 90k on the clock full service history mint condition silver colour

is it a reliable engine/car?

haha yea tell me about it..

ok ive just seen an add for a 2005 st tdci 2.2 with 90k on the clock full service history mint condition silver colour

is it a reliable engine/car?

I don't have any complaints to make about mine. If everything works.. Go for it.

What mileage is urs? Ive put the deposit on the st tdci metallic silver 90k full service only thing is all the alloys need refurbing and the back bumper is just slightly hanging down barely noticable tho. Ive been told apparently the st tdci is very unreliable which tbh i dnt belive i sold a !Removed! renault 2 get a more reliable car lol. Only thing im stressing about is the dual mass flywheel.. Whats the chance its already been done?