Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil question

mkaminski100

I have recently bought a Ford Focus 1.8 TDDI. It runs ok (just changed clutch) but I have also found that the last oil change was done by KwikFit. I know that they frequently use cheap and out of spec oil and even worse it’s overfilled.

I went to Ford and was quoted ca £30 for a 5l can. I assume its a full synthetic 5W-30 Formula F (SJ/CL spec). I can get a 5W30 full synthetic SL/CF from Vauxhall for less than £20 with my trade discount but I’m not sure if this will meet the specs. SJ/CF is much better oil but as far as I remember, Formula E (SL/CF) was used in early Focuses thus same oil should be used. Is there any requirement to change oil and use this high spec one? Can you please advice on this?

Second question is regarding manual gearbox oil. I was told that a full synthetic 75W90 has to be used while local autofactors informed that Ford have downgraded oil to semi. I think that oil was changed from burgundy to yellow but I don’t know if it went from full to semi synthetic. I would also appreciate your help.

• 1 year later...

I have recently bought a Ford Focus 1.8 TDDI. It runs ok (just changed clutch) but I have also found that the last oil change was done by KwikFit. I know that they frequently use cheap and out of spec oil and even worse it’s overfilled.

I went to Ford and was quoted ca £30 for a 5l can. I assume its a full synthetic 5W-30 Formula F (SJ/CL spec). I can get a 5W30 full synthetic SL/CF from Vauxhall for less than £20 with my trade discount but I’m not sure if this will meet the specs. SJ/CF is much better oil but as far as I remember, Formula E (SL/CF) was used in early Focuses thus same oil should be used. Is there any requirement to change oil and use this high spec one? Can you please advice on this?

Second question is regarding manual gearbox oil. I was told that a full synthetic 75W90 has to be used while local autofactors informed that Ford have downgraded oil to semi. I think that oil was changed from burgundy to yellow but I don’t know if it went from full to semi synthetic. I would also appreciate your help.

I have a Sept' 08 Fiesta Climate 1.25 5dr, and have had baulky gears, very bad on cold mornings, so I had the correct oil fitted (Castrol SMX-S 75W85 GL3/4 is the current spec.)

The manual pump/hose method via the reverse switch hole, got 2.44 litres out, and it was foul-smelling black stuff, just like the smell of new MOTUL 75W90 Technosynthese, which is green, and only semi-synthetic, and GL4/5.

GL5 is NOT advised for the IB5 box, as it is just too slippy to allow the synchro-cones to work properly, even if some GL5 oils state they are fully compatible with "yellow metal",-- that just means it doesn't cause corrosion of these yellow metals. I recall owning cars that needed straight SAE 90 oil in the gearbox, even listing Castrol GTX as OK. (REF FIAT 127/STRADA)

The Castrol SMX-S has been immediately noticed as an improvement all-round, and the colour is the expected amber. It has a min. pour-point of -65 deg C., but the FRENCH Motul figure is -40 DEG C, so the Castrol is more liquid at very low temperatures.

There is a BIG money saving for FORD.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club