Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Fault

54TDCi

Hi guys !

What causes this to come on ?

1.6tdci 2005

Only happens first thing in morning when car is off overnight, if I jump in and start straight away I get this warning, but if I leave the ignition on for 2-3 mins its fine.

If I jump in start straignt away and I drive away the engine system fault comes on and the engine cuts out and it takes time to start again

Also at first thing in the morning idle is a bit lumpy but is better after a while

Any thaughts ? Cheers !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

HI Brian,

The possibilities are endless! It sounds like its a glow plug issue, they arent heating the chamber properly so it runs lumpy, but if you let it idle, then it gradually warms up before you use it.

I would start by checking the error codes on the trip computer

Hi there !

I checked the error codes on dash and there are none.

Diagnostic shows nothing also

It is quite lumpy and the engine cuts out when trying to drive off.

But if I go back to the car again and jump in and go its perfect becuase the engine is already warm

Error codes (or lack thereof) doesnt surprise me. It does sound like its either glow plugs need replacing or possibly the relay.

If I recall, there was either a TSB or an advisory issued by Ford, for the replacement of glow plug relay / harness, due to the risk of salt and water getting into these and corroding them.

How competent are you with a spanner? if you are extremely its worth trying to remove the plugs, but they are tight, a pain in the backside and if done wrong, can break the plug and leave it in the socket, then your in trouble. if you arent comfortable, I would say leave it to a garage to do. If you check the plugs and they behave well then it could be the harness, likewise, if they dont glow very well at all (or say its 1 in 4 that works OK) then its likely to be replacement plugs.

Thanks for that.

I wouldnt chance it myself to be honest but I'll pass it on to the mechanics and let them have a go. Thankfully doesnt seem majorly serious to the engine !

Thanks again

Nah it just makes it lumpy, but its fine once it warms up, but yeah hopefully the mechanic sorts it easy enough.

I had similar problems, mine was glow plugs. It did throw a code though - have you tried reading the codes with a code-reader when the error actually comes on? Mine showed nothing on the dash even when the fault was present and the code-reader showed them.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/55434-16-tdci-p0380-glow-plugheater-circuit-a/

4 new plugs for me and she's sorted.

As has been said though, without codes it really is a shot in the dark. Speaking of which, the plugs are apparently a nightmare to get to on the 1.6 - nothing like the 1.8.

The instrument cluster only picks up a high level of codes, if there is a battery fault, or an instrument cluster fault, these will trigger the error code to be shown on the computer, but little more than this will appear here.

In my signature, there is a writeup I did on how to go about buying an code reader, have a read through and see if any of it is any use to you :)

I have a basic obd2 bluetooth code reader but when this fault occurs it does not put the engine light on. Only the dash display comes on.

I'll get the lads to put 4 new plugs in it anyway and hopefully it'll sus itself out !

Any warning lights should register a code, hopefully the plug change will help

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

If you have a multimeter you could check resistance across the glow plugs to check if they have failed. From memory the focus will only put a warning light on when all four plugs are down or the relay has failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Heres a good one for you lads I just discovered.

You know the way these engines and fuel rely only on vacuum ? E.g you park facing uphill with very low fuel it won't start or will briefly then cut out.

Could this be the cause ?

Just this happened again today (mechanic is on holiday) and it drove for a minute then died with the message and would not start again. ... I used easy start in the air intake and then it started fine.

What do you think ?

Easy start is like poison to cars, so dont rely on it too much! but, yes, it could be a symptom.

the best thing to do is to make sure you have sufficient intake. Start the engine, feel around for a leak on the turbo intercooler pipe and hoses (see my signature for a guide based on the CMAX which isnt overly different).

If that doesnt work, find the inlet manifold and check for leaks whistles or sucking noises.

I didnt know easy start was bad for cars !

There are definitly no leaks or noises strange in the engine bay... mechanics had checked this already when fitting engine

when you say very low fuel? as i live on a hill, even with 42 miles left in the tank it has not difficulty starting.... i would suggest maybe a air leakage some where, maybe in the fuel system..... it only needs be a pin hole....

what message did it die saying lol?

Yeah, and given we recently saw on the forums a slight crack in an inlet manifold caused overfuelling and a failed MOT, its still a possibility. Just because it wasnt cracked at the time of the installation doesnt mean its not the case now.

You say they replaced the engine? did they swap the GEM, ECU and wiring as well? I wonder if what you have here is more an issue with the config of the car not fully right for that engine and injector sequence rather than some leak?

It was just the engine block with head and injectors , glow plugs that were changed but thats actually a very good thought that !

Just to shed some further light on the situation though.

This morning I jumped into my car (full of fuel and facing downhill) I got in and started it straight away (didn't wait for anything) and drove off straight away and it's fine !

I do have a bad habit of lettinf the fuel run low and now its full the problem isn't occuring.. I'm going to monitor this closely ... I sincerely hope its not because we changed the engine and theres a configuration issue.

definately worth a chance sitting a new fuel filter in there!

ditto above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

New fuel filter done about 3000 kiles ago... will check for thightness !

Will also be checking the other pipes suggested above closely !

Is it possible to get a faulty fuel filter ?

absolutely, or if the filter is installed the wrong way that can also cause the issue, likewise if the seals are not replaced or any good, again this can be the same issue.

Like anything in the world, anything that is mass produced is bound to have a bad small batch - its inevitable! my Focus a few years back was the devil car incarnate, causing me nothing but grief, money, more grief, more money, and sleepless nights, yet others in the same bracket would have been fine. As with electronics as well, they all have differences and can all have a bad few, so I wouldnt be surprised if you have a similar issue with the fuel filter.

Even putting a brand new fuel filter in, if you run the fuel tank too low, it will dredge the sludge and cack out the fuel tank, drag it to the fuel filter and you might as well not have even bothered changing the filter, because within 100 miles or so of replacing it, its already suffered 12-24 thousand miles of abuse.

Very good point there

I have let it run low a few times while driving

I'll change the filter again just to be sure to be sure and also I'll make sure its bled properly... so that it doesnt get air locked or the likes.

I'll also keep the fuel level over 1/4 min aswell as not to risk sucking air or sludge.

I'll do this and also check again for air leaks on the manifolds etc.

Thanks for all the help so far !

No problem Brian!

One thing I will say - I have a CMAX fuel filter sat in my house doing nothing. If you go to eurocarparts website, pop your number plate in and navigate to the fuel filters, then choose the crossland one - I will double check later but I have a spare one (I believe the part number is 503590158 from them) if your fuel filter does in fact match that model number, give me a shout, and I will sell it on to you for around a tenner or so. Better someone gets use out of it!

On the mobile at the moment but when I get on the laptop later I'll do that

Thanks a mil for the offer !

No worries!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club