Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden Increase In Revs - Idle @ 3.5K!!

Tacklebury

Hello everyone.

On my drive into work today I managed to break the Mondeo!

I noticed it was accelerating when I was off the gas, almost like the choke was on although the engine was up to temp. I pressed the clutch in and the revs suddenly jumped to around the 3.5k mark! Lifting the clutch then lowered but a noticeable pull was apparent.

As I pulled up to the security gates at work the idle remained very high, so high I turned off the ignition for a second and on starting the revs jumped to around the 2.5k mark for tick over. Obviously something's knackered.

I can hear a loud whistle or maybe its induction on idle, the revs remain way over the 1 k id expect for tick over.

Any ideas what's broke? I suspected the PCV (ICV, can't remember the name) has been going, do you think its totally let go and is now separated?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Tack

How old is the mondeo mate? Cos I had the same problem on my fiesta, and people kept saying it was the idle control valve. Turned out to be my brake servo pulling through air! To check it, carefully pull the vacuum hose from the servo and block it with a finger or whatever and see if the revs settle down? Saves you putting a icv on it straight away?

Ed

Hi, it's a 2006 2.0l petrol.

I'm just about to have a look and see if anything is obvious!

Okay mate, let me know! Try and check that hose, it's one more thing to tick off the list!

Ed

So I had a look last night and there is no obvious leaks that are visible.

It's clear there is a leak and it seems to originate from the front under the manifold.

My neighbour is a mechanic and has kindly taken it into work to have a look at.

The good thing is she'll now get a full service, oil, filters and plugs for mates rates. Just hope the main issue isn't expensive!

Still, it's not like I'm moving this month or have a trip to Le Mans to finance... Anyone got a spare £10k!!!

Did you find out what this was?

Mine has been over-revving for about a week or so.

Goes up to 2000-2500rpm on start up then settles down but the rev counter judders about a bit. I can hear an air-leak under the bonnet but my knowledge ain't great, so I've no idea what or where to look at.

Yes I did. It's being fixed as I type.

My neighbour took it in and has removed the inlet manifold today. He has confirmed the PCV pipe is split and has ordered the part.

Hopefully getting the car back today, I have asked for the pipe so I can take some pics and upload them for reference.

Reckon that is what I have got wrong with mine. Have read it's a bit of a pig of a job though as the whole manifold needs taking out etc...

In order to try and make this simple for everyone, here are the 'after photos'.

I've suffered rouge idle and a crazy increase in revs when on the move with clutch pressed down. The offending pipe has been replaced.

The PCV part is £28 from ford, sadly the inlet manifold needs to be removed to fix it. This also includes power steering pipes and a few others so not a massive job but you need the tools to do it. Thankfully my neighbour and friend charged me £50 for the labour, I'm very thnakful to Adrian .

I also took the opportunity to have a full service at the same time. My 2006 2.0 petrol was only £1700 due to no service history, last oil change showing at 26k and she now has 94k on the clock! Needless to say the oil was like treacle but it's had filters and plugs so runs much better.

Only other issue was one of the ignition leads wouldn't come off. Adrian tried but the rubber split (see pics) so I will grab a new set tomorrow to be fitted next week.

All in all, £210 for PCV pipe and a full service so I'm happy. I was paying £600 a month of a BMW previous so as far as I'm concerned I'm quids in!! Adrian reported all pads are 50% worn and I got the chance to have a look under the car. Looks pretty good considering the age and it's a ford!!!

I'm happy, now just need to sort the random alarm activations..... See new thread from me!!!

post-52989-0-45070500-1401835534_thumb.j

post-52989-0-78986700-1401836141_thumb.j

Crikey such a smnall split and such a massive headache.

I have to say £50 for the labour all in is a fantastic mates rates! I recon you would have been looking at the best part of £400 if you took it to Ford.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club