Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Query And Advice Please

symmn

Hi All,

Looking for some advice:

6 months ago red engine light came on, took it to local garage who diagnosed DPF needed to be replaced. Had this done.

Fast forward to last Monday and orange warning light came on. Took it to
the garage Wednesday morning who spent a couple of hours with it and he
phoned me up to say that there maybe a blockage in dpf and a good run
at 60-70 mph for 50+ miles should clear it. He took off the orange
warning light and I thought that I would go and see my Mum who lives 200
miles up the M1. Got up today to drive back and orange warning light is
back on.

At the moment there is no issues with power/acceleration or anything that appears to be abnormal whilst driving.

Anyone got any suggestions? When I spoke to the garage he said that it
may need to go to Ford to do something to the DPF if the drive didn't
work - obviously when I got the DPF replacement it came with a years
warranty so not sure what to do.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

does it have any eloys fluid in

To be honest I don't know! Should this have been put in when the dpf was replaced? Would I be able to check this myself?

Thanks

Simon

the tank should be by the rear axle some where..... you can visually check.....

Thanks - will have a good look tomorrow after work.

I would have assumed the garage should have topped this up when replacing dpf and is likely what they were referring to when taking it to Fords - to me then they should top it up otherwise the dpf will go again within the warranty period.

Do you only do short journeys in the vehicle? The dpf fault could be caused by many things however the dpf will not be at fault. What else was replaced when dpf was changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I do only short journeys now - about every 6 weeks I do a 400 mile round trip.

When the dpf was replaced nothing else was.

Thanks

Simon

It maybe an issue with a pressure sensor on the dpf. All the dpf does is collect soot in the can it's the sensors around it that cause it issues. See if u can get the vehicle back on a diagnostic machine before the dpf blocks again cos I highly suspect the dpf will be classed as out of warranty if it blocks this quickly again

Makes sense! I will get it back there on Tuesday! Only doing at most 25 miles tomorrow in it.

If you take it to ford I will guarantee you they will tell you the dpf is poor quality and to but one of there's where they will secretly chuck in the faulty sensor. So be careful on that front too.

• Like 1

Cheers for that! Wil be taking it to my local garage that originally replaced the dpf first and see what they say.

Ok let me know how u get on and what they say. I'm in the exhaust and car parts trade so I would be interested in how it goes

Will update this thread on Tuesday evening

Just got off the phone to my local garage who have looked at it and they say it needs a dpf regeneration and that has to be done a Ford.

No idea if this is correct or what this means at all.

Sounds to me like it is blocking already. It maybe worth ringing around a couple of other garages to see if they can do a forced regeneration for you. Also ask them to check the sensors I think they maybe the root of the problem

Ok I will give a few garages a call!

Thanks for your help and will post further updates!

Just an update - it is booked in at Ford tomorrow however, driving back this evening and the warning light is now off so any suggestions? Should I still take it in or is it pointless with no light on?

Thanks Simon

Even with the light off the ecu with have still stored the fault code. The light going off could indicate an intermittent fault with the sensor rather than a permenant one. Might be worth getting it checked anyway

do you actually drive the car hard enough and long enough for the car to regenerate it'self?

When you say hard enough and long enough what do you mean?

My current daily journeys can range from 10-15 minutes per journey and the odd 20-30 minute journeys during the course of the week. Also, am a teacher so have the usual school holidays which results in doing journeys of about 150-200 miles per journey.

Sorry not sure what you mean by hard enough? I don't idle around if thats what you mean.

Thanks Simon

do you put your foot down.... with a dpf at least once a week its advised you give it a thrash down a local dual carriageway ie 50 or above in fourth for a good few miles, to get the exhaust hot enough to burn all the crud......

Ah right! I do that most weeks once a week. Maybe I better start doing that twice a week and then start to look for a petrol focus

or you could just get the guts taken out of the dpf, and then get the software removed of your ecu... cost of around 400 quid, but never no more problems

• Like 1

We see a lot of problems with non genuine DPF filters, we always advise only fitting genuine filters as some of the aftermarket filters available online are utter crap. If you have a diagnostic scanner or have a friend with one you can quickly check the sensors on live data and confirm if they are working correctly. In fact the 1.6 TDCI only has 2 sensors. 1 differential pressure sensor and one temp sensor. With ignition on and engine not running the differential pressure sensor should be reading around 0 mbar. The temp sensor value should increase as you rev the engine.

Let me know if you require any more help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club