Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remap - Superchips/bluefin

Pete80

Ok Ive found a superchips agent thats close by thats willing to do a deal on remaps on 2 cars, my father wants a map straight on his car but Im toying with getting the bluefin, is it worth the extra money getting it as it appears to be a one hit wonder and cannot load any other maps onto it if I change the car.

Any advice will be welcome

Pete

The Bluefin can load to other cars.

Superchips will sell you a map for a different vehicle on request.

Ah that's good news, I was told you can use the bluefin as a code reader too, is this true

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Think its an easy decision, cheers stoney

• 2 weeks later...

I was told it's hard to spot but to be honest I'm not sure, I don't have a warranty with my car so it's not an issue

Always assume that the answer is yes.

Most modern ECU's have an unmodifiable write only bit that will change. in essence, everytime you map the ECU, it adds one to the counter, its an add only and cannot be wiped, reset, or removed. If you go in and it shows 2 remaps, and they see nothing was done by them under warranty then you can have your warranty revoked.

I would highly recommend that you take it into consideration, I cannot say 110% that your car has this on the ECU, but as most do, you could fall foul of it.

Always assume that the answer is yes.

Most modern ECU's have an unmodifiable write only bit that will change. in essence, everytime you map the ECU, it adds one to the counter, its an add only and cannot be wiped, reset, or removed. If you go in and it shows 2 remaps, and they see nothing was done by them under warranty then you can have your warranty revoked.

I would highly recommend that you take it into consideration, I cannot say 110% that your car has this on the ECU, but as most do, you could fall foul of it.

Agreed, but not all cars/ engines have this and the ones that don't a Bluefin is untraceable once it is removed,

One advantage of a tuning box is it can be untraceable on any car (even one with a "nanny"/ "big brother" ECU) once removed

It is the owners/ motorists choice to void the manufacturers/ dealers warrantee and fit a remap if they choose to,(some may happily do this) insurance should bo notified, though

Can any one give me advice on wheel spacers for my fiesta st-2 would 10mm be noticeable and would the standard nuts still be safe to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Not sure mate, try posting in wheels an tyres will most likely get someone who knows their stuff on there

Thanks mate couldn't have a bluefin remap phoned insurance and they won't allow engine mods that increase power there is As stage two soon as well making my fiesta st-2 around 240bhp gutted

That's a shame mate, sounds like you have some good plans for it anyway

If they do find then your insurance is void, I personally wouldn't take the risk, a friend of mine works in insurance and has told me that some inspectors come out and try to find ways of not paying out

I dunno only had it 3 weeks and want more power lol will leave it for now styling mods first, then change insurer next year them get power notched up abit [a lot ;)]

I've been looking at "performance boxes" that plug inline with the common rail pressure sensor (yes, I have a diesel!). They range from £70 to £400 and yet all seem to boast the same stats as each other and even the same as a the remap figures but there is no permanent change to the standard car.

But anything too good to be true sounds wrong to me! Comments?

Hi Rob,

Basically these are all different ranges, and the figures quoted are generic.

The lower end £70 ones for example, are the likes of DTUK's first generation tuning boxes, so they are old tech now, but can quote some good figures. These go up through the ranks to the likes of their £400 latest and greatest kinda quad core 1gb ram sorta CPU's that calculate fuel and abuse it.

Most boxes are generic, and you can only push a car so much further forward by just conning it, its like putting a picture of a carrot on a stick and dangling it, soon enough the donkeys gunna kick you because he knows its not real :p

To be honest, the units costing around the £80 mark are perfectly acceptable and can give some good improvements in performance, however, you then have to weight the fact you have to pay over £100 to then insure the car with it. The £400 market are basically competing with the price ranks of a true tuning session and remap, but a box that tricks the car, is never going to be as good as the real deal (for some reason I am thinking of the peugeout elephant advert :p, or the "sounds like a golf" advert :p)

I was contemplating getting a tuning box, and would quite happily satisfy for the likes of the DTUK eBay shop, they sell first and second gents (or they did when I looked) but at around £70 and £120, which compared to superchips or a true remap is a fraction of the cost to give you a good amount of gain - but again it all depends on the car. If its never heard the word service before, you would end up needing to invest to get it at top health before the box makes it feel better, but if its well looked after you should get a good improvement for that investment.

I was privvy to studying these things in my time when I was on the Kia forums, and DTUK was one of the best for the Kia engines, and I have heard good things with them elsewhere, so they are a good place to start and consider. All I would say is stay away from the unknown names, these people have little experience and will probably be the ones to kill your car.

Thanks again James, all good advice. I'm clearly getting older (and poorer) because I was actually just as interested in the improved MPG they quote. More power would be nice too, of course! But I cant see how a piggy backing "performance box" solution could come close to a proper remap (and yes, you're right, they're all just guide figures anyway!).

That said I have a colleague who went for the full "stage X" dyno'd remap and got stung by cowboys who did no better job than a box would have (this is his opinion admittedly!!!).

I think I've undermined my own argument because saving a tank of fuel over a year would take a long time to pay back on a remap!

exactly. The way tuning boxes work is to intercept the signal and with a microprocessor figuring it out - tells the ECU that something else has happened, i.e. it takes a low signal and makes it high - so the ECU thinks it needs to add more fuel to get where you need to be, those overfuelling to get there. and when you settle to rest, it then tells the car that its working harder than it actually is, so it reduces fuel input but still maintains the behaviour.

Its the swing and roundabout theosis of these two points that means your car will save on fuel.

Also you can get tuning boxes either way - those that throw fuel in there to get more power, and likewise those that pull back on the fuel input to get the same output, focusing on improving the MPG. Both offer an increase in performance and MPG but at different levels. You can get boxes I believe such as DTUK, where you have a rotating dial, one end is all power - no MPG and the other is all MPG no power, and you just find the right setting for you and leave it there.

IMHO they are worth a try on a diesel and most the time you wont be disappointed. Some also offer a guarantee, buy the part, run it on your car, and if you swap cars and want it replacing, they will swap the mapping and connectors on the box and send it back to you for a small fee, rather than buying the whole box again.

My uncle has a tuning box on his jag diesel and it's made monumental changes to the performance it was a rocket before but now the power is untrue, I personally go for remaps as a personal choice and have never been unsatisfied yet 'fingers crossed'

IMO recouping the cost of a remap or box is not the main factor.

It's about making your daily driver come alive and release it's potential.

I'd rather have a big smile on my face every time I take my car out rather than worry about making the money back.

It's all about the fun.

got to agree with you there Clive, if I bought a box, then recouping the cost would be a bonus, but putting my foot on the throttle and waving "bye bye v#####ll' is the best part of it!

Oh aye!

That's worth the cost alone. :)