Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk 2.5 Mot Headlight Beam Pattern Failure

Capt Black

I am sure this has been done already but I cannot seem to find a solution using the search on this forum.

I have just taken my Mk.2.5 2010 focus Titanium for an MOT and it failed for both Headlight beams having the following error:

Front Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect

I am not sure how I am to fix this. I have tried other bulbs but it did not work.

At my wits end. Please help o ford gurus!

these auto leveling lights?

I just looked up my reg on FordEtis and it has:

• With Auto Headlamps
  • With Halogen Headlamp
  • With Automatic Headlamp Control

They need manually adjusting. All headlights have manual adjustment on the headlight unit. If u take it to a garage that has headlight beam adjustment tools they will be able to adjust it to the correct level. Will improve your driving too.

Had it in a Halfords Garage today, the mechanics showed me the Manual Adjustment points for Up/Down, Left/right. These will only move the beam not focus them. My problem is that the headlights make no straight line to focus the beam so that it can be guaged on the MOT machine.

The last comment they said was that they cannot even offer to fix it for me bar replacing the headlight units (£188 EACH) and that they have not seen this before.

the whole thing with auto light they constantly adjust themselves to suit road, weight etc.... could have a problem with leveling sensors, wich you need to go to ford.... but try what luke say's above first.... doubt that will work as they auto adjust when turned on.... worth a try tho

Disheartening! I am such the home mechanic when dealing with simple things but I guess this is not simple. I have only had the car two years and I try to avoid the dealership like the plague!

Thanks for the advice guys.

unsure if this will work, but reverse the car up on the ramps so nose is pointing to the floor, the more the better.... disconnect the battery for about 2 hrs... re level the car and reconnect the battery... this is just to try and fool the system to see if it will find its new level....

So I just spoke to my mate who works for Dagenham Motors and he thinks its moisture in the housing and it is known in the Ford dealers' world. Apparently a replacement is in order and there is no home mechanic solution so looks like a trip to the dealers in the morning!

This sounds really strange. The only thing that can cause this without a broken reflector would be the bulb not sitting in the holder correctly. They are a bit of a pain on these to fit correctly sometimes. I have never heard of a 4 year old Ford needing new headlights before.

Checked the bulbs. They are only a few months old. They are in the right way and the clips seem ok as well.

Is the lens fogged at all? I had the CMAX headlights where a strong advisory on the same thing. the lenses were foggy and would have needed polishing to pass the test.

No fogging on the lenses. Not even the ford folks found what was the problem when I took it there today at first glance.

Could be the old fashioned trick of them saying there is something wrong with your car just to get money to fix it or a retest.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club