Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Speed Camera's Coming To Town

jeebowhite

Not Sure how many of you out there are aware of the governments new toy in its arsenal. its called the HADECS 3. It replaced the existing HADECS systems, and is a combination of a GATSO and a SPECS camera formation. Basically the speed camera is mounted up on a pole on the side of the motorway, and watches all lanes at the same time (hence the SPECS aspect) now, at the same time, unlike SPECS, it monitors just the individual section (like GATSO).

At this time its used solely to monitor the variable speed limits on the variable speed sections of motirways (M25, M1, M6 etc). But as they only cost a fraction of the cost of a normal motorway system (one camera, in comparison to say 5 or 6) then they could start popping up more often.the biggest argu

ment that drivers will have is that they are stealth grey in colour and not bright yellow as we are more familiar with. They operate on a dual radar functionality, and also have communications systems in place so that as soon as the limit changes, the camera is almost instantaneously updated with these details and live with the new speed limits.

HADECS3.jpg

More Information: http://www.redflex.com/index.php/en/media-centre-rts/redflex-in-the-media/328-home-office-approval-for-redflex-hadecs-cameras

The best place for those cameras would be to fill all the potholes with :wacko:

• Like 6

So will these replace the normal speed cameras on "managed" motorways? We just got this on the M62 but the cameras are only on a few of the gantry's and its easy to see thema s you approach so you can check your speed. These look like they might be harder to spot. They just don't play fair do they!

Now they have HOTA they will roll out everywhere.

They will be backed by automatic Motorway signs advising speed changes, though they will be beggars to spot as they are not required to be high visibility like GATSO or SPECS.

Thats crazy - great read though, very interested in the laws that surround these types of cameras and how many people will try to appeal against fines?

I've not looked yet, but assume that there are sections on the forum for such issues (appealing fines, speeding etc etc?)

Any official news as to when these will be 'in full effect' ?

Dan

So they are only for motorways? And are they only grey on motorways?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

HADECS3 is licenced only for motorway use and only where variable speed limits apply so must be sited in conjunction with variable speed signs on fixed gantries.

Some systems are already in position but until the HOTA was signed they were purely positioned to gain data to allow for traffic flow assessments and for calibration/testing.

I am not sure when they will be operated for compliance purposes.

Unfortunately traffic law is not a speciality of mine (I just do bitey hairy things :d)

• Like 1

I just do bitey hairy things :D

Please tell me that forms part of your job title.

Indeed.

I'm a Dog handler.

• Like 1

nah, hes a great fan of tarantula's aren't you Clive? :p

So far they are only licensed as Clive said for motorways with variable speeds, however, I am sure that as the need takes them, the government will then get these things licensed for use beyond that, whereby the camera's will be placed along the motorway at other points. All it needs is the precursor of the hardware to tell it what the speed is.

Either that, or they will bring out a new HADECS solution which will replace the likes of GATSO altogether.

Bearing in mind though that in most instances, the only places there are camera's on motorways is on variable speed limit area's, I really dont see it being too much of an issue, unless the local authorities want to get really cheeky and start plotting a new system all over the motorway network (and really take the fun out of it) I just dont see it being any worse. Where I travel via the M20 regularly, there is always a speed limit on the other flow of traffic, everyday, I can guarantee that I can plod past there and be blinded by the flash of the other so and so's who just got made £60 lighter and 3 points heavier... All this is doing is to remove the flash and the gantry danglers and make it more stealthy and sleek.

Wont be long I am sure until we have pinhole speed camera's everywhere! either that or new devices snook onto our cars when our backs are turned with a new GPS tracker rigged up to big brothers network...

I'm glad the South West doesn't have motorways south of Exeter.

• Like 1

I'm glad Scotland doesn't have motorways north of Perth! Only drive on them very occasionally :-)

Do speed cameras not have to be visible or have a sign up when you are in the vicinity of them?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Not necessarily visible but there will be signs.

Well if there's signs and you get caught you deserve it. Lol. Imo

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

But they put up signs so they can use mobile vans which aren't always there.

At least on the M62 in West Yorkshire there is no chance of speeding, unless you get out your car and run!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

The speed camera sign is merely a sign to indicate that traffic camera's are in operation in the area, mobile or static it doesnt matter, but the sign just means traffic enforcement in the area. This can range from anything from speed camera's through to the likes of seat belt camera's

This new system is up & runing on the M62 in West Yorkshire now, variable speed limits with these HADECS3 cameras on the back of the gantrys.

They tend to hang seperate to the gantry, they might still have the old GATSO camera's sat on the gantry,m but these are seperate, tend to be mounted off to the side off the gantry or on the roadside on its own pole?

This new system is up & runing on the M62 in West Yorkshire now, variable speed limits with these HADECS3 cameras on the back of the gantrys.

They are gatso cameras on the 62 you can clearly see them on the gantry behind the screens displaying the speed

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I will just have to keep my Snooper updated.

My mistake!

Just get front parking sensors fitted! The radar emitted from them blocks the radar guns used by the police etc it literally bounces their radar back at them lol

Just get front parking sensors fitted! The radar emitted from them blocks the radar guns used by the police etc it literally bounces their radar back at them lol

Not quite :d

The frequencies are very different.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club