Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Mondeo Tdci 140 Titanium

Derek Wallace

Hello,

I'm new to Mondeo's and new to the forum.

It's only done 37,500 miles and I really love the car, but......one thing's spoiling it for me. The gearbox just isn't a smooth as it should be and sometimes I have to use more force than I'd like to or expect to when changing down to second from around 20 - 25 mph.

On the move it seems fine, but at lower speeds and town driving, the gear changes feel springy, a bit notchy and just not right.

I bought the car from a dealer and there's about 1.5 months warranty left.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Derek

I am wondering if this is a feature, I find myself struggling to kick the car into first fear sometimes, I most the time need to drop it back to neutral then give it a push, same for second, but less so!

First thing to check is that the clutch is fully disengaging when you press the pedal. If the 'bite point' is too low, you may not be pushing the pedal far enough to disengage, for example.

Then, assuming that the clutch is fine and you are pushing it far enough to disengage, I suspect that an oil change would help. It is a bit early in the car's life to think of this (normally, you'd be thinking of more like 100k miles, but who knows how the car has been treated under the previous ownership). Possibly, the remote linkage (cables) might be problematic, needing either lubrication or adjustment (is there an adjustment, or a cable change the only thing that is possible?).

The oil is the bit that you'll have difficulty getting from the warranty. Normally, the dealer will say:

• They are all like that
  • Nothing we can do
  • You are being too fussy with such an old car (in spite of the fact that they probably told you, correctly, that they were good for 100s of thousands when they we are selling it)
  • Nothing to do with us
  • etc, etc

Or, whatever, from the usual dealer book of excuses.

You are probably best saying that the gearchange is being obstructive, rather than giving them any idea of what the solution might be, because that way they'll be relieved if they don't have to change the gearbox.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club