Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire

nazsky786

I have a this code with the engine malfunction light flashing.

The car does run crap, it's basically like driving on a road with loads of potholes. Shaking / stuttering.

Things I've done, I've check compression by putting a bit of oil in the cylinder car ran the same.

Changed spark plugs then replaced coil pack from eurocarparts been told its the best one.

Then changed HT lead only for number 1.

All this and it's still not solved the issue.

I'm thinking it's a fuel issue.

It was driving fine yesterday, no problems real joy to drive. But gave car to brother and comes back misfiring and all he says is it sounds like a muscle car no help.

If it is fuel which is the only thing left to check, why does it do this when I've got like 99 miles left on the tank?

Car has been stood for like a day but car still ran fine after.

Or is the cluster just being stupid and saying I have fuel when I don't like on Mercedes?

Any help will be appreciated.

When you say you have checked the compression by putting oil in the cylinder.. Did you check with a gauge? Putting oil in and driving the car is not proving anything, the oil will just burn off

Not with an actual gauge I don't have one. I just don't know how it's started having issues when before it was smooth.

Not with an actual gauge I don't have one. I just don't know how it's started having issues when before it was smooth.

To test the compression you will need a gauge.

It could be a burnt valve - it does happen with no warning I'm afraid. I have just done a bit of work on a VW polo for this reason.

Have you checked injectors?

the purpose of using a bit of oil is to see if there is any difference in compression when some oil is added since the oil acts as a seal but you need a guage to check with and without oil if there is difference

Try pulling the plugs 1 by 1 to check each cylinder

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Injectors look fine. I had the dash test mode on with fuel displayed with laptop connected and fuel injection looks fine. I'm being told that my engine is gone. Time to get rid of car. But don't want to I really just want it to be a little thing. Are the valve seals hard to change?

Ok I just brought a testing kit for £10 off eBay. Hopefully I get it soon. But anyone have any other tests to do? What is it most likely to be?

Use a large screwdriver on each injector to make sure you can hear it clicking. Just because they look fine doesn't mean they are.

You are being told your engine is gone? That really needs investigation and evidence to support it, why has that conclusion been drawn?

• Like 1

You are being told your engine is gone? That really needs investigation and evidence to support it, why has that conclusion been drawn?

My exact thought

Stef I don't know what you mean by use a large screw driver. Do you mean take all the spark plugs out and shove a long screw driver down and see how it sounds and compare to the others?

I do have break down cover do you think they would have a compression tester?

Use it like a stethoscope. Hold it against each injector and put it to your ear. You will hear them ticking loudly if you do it correctly.

Be careful to stay away from ht leads.

I do have break down cover do you think they would have a compression tester?

Worth a try

I will try that. I'm gonna try calling breakdown get them to send someone out, see what they say. Hopefully it's a easy fix.

Hope it's not a burnt valve.. An injector would be a better answer. You can pick up a set of them cheap enough

Ok ignition system working all good, fuel injectors work all good. All that left is compression and most likely I will have a prob there.

Sorry if I've missed it, you have checked that cylinder 1 spark plug is sparking?

Yh is sparks. I lifted it a bit to hear and you can hear it. But sound weaker then the other 3 but the ht lead I tested works and so does the coil pack.

Ok cylinder 1 has failed the compression test only having 50 compared to 120 on the other 3. So we are talking a big problem .

Oh boy that is a big problem

I know. No I have to track down why it's losing compression.

Have you got a compression tester now? Put a bit oil in and try again, any improvement will indicate rings. If there is no change, it's probably a valve.

Ok. I tried it dry.