Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My First Mondeo

KPF

Hello all,

I'm new here and have just bought a 2006 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 TDCi 130. It looks fantastic for its age and milleage (116500) and drives great. I am very pleased with it, except for one thing, when idling it's so noisy. I'm told that this is not unusual for this model. I have searched the net about this and apparently there is a kit available which may get rid of this noise as it appears to be related to something called the auxiliary drive belt.

I wonder if any of you experienced Mondeo owners out there have knowledge of this issue and whether I should fork out the money and get it done? I can't do it myself so I would need to pay someone to do it for me. So assuming I should get it done what sort of money do you think it would cost? Is it cost effective to get it done? in other words will something go BANG eventually if I don't get it done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul.

Yes, it is common on this model and it can be an expensive repair

You can get a gates kit, it is advisable to replace the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, as well as the crank pulley, best to use a genuine Ford crank pulley

It is a common misconseption that if the blt snaps it may damage the engine, this is because less knowlegable owners get this mixed up with the cam belt (Mondeo mk3 diesels 2.0/2.2s do not have cam belts)

The aux belt drives the AC pump and the alternator, if it snaps, the engine can still run but the AC will not work (insignificant) and (more seriously) the alternator will stop charging the battery, but if you were careful to not use electical power you could still run the car (in daylight) to get you home or to drive to a garage etc, if it snapped

Often the rattling is bad at tickover and goes away at higher revs - and can get worse as time goes on

Good summary by FOCA, and I would add that you'll have to do it eventually, so why not get it done as soon as you can afford it (get a quote from an independant, rather than Ford, who will probably charge a fortune)? Then you'll get to enjoy the car running well, as soon as you can.

Hello Paul, welcome to the Forum. I have an identical, all be it two years older, Mondeo which we bought with this problem. But as I work in a Motor Factors I got the parts for a more reasonable price and found a Mechanic doing private work to fit it for me (along with a new Clutch & DMF & new exhaust so far) for a very good price (just as well!!). So hope this will help you a bit.

Belt number is Gates 6PK1640 Should cost no more than £15.00 inc VAT.

Tensioner number is Gates T38354 or INA 534016910 which are about £150.00.

Amazing how quite it is now! Oh and our Power Steering Pump was replaced as well so bear that in mind as well!

Hope that helps you somewhat!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for your replies guys - very helpful. I can't get this sorted just yet (lack of funds) but I would be interested if there is anyone in North west Kent/South east London (Dartford - Bromley areas) who knows someone who would do this job for a reasonable price, but not just yet.

Thanks,

Paul.

I'm in a couple of weeks getting my full timing and aux belt change done with an indie in Medway. £210, parts and labour - hes a "mobile mechanic" but I am taking the car to him at his house to do the work as there is more space. I will be happy to share the details if you want to have a word with him, or if you want I can wait and see he does a good job first?

Thanks James, Yes I would be interested in knowing how the car sounds and drives afterwards, and also, how long it lasts before the noise returns. I say that because I read on another forum that sometimes, after a couple of years or so (depending on mileage), the noise returns. Chris said his car is now much quieter but I'm still not 100 per cent convinced I should get it done. The person I bought the car from (a work colleague) said that his mechanic was of the opinion that it wouldn't make much difference to the noise. And incidentally I called my local Ford dealer this afternoon (Bristol Street Motors in Bromley) and was told that "we are not aware of any issues regarding this engine". I mentioned the stuff about the auxiliary drive belt etc etc but they still said the same thing "no issues". This I find unbelievable because from what I read on another forum there was a Technical service Bulletin* issued some years back by Ford about this very issue. Why Bristol Street Motors should lie to me, if that is the case, I do not know?

£210 sounds like a reasonable price to get this job done but as Chris said, what about the clutch & DMF, should I get those done too? There is no problem with the clutch as far as I can tell. As I said in my OP it drives really well for a car that's got 116500 on the clock and I really enjoy driving it. It's a shame that it's got this noise issue. If it weren't for that it would be a almost "perfect" car!

Thanks,

Paul.

p.s. I have attached the TSB* if anyone is interested.

1284405585-Pulley_Guide.pdf

just bear in mind I have the MK4 now MK3, and I am just getting a standard timing belt etc service done. so just getting a new timing, aux belt and all the tensioners and pullies, I am not going down the line of fitting the same kit.

I would however say if the clutch and DMF hasnt been done, its well worth getting it done at this point, as it will only cause you trouble later!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club