Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Dash Cam For Mk2 Focus????

sonic113

ok Im looking to get a dash cam and what to know whats the best to get for the best money. Been looking into them and have come up with what i think I want from a dash cam so here goes.

ideally it should be:

- as small and as discrete as possible.

- Have a wide angle to cover most of the front window view (as close to 180 degrees as possible).

- Be capable of making out Reg Numbers at a decent distance.

- Have decent viewing at nighttime.

- Maybe have a screen so you can view on the spot footage??

what do you guys think and if you have any dash cams installed can you let me know what you recommend. also show some pictured if you can.

Also any mk2 focus owners who have one installed whats is the best one to get and the best way to install it. Ideally behind the rear view mirror i would think but not sure and it is better to hardwire it into the car or plug and play through power socket?

thanks guys

Its not a case of the best for it, but a case of the best for your needs.

There is the Mobius dashcam, the GS8000L (I have this one) And there is the 808 which Byr0n has recently bought:.

Click each for a link to the threads.

Lets put it this way, My camera is located up behind the mirror, my car went in for work recently and none of the mech's in the garage even noticed it! (sadly because I sat there and watched the footage after it came back to see if they actually did the work they advised). 2 hours in the garage and not one of them picked up on it, not even the chap who drove my car into the garage for the work.

Mine has a built in screen, the others do not which is one of your requirements. I believe mine is a 120 degree lens, but placed in the centre of the windscreen you get a good view. Take a look at my thread for some videos'.

Small and discrete, the Mobius is smaller still, mine has got the pokeout lens of course, and the chrome coloured trim, so in that respect the mobius is more discrete, but I have been living with mine for long enough now, its in the cars windscreen 24/7 and has been now for the best part of 6 months and no one has looked twice at it.

All three seem to have a relatively good night time viewing, and can make number plates out relatively well, you might find that the Mobius is slightly higher in ranking than minem but again there are some videos so that you can compare for yourself.

Have a look at my Mindel the Mondeo thread for some more pictures of this in my Mondeo. The ones in my GS8000L Thread linked above are where it was situated in the CMAX.

• Like 1

ok Im looking to get a dash cam and what to know whats the best to get for the best money. Been looking into them and have come up with what i think I want from a dash cam so here goes.

ideally it should be:

- as small and as discrete as possible.

- Have a wide angle to cover most of the front window view (as close to 180 degrees as possible).

- Be capable of making out Reg Numbers at a decent distance.

- Have decent viewing at nighttime.

- Maybe have a screen so you can view on the spot footage??

what do you guys think and if you have any dash cams installed can you let me know what you recommend. also show some pictured if you can.

Also any mk2 focus owners who have one installed whats is the best one to get and the best way to install it. Ideally behind the rear view mirror i would think but not sure and it is better to hardwire it into the car or plug and play through power socket?

thanks guys

i bought this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301042725960

good qaulity pictures and cheap enough .

id put video up but not sure how

http://youtu.be/UM67-Dwomao

Thats mine John :D video examples on my GS8000L thread I posted the link to earlier ;)

You can post your own, if they are on youtube. Press the special BB code button (to the left of FONT and SIZE in the box you reply to this message with). Then, choose Media, and pop the URL in.

Nice and easy!

I've just installed a variant of the F70 dual lens setup.

The camera itself is smaller than the average wallet and sits nicely behind the mirror. I don't know if it's because I know it's there, but it doesn't look that discreet. BUT it is really easy to remove. I stuck the sticky pad mount on the dotted area around the mirror. From the outside, if you look really hard - you can JUST see it.

The rear camera is in the top offside corner of the rear screen. This looks a bit like the old mobile antenna pads and isn't overly obvious as to what it is.

I haven't looked at any footage properly yet.

I followed the guide to install an ignition live power source. (Although the guide is the the C-Max, it is the same fuse to piggy back in the mk 2.5)

The camera and wiring stuff came to a little over £40.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Sean can you post up a picture of your set up please? I wanna see how discreet it looks

thanks for the reply guys.

hey jeebowhite i cant believe that the guys working at your car never noticed it, when i get time later i will look through your thread at more detail of the camera you have.

quick questions

how long have you had it installed?

has it been pretty reliable for you since you got it?

thanks again guys

Möbius is very discreet, mine can't be seen at all when driving and you have to look from the outside. Completely fit and forget.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

ok james had a look at the GS8000L and i think this might be the one i will go for. i like the size and the quality of your video links are spot on, i would be happy with thus one.

do you take it our of the car when your not in it jut in case of thieves??

also are you still using the suction pad mount or the sticky type on?

and one last question (for now any hows lol!) do you recommend hard wiring it into the car?

sorry for all question but trying to get a idea of these dash cams as I know very little about them just what i have seen on you tube in reviews. I like your thread on the GS8000L very informative.

Thanks again

Thanks Sonic, glad my thread was of use to you.

I leave it, fit and forget. Had it in for 6 months so far and havent taken it out other than to copy the files to the computer. I did take it out for a couple of weeks whilst my car was in for repair, the battery ran down and it triggered a reset to factory settings. I forgot to switch the loop recording on so I ended up having the memory card kept filling up and I couldnt figure it out, but now its back to perfect health.

As for hardwiring, I kinda cheated. I wired in a spare 12v under the centre console then just plugged the 12v - USB cable, ran the wire up the driver pillar, behind the door seal, up to the windscreen, along the top and behind the headlining and plug it in. It uses a suction cup to stick to the windscreen, and as long as you dont try to stick it to the shaded area its fine (if you do, you might want to use some strong velcro. the Mondeo powers off the 12v after 20 minutes from deadlock, so the spare socket goes off with this. Alternatively, you could wire the 12v off an ignition live (like the radio or the ignition lines) and operate it from there.

Its fallen down about once a month, but thats when the blistering sun just keeps heating it up and expands, and comes out. Otherwise it stays up the rest of the time and as soon as I put the thing back on the windscreen.

Sean can you post up a picture of your set up please? I wanna see how discreet it looks

Yep, no problem

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

As promised - a few pics of the F70 setup

Not sure how good they are - haven't looked at them on anything other than my phone

post-37110-140209125469_thumb.jpgpost-37110-140209127351_thumb.jpgpost-37110-140209128957_thumb.jpgpost-37110-140209130194_thumb.jpg

very discrete! it blends in very well!

What did you do to lay the wire to the back? did it interfere with the curtain airbags.

The camera wire tucks in nicely behind the boot lid trim and through the rubber and then tucks in just behind all the plastic trim/headlining - can't see how it'd interfere with anything - it's just laid loose most of the way. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll check that in a bit!!

At the a pillar it follows the existing wiring down as per the guide.

Looks a good setup!

was thinking about a rear cam as well but dont know what to do yet. does any one that a rear cam is needed or would a front cam be enough?

say like if you get hit from behind someone ran into you then its obvious that their at fault but if for example they said you reversed into them well would your front dash cam not show that you were stationary at the moment of impact?

was just thinking about this when browsing the dash cams and came across dual ones.

what you guys think?

I want to get one for the rear, but I had some numpty hit me from behind, the front cam caught it and I used it as evidence in the insurance claim.

Here:

Go to 5 minutes and watch. The evidence was clear enough.

I will however be getting a rear cam at some point, its just a case of cost and when I can afford to (hopefully not too distant future). Its well worth getting one though. I am half tempted to just buy another GS for the rear to be honest. I am also contemplating the idea of one of the others on the forum for the purpose of rear viewing, but strongly leaning towards the GS.

As promised - a few pics of the F70 setup

Not sure how good they are - haven't looked at them on anything other than my phone

attachicon.gif1402091251777.jpgattachicon.gif1402091271643.jpgattachicon.gif1402091287325.jpgattachicon.gif1402091298889.jpg

that looks good. thanks Sean

just wondering if the dark tinted windows in the rear would casue any quality issues for a rear camera?

The windows aren't tinted - the quality is okay - obviously not IMAX movie quality, but for £40ish it'll do the job.

The only problem I do have with the back is that it's outside of the swept arc so the screen there is quite dirty. I was going to upload some sample videos (front/rear, day/night)...but err...I dropped the memory card down between my bed and wall lol

James I think the gs would be ideal for the rear as well.c an you make out reg numbers on the gs?

also is it possible to wire the front and rear gs cams into the one power cord and then wire that one power cord into a power point in the car?

I am going to be getting one in the next month or so and I think that the gs is maybe the one for me. can you send me any pics of your set up just to I see what it looks like from the out side and how discrete it is on the inside?

thanks

have a look at my build threads - bus build thread and mindel mondeo (links in signature) for how I had it setup on the CMAX and how I now have it on my CMAX. If you go to my review thread, there are some video's there that show the quality and you can make number plates out

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for certain in-car cameras.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for certain in-car cameras.

Regards,

Dan.

Would help if you list them Dan!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Also worth noting that many cameras are sold under a variety of names

James

I've purchased the same camera as you - now, what is the max size card I can use in it? should i run a 32 or 64gb card in it?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club