Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,739 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Gs is still good but has reverted back to its non looking ways. It's no big issue about 5 clicks of buttons and it's fixed.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#92 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

That cable can provide video and audio out whilst powering the mobius. You need an otg cable from the seller and a compatible android.

A capacitor is not a replacement for the battery, as it cannot be used for recording without external power like a battery can, the only purpose of the capacitor is to maintain enough power after the cable has been unplugged, long enough to save the last video file, that's it, nothing else.

I'm not sold on changing the battery for a capacitor even if heat wise it's a bit cooler because a really worn out battery will still always have enough power to save it's video file no matter how old it is or over charged it is, it only needs a few mA for 2-3 seconds.

The link I posted is the best and already proven/used by myself and others. Price has also dropped by 1 pound since u bought mine

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

#93 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Name: Sonic
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk2.5
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Thanks kurt I will put the trust in you guys and go for it. It will be ordered at the end of the month.
I ment to ask what's the longest time you have had it record at any one time and was there much of a heat issue?

Also is yours hard wired in to car or did you add an extra 12v socket?
I'm looking forward to This cam I can't believe thew size of it, has to be easily the most discrete dash can on the market. I'm glad I have finally settled on one because there is so many out there.

#94 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

I've had my Mobius since about Feb/March and all working well - bought it after reading the very good reviews on various forums.  I made a custom mount to put it behind the drivers side of the rearview mirror and hardwired back to an ignition live fuse tap under the glove box (fit and forget, and very discrete).  I take it out every now and then to download any interesting footage and it has always shown what I expected.  The only thing is that I have a magnetic mount and I don't always align it perfectly so sometimes have the corner of the rain sensor in the picture if its a bit skew, but no big problem.

The longest trip I have done with it filming is about 13 hours non stop (well only for fuel and toilet stops) and while the heatsink was hot to touch it didn't cause it any problems.

To be honest the cost of these things is no more than a reasonable meal out (and I don't see too many people spending weeks deciding which restaurant to go to on a Saturday night).  I would just order it to try and you will be pleasently surprised

#95 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

South bound
Thanks for replie. Wow 13 hours lol! Don't think I would do that much of a journey at most it would be t a trip with the kids to somewhere and that at Max would be 2 to 2-1/2 hours with a shop stop on the way lol!.

Im gonna get the Möbius and see how things go. Looking at videos here and youtube the quality is great so I think its the one.

Have you got any pics of your install and your homemade mount?

Cheers.

#96 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah that was an all nighter pulling a trailer loaded with furniture, got off the ferry in Cherbourg at 5pm and rolled up in the south of France at 6am next day. Not something to do every day.

I'll get some photos tonight and post them.  I did put some pictures of the wiring on here somewhere and I'll see if I can find them and put up the link.

#97 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

long journey indeed. 

will look forward to the pics thanks again.

#98 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Ok guys I took the long awaited plunge and ordered the Möbius today. So looking forward to getting it up and running.
😀

#99 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Can any one recommend a decent but reliable memory card that works with the Möbius?I don't think the one I ordered has one with it.

Cheers.

#100 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Sorry about the delay in getting these posted - this is my home made mount for the Mobius.  It is basically a metal L bracket bent to fit the slope of the windscreen, wrapped in matt black tape and siliconed to the the glass.  I tried double sided tape but that didn't hold long in the heat and diect sun but silicone really does the job.

Then I tie wrapped a thin steel plate to the Mobius case and use a magnet to hold this to the bracket.  At first I used the tripod mount with a short bolt through a hole in the bracket but decided that the magnet idea would make it easier to take the camera on and off to review footage etc.  This is good to do every now and then to make sure it is still recording as it should (which it is) and also to build up a collection of clips of dangerous or unusual driving habits, or just anything of interest.  I might find time to edit it into a compilation sometime...maybe.

The whole lot is mounted just behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side.  There is not much room there but I find it better and more stealthy than the other side and it is easier to check the LEDs from there.  None of my passengers have ever noticed it so far.

The wiring is hard wired into the passger footwell fuse box to an ignition live using fuse tap.  The wire runs up the A pillar and behind the rain sensor cover so completely invisable until it comes out right at the back side of the mirror.  I got a right-angled USB connector to get the cable going in the right direction towards the mirror to make it easier to fit.

Here is a picture taken from the driver's door.

CIMG9557.JPG

Here is a picture from the outside facing directly into the wind screen

CIMG9559.JPG

Hope it helps for when you get yours delivered and ready to use.

#101 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

This is a screenshot of a video from this evening - it is a 60mph A road and this is typical of some of the tail-gating that goes on over here.  The quality of the mobius is great and pausing the video when the cars are closer, I can easily read off the number plate if ever I needed some evidence.

vlcsnap-2014-07-21-21h11m01s112.png

#102 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the pics.

Great idea for a mount. Its actually unnoticeable both inside and out.
Are you using a battery or a capacitor inside your Möbius? I was reading on techmoan and dashcamtalk that a capacitor is better for long-term use in a hot car but don't know if this is accurate info or not.

Is it a difficult job to hardwire it into the car and what materials are required?

I'm still waiting on mine coming in the post may take another week or two but can't wait to get it installed. Once again great idea on the mount and hidden installation.

The screen shot does show great quality. I'm actually glad now I went with the Möbius. Just the wait now is a drag but will be well worth it. Are you running a rear cam?

Thanks

#103 TheShipsCat

TheShipsCat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Ron
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec in Frozen White
  • Year: 2013

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi Guys,

For the last three years I have used the Blackvue 400HD and it worked perfectly , this actual model is no longer available , but there are newer models , it was a bit expensive but we managed to get a group buy with a previous forum.

I have now returned to Ford as my Octavia VRS died after 168,000 miles in 4 years , I am very pleased with the Focus MK3, only problem for me is getting used to the capless fuel system !!

I have started to install the camera in the Focus, have run the cable from top of screen to fuse box under the glovebox, and have a piggy back fuse connector ready to plug in.

My question is, which is a suitable fuse position to use that is controlled by the ignition?. I did tap into the AC fuse but that was live all the time.

Thanks for any advice.

#104 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: MONDEO
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sorry about the delay in getting these posted - this is my home made mount for the Mobius.  It is basically a metal L bracket bent to fit the slope of the windscreen, wrapped in matt black tape and siliconed to the the glass.  I tried double sided tape but that didn't hold long in the heat and diect sun but silicone really does the job.

Then I tie wrapped a thin steel plate to the Mobius case and use a magnet to hold this to the bracket.  At first I used the tripod mount with a short bolt through a hole in the bracket but decided that the magnet idea would make it easier to take the camera on and off to review footage etc.  This is good to do every now and then to make sure it is still recording as it should (which it is) and also to build up a collection of clips of dangerous or unusual driving habits, or just anything of interest.  I might find time to edit it into a compilation sometime...maybe.

The whole lot is mounted just behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side.  There is not much room there but I find it better and more stealthy than the other side and it is easier to check the LEDs from there.  None of my passengers have ever noticed it so far.

The wiring is hard wired into the passger footwell fuse box to an ignition live using fuse tap.  The wire runs up the A pillar and behind the rain sensor cover so completely invisable until it comes out right at the back side of the mirror.  I got a right-angled USB connector to get the cable going in the right direction towards the mirror to make it easier to fit.

Here is a picture taken from the driver's door.

attachicon.gifCIMG9557.JPG

Here is a picture from the outside facing directly into the wind screen

attachicon.gifCIMG9559.JPG

Hope it helps for when you get yours delivered and ready to use.

Nice job, as Sonic says, great idea and unnoticable.

Was it any specific silicone and could it also be affected by the heat from the glass and in the car? obviously not as quickly as the tape.

#105 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

To answer these questions all together:

I am using the stock battery, but as it is hardwired and it only draws power for the 10s it needs to power down when the ignition is switched off.  I read that the battery does reduce in capacity over time but I'll see how long that takes before putting in a super capacitor or new battery (which are only a couple of quid anyway).  I like that I can take the camera out and use it off the battery if I want to.

My install is shown in this thread  http://www.fordowner...dashcam/page-14  It is worth reading the whole thread and there is some really good stuff in there to make the most of the Mobius.  Basically I only needed a piggy back fuse tap, a 3m long cable which included a 12V to 5V transformer and ended in a 90 degree mini USB connector which plugs into the back of the Mobius.  I added a second cable to the storage compartment on the dash for my SatNav which was easy to do as well.

I can't remember which fuse I tapped into but it is in the thread I have linked above and is ignition live, which means it is only powered when I turn on the ignition.

I don't run a rear cam but this could be an option sometime if I want to.

I used normal bathroom clear silicone, although my first attempt used stuff I had for gutter repair and it fell off so not all silicones are the same.  This one has held firm for a few months now and that includes days at 35 degrees in full sun without any problem.  I basically squirted it onto the back of the mount and pressed it onto the screen, wiping off the excess.  Not sure what happens if I need to take it off, but I'll worry about that when I need to.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford, focus, dashcam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users