Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very High Fuel Consumption, 1.6 Petrol Ford Focus 08 Zetec Climate 116 ..

umonpour

Hi there,

I bought this car 2 months ago, when i first bought
this car i was getting 55 Miles for £10, roughly 7.85 litters. Average
MPG 27.5. Which is still bad comparing to the manufacturing standard.
All town driving.

Car: Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol, 116 ZETEC CLIMATE

Ever
since yesterday, all of a sudden my fuel consumption went up the roof.
£10 petrol it only gives me 20 miles. When I drive for about 0.4 miles, 1
miles takes away from the estimate fuel meter. Even when the car engine
is on, fuel automatically decreases, I checked down, no leak. Car
engine was on for 5 min, fuel estimate reduced from 88miles to 74miles.

Took
it to my local mechanic, he drove the car, couldn’t see any problem,
not leak at the front. Asked me to do a proper check up with the
machine.

I was wondering, can someone help me with this please?? What might be the problem?

Many thanks for your time.

Of course it will go down idling its still burning fuel and its normal for town driving 30mpg is normal if its heavy traffic 27mpg is about right so simply put you dont have a problem im afraid the ti vct is better suited to longer journeys rather than town and remember when idling the car will burn more fuel

I dont mind about the average MPG..

Since yesterday, 8 liter of petrol don't last me 20 miles which is very worrying for me. consuming 60% more petrol than usual. what could be reason to this?

n Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it

injector leakage? torn induction hose, causing car to over fuel due to increase in air?

Well if youve run the tank low then it takes 50 miles worth of fuel just to fill the reserve sounds to me like youre running on the reserve and not correctly resetting the trip computer including average mpg if youre in heavy stop start traffic youll use a lot more fuel

There are a number of things it could be, certainly sounds like either overfuelling or a leak somewhere. I would start by turning the engine off for a few hours, pop the bonnet and sniff around, can you smell raw petrol? if not, start the engine, rev it a little then stick your head under, can you smell petrol now? it could be an injector seal.

Sniff around the fuel filter, and see if there is any small leaks from there. Depending on the age and quality of the fuel filter, it could well be a place for a leak.

Top the car up with a full tank, find a bumpy road and drive over it a few times. it could be as simple as a sticking Fuel Sender Unit giving misreadings and misinterpretation of the fuel thats left, you might not have a leak at all, but this follows on from Arthurs comment.

Sniff around the fuel filter, and see if there is any small leaks from there. Depending on the age and quality of the fuel filter, it could well be a place for a leak.

no fuel filter fitted to the ti-vct engine.

i say stop being tight and tank it and then see what your getting. my mums saloon gets 27-30 MPG round town and a tank last about 300-325 miles

• Like 1

Fair comment Nannak, for a moment I forgot the fuel filter is the lifetime one in the tank! D'oh!

• 5 years later...

I've just had a service on 2006Focus 2Litre ..done 130,000km..so ..new tyres ..allignment..brake rotors.. etc ..prior to service 8L/100km...now its 11L/100km.. it drove well before and drives well now.. no odours or squeals... what's up?please help!!

• 2 years later...

my ford focus is ridiculous on petrol no way it should not go through fuel the way it does dont want to go to a garage because im afraid it will be a big bill for a little job 

13 hours ago, ja5653 said:

my ford focus is ridiculous on petrol no way it should not go through fuel the way it does dont want to go to a garage because im afraid it will be a big bill for a little job 

This is a very old post. And you don't give spec of car, but:

Is it serviced properly?

Correct oil etc?

Air cleaner clean?

Good plugs, HT leads (if petrol)

The only way to find true MPG is to brim the tank to the first click on pump.

Re-set Trip to Zero

Drive as normal for 50-100 miles

Go back to same petrol station and same pump

Fill tank back up to one click

Work out how many miles you did on the trip to how many litres it took to fill back up to first click

You will then have true MPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 2008 1.6 petrol titanium ford focus  thanks for the advice 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club